BigOrange1

horse racing thread

Anyone betting the Belmont today?  It seems like a chalky kind of race with Tacitus and War of Will as the favorites.  I’m thinking about taking a shot on some of the bigger prices (Tax, Master Fencer, Spinoff, or Sir Winston) since it is such a unique race.  But I am having a hard time convincing myself that any of them have a chance.

5 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

Anyone betting the Belmont today?  It seems like a chalky kind of race with Tacitus and War of Will as the favorites.  I’m thinking about taking a shot on some of the bigger prices (Tax, Master Fencer, Spinoff, or Sir Winston) since it is such a unique race.  But I am having a hard time convincing myself that any of them have a chance.

Don't know if I am going to go bet it. I do have a problem with War of Will in this race. There have been many great horses that won the first two races of the Triple Crown that were not able to win the Belmont. They were racing in all three of the races and had to try this race against fresh horses. It seems the War of Will should have the same problem and he is not as good as those horses. Even though he did not win the Derby, he did race in it and will have to beat fresh horses.

I took a shot on Sir Winston to win and show.  That should win $270ish.  Takes some of the sting away from the Kentucky Derby.

Timeline:

Apr 7th - wins Santa Anita Derby and fails drug test

Apr 26th - CA racing board informs Baffert, who requests a second test by an independent lab

May 5th - wins the Kentucky Derby (presumably passes all tests)

May 8th - second lab confirms the failed test

May 19th - wins Preakness (presumably passes all tests)

June 9th - wins Belmont and Triple Crown (presumably passes all tests)

Aug 23rd - CA board decides to drop the case for unknown reasons; other tracks say they were unaware of the entire incident.

the most suspicious part is the delay in informing Baffert after the Apr 7th failed drug test. Of course this gives them the time to delay the second results until AFTER the Kentucky Derby.

of course...

giphy.gif