Aggy at LSU - 6pm ESPN

LonghornSean

54 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

LSU don't give 2 fucks about aggy.  Maybe Arkansas would be better for aggy.

Oh, I know. Why would they? To LSU, aggy is a fly in the house that won’t go away. This year was the first year they were actually really motivated to beat the fuck out of them, and sure enough... 

25 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oklahoma ran a spread too.

But I agree, nothing in my 15 years of watching A&M (and the overall history) has led me to believe that they're capable of going a season without losing at least one game that they shouldn't have.

Oklahoma didn't want to be there...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oklahoma ran a spread too. How'd they do?

But I agree, nothing in my 15 years of watching A&M (and their overall history) has led me to believe that they're capable of going a season without losing at least one game that they shouldn't have.

What? They did it this year. They didn't lose any games they should have won. You could say auburn but clearly they are better than A&M. They are who we thought they were. 

18 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What? They did it this year. They didn't lose any games they should have won. You could say auburn but clearly they are better than A&M. They are who we thought they were. 

You're right, but there's still a bowl game to play!

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Oklahoma ran a spread too. How'd they do?

But I agree, nothing in my 15 years of watching A&M (and their overall history) has led me to believe that they're capable of going a season without losing at least one game that they shouldn't have.

OU was disappointed to be in a non NY6 and non BCS bowl and didn’t want to be there.  For aggy it was their best bowl game in a generation.  

56 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Snuck up during a month of bowl preparation? Okay.

The SEC sucked dick that year...but so did the Big XII. Oklahoma and Kansas State were the co-champs and both got boat raced by the high-powered run/pass offenses of A&M and Oregon.

A&M was better than anyone in the Big XII that year, but that sure as shit doesn't mean that they would have gone undefeated. They would have face-planted somewhere--probably Baylor--it's what we do.

Meh, A&M struggled to beat both LaTech and an Ole Miss team that Texas completely dominated.  I don't think the Ags were better than everyone in the B12 that year.

But if it's any consolation, we both agree that your team likely would have face-planted somewhere along the way.  Several times, even.  Losing 4 games per season in the B12 is what the ags do.

19 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

OU was disappointed to be in a non NY6 and non BCS bowl and didn’t want to be there.  For aggy it was their best bowl game in a generation.  

The NY6 didn't exist back then. The Cotton Bowl is one of the 6 currently, and it was the most prestigious non-BCS game at the time. Not bad for a team with 2 losses that lost to the team that they shared the conference championship with. The "didn't want to be there" excuse is every bit as pathetic when you say it as it is when some SEC moron does.

Edited by aggie08

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Meh, A&M struggled to beat both LaTech and an Ole Miss team that Texas completely dominated.  I don't think the Ags were better than everyone in the B12 that year.

And A&M beat a team by 28 that Texas lost to by 42. Who cares? The transitive property is fucking stupid.

The point you're intentionally avoiding is that A&M's defense feasted on shitty offensive design that year. They did well with a month to prepare for Oklahoma. Without a month to prepare they gave up over 600 yards to Louisiana Tech and even gave up over 500 yards to a 4-8 Arkansas team (although admittedly that was a bunch of garbage time). Playing two decent offensive schemes over the course of the season isn't impressive.

They would have lost multiple games in the Big 12. If they had been able to combine their 2011 defense with their 2012 offense then they would have been a threat to go undefeated. But they didn't so they weren't.

The NY6 didn't exist back then. The Cotton Bowl is one of the 6 currently, and it was the most prestigious non-BCS game at the time. Not bad for a team with 2 losses that lost to the team that they shared the conference championship with. The "didn't want to be there" excuse is every bit as pathetic when you say it as it is when some SEC moron does.

Might want to check that sarcasm meter. And get the sand out of your vagina while you’re at it.
  • Like 2

I love "It's A Wonderful Life", watch it at least once during the holiday season every year. Especially the part of the movie where Clarence takes Jimmy Stewart on a hypothetical trip to what things might have been like. And since we're revisiting a hypothetical 2012 I have to wonder if JFF would have won the Heisman if ags had still been in the 12. And since the horse is dead and continued beatings won't change that, I don't know that ND would have gotten in over an undefeated BXII champ. They weren't highly regarded that year until there was no one else to put in ahead of them.

Guys, we can argue about how 2012 A&M would have fared in the B12 in some hypothetical parallel universe all day long...

...shouldn't we instead just embrace the hilarious irony that their best player and team in decades lined up perfectly with a down B12 that year, but that they essentially fucked themselves by making the move that they all believed would redefine their program and thrust them into the national elite - which they may have actually done had they just stayed where they were?

Come on assholes, it is perfect the way it is. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Guys, we can argue about how 2012 A&M would have fared in the B12 in some hypothetical parallel universe all day long...

...shouldn't we instead just embrace the hilarious irony that their best player and team in decades lined up perfectly with a down B12 that year, but that they essentially fucked themselves by making the move that they all believed would redefine their program and thrust them into the national elite - which they may have actually done had they just stayed where they were?

^^^This^^^ Plus the certain knowledge that Aggy can be counted on to do similar things in the future!

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The point you're intentionally avoiding is that A&M's defense feasted on shitty offensive design that year. They did well with a month to prepare for Oklahoma. Without a month to prepare they gave up over 600 yards to Louisiana Tech and even gave up over 500 yards to a 4-8 Arkansas team (although admittedly that was a bunch of garbage time). Playing two decent offensive schemes over the course of the season isn't impressive.

They would have lost multiple games in the Big 12. If they had been able to combine their 2011 defense with their 2012 offense then they would have been a threat to go undefeated. But they didn't so they weren't.

I've readily admitted that the SEC sucked that year and helped A&M pile up blowouts.  But the Big XII was also way down in 2012.  Mediocre team with fun offenses are still mediocre teams.  I think we were better than anything the Big XII had to offer that year, but, you're right, shootouts introduce more variability to the outcome, and we would have been in multiple.  I tend to favor the team with the better QB in shootouts, but who knows what would/could have happened.

But pointing out how many yards that we gave up in a game that we won 58-10 is very, very aggy.  

So I'll do my aggy thing and point out that A&M held leads on LA Tech of 27-0, 34-7, and 46-23.  It wasn't some back-and-forth, tight, evenly matched game.  It was one hell of an impressive, frantic comeback against a shallow defense (made shallower by Sumlin finally enforcing suspensions on a few defensive starters).

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

This was the gist of my post until some dillrod took umbrage and started whining rather than realizing it for what it is the highest comedy in the most.vibrant set of tragic comedies.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I've readily admitted that the SEC sucked that year and helped A&M pile up blowouts.  But the Big XII was also way down in 2012.  Mediocre team with fun offenses are still mediocre teams.  I think we were better than anything the Big XII had to offer that year, but, you're right, shootouts introduce more variability to the outcome, and we would have been in multiple.  I tend to favor the team with the better QB in shootouts, but who knows what would/could have happened.

But pointing out how many yards that we gave up in a game that we won 58-10 is very, very aggy.  

So I'll do my aggy thing and point out that A&M held leads on LA Tech of 27-0, 34-7, and 46-23.  It wasn't some back-and-forth, tight, evenly matched game.  It was one hell of an impressive, frantic comeback against a shallow defense (made shallower by Sumlin finally enforcing suspensions on a few defensive starters).

And the much better and much more talented offenses of the B12 would have absolutely abused that shallow defense.  The game of football is about matchups.  2012 SEC teams were, for the most part, good matchups for the ags.  2012 B12 teams would have been miserable matchups for the ags.  

You disagree, I get it.  Normally you don't seem to bring your texags bullshit to this site, but I guess this one seems to be a blind spot for you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

And the much better and much more talented offenses of the B12 would have absolutely abused that shallow defense.  The game of football is about matchups.  2012 SEC teams were, for the most part, good matchups for the ags.  2012 B12 teams would have been miserable matchups for the ags.  

You disagree, I get it.  Normally you don't seem to bring your texags bullshit to this site, but I guess this one seems to be a blind spot for you.

My bullshit? That's rich. Remind me again what the current talking points are for why the game against Oklahoma--the 2nd best team in the conference who did whatever they wanted offensively against everyone in conference except K State--wasn't indicative of how A&M could potentially fare against the other, lesser teams in the Big XII? Ya know, the other miserable matchups that we'd have no chance of holding under 50.  Because known defensive genius Kevin Sumlin had a month to prepare? Got it.

It's a silly, fun, hypothetical argument, and either of us declaring anything definitively is stupid. I haven't done so. The most I've said is that I think we were better than anything the Big XII had to offer. No talk about undefeated seasons or National Championships. Shit, even if my wildest fantasies, I have us losing at least one game in that year's Big XII. You and others have no problem matter-of-factly assigning a handful of losses against mostly mediocre to bad teams, and that's cool...I do realize where I'm posting.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

My bullshit? That's rich. Remind me again what the current talking points are for why the game against Oklahoma--the 2nd best team in the conference who did whatever they wanted offensively against everyone in conference except K State--wasn't indicative of how A&M could potentially fare against the other, lesser teams in the Big XII? Ya know, the other miserable matchups that we'd have no chance of holding under 50.  Because known defensive genius Kevin Sumlin had a month to prepare? Got it.

It's a silly, fun, hypothetical argument, and either of us declaring anything definitively is stupid. I haven't done so. The most I've said is that I think we were better than anything the Big XII had to offer. No talk about undefeated seasons or National Championships. Shit, even if my wildest fantasies, I have us losing at least one game in that year's Big XII. You and others have no problem matter-of-factly assigning a handful of losses against mostly mediocre to bad teams, and that's cool...I do realize where I'm posting.

I believe you guys were just above .500 in the big 12 including the SWC.  That’s about where you are in the SEC. always mediocre 

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Snuck up during a month of bowl preparation? Okay.

The SEC sucked dick that year...but so did the Big XII. Oklahoma and Kansas State were the co-champs and both got boat raced by the high-powered run/pass offenses of A&M and Oregon.

A&M was better than anyone in the Big XII that year, but that sure as shit doesn't mean that they would have gone undefeated. They would have face-planted somewhere--probably Baylor--it's what we do.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Uhhhhh, wat?

Anyway, it is a silly stupid hypothetical of course, and it's easy to laugh alongside the folks pointing out that IF the ags really were better than all b12 teams that year, it makes it even more deliciously enjoyable that they chose that year to abandon the B12 in search of greener pastures.  I just don't believe that's correct.  And certainly no amount of denial from ags is going to change my opinion. :)

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You didn’t notice Louisiana Tech putting up 57 against your defense earlier in the year?  Or needing a butt ass luck fumble to beat an Ole Miss team we, an average team, butt fucked by 33 in Oxford?

aggy was playing really well in in November and January for a change. They weren’t in September and October.  Fucking Muschamp beat you in Kyle.  As did Zach Mettenberger.  

Big 12 offenses would have lit you up multiple times despite your defense having a great game against an OU team that hasn’t never given a fuck about the Cotton bowl.  

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

aggy was playing really well in in November and January for a change. They weren’t in September and October.  Fucking Muschamp beat you in Kyle.  As did Zach Mettenberger.

At least this part of your argument has substance. That year's team definitely got better every week with a new coach and system and a freshman QB. If we drew someone like Baylor or OSU early, maybe we don't have the playbook open wide enough to score enough points to keep up.  Draw them in November, and it's a different story.

But, for the love of god, stop using the transitive property. 

Edited by aggie08

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

At least this part of your argument has substance. That year's team definitely got better every week with a new coach and system and a freshman QB. If we drew someone like Baylor or OSU early, maybe we don't have the playbook open wide enough to score enough points to keep up.  Draw them in November, and it's a different story.

But, for the love of god, stop using the transitive property. 

spacer.png

• Haha 1