Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

McIvor will throw for roughly 3 trillion yards in that offense.

(assuming Kliffy makes it for those 4 years, or that they hire some other air raid disciple.) 

He could always do the same for Fedora or Leach 

Edited by Fud

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

UT legacy. If we didn't have Roschon this year and took only one last cycle, I would have liked this guy as a QB2 take:

He has been friendly with the TT program for a while now.  I think most any other year he'd be a slam dunk for the Raiders.  That said, one TTU pay site has already reported that mom has already been asking about who will be the TT head coach year.

Clearly it's an issue for them as well as anyone else they're recruiting.

7 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

He has been friendly with the TT program for a while now.  I think most any other year he'd be a slam dunk for the Raiders.  That said, one TTU pay site has already reported that mom has already been asking about who will be the TT head coach year.

Lubbock is the perfect place for McIvor and Kliff is the perfect coach for him.  He grew up in Fort Davis and supposedly was kind of taken aback by the bright lights and big city feel of San Angelo when he moved there his sophomore year.  He might enjoy Pullman though if he visits.  It's probably more like where he grew up than any major college town in America. It's probably too far from mama though. 

I think Tech would be the overwhelming favorite but for the fact that Kliff might not be around to tutor the kid.  I see between 6-8 losses on Tech's schedule next season and I think Kliff has to go at least 7-5 to keep his job.  My guess is that mama McIvor is looking at the same schedule I'm looking at and trying to figure out how Kliff keeps his job.  Maybe if Tech comes out strong and beats Ole Miss in the opener it will get some recruiting momentum going but that one I've marked as a "L" for now.

33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is Kliff a good recruiter but not really head coach material?

He's awfully young. He wasn't ready for this head coaching job, but he might learn and do better next time.  He'll get another head coaching chance in a few years after being a top OC at Texas and basically learning the Urban Meyer way of doing things from Herman.  We'll see how he does the next go around. 

56 minutes ago, Bevo said:

As a Tech fan who follows the program pretty closely, candor requires me to reply that no, KK is not a good recruiter overall.    There were expectations upon his hiring that his age as well as overall happening guy reputation would serve him well on the recruiting trail.  Hasn't been the case at all.

That said, we're talking about a QB here and that's the one area he's been relatively effective.  Mahomes, Davis Webb (3rd rounder), Baker Mayfield, and  Manziel are all guys he's had a hand in recruiting and developing.  Even last season's weak sister Nic Shimonek signed a free agent deal.

In addition, Jacob Zeno has been listed as a Tech lean by even non TTU sites. My guess is that is not going to happen as Ga. is really recruiting him hard and he seems to keep extending his decision date.  Visited TT multiple times though.  Again, KK's job security is a concern.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

below avg recruiter, Leach was recruiting at a much higher level. I think it's another example of a coach who wasn't ready to be a hc 

8 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

As a Tech fan who follows the program pretty closely, candor requires me to reply that no, KK is not a good recruiter overall.    There were expectations upon his hiring that his age as well as overall happening guy reputation would serve him well on the recruiting trail.  Hasn't been the case at all.

That said, we're talking about a QB here and that's the one area he's been relatively effective.  Mahomes, Davis Webb (3rd rounder), Baker Mayfield, and  Manziel are all guys he's had a hand in recruiting and developing.  Even last season's weak sister Nic Shimonek signed a free agent deal.

In addition, Jacob Zeno has been listed as a Tech lean by even non TTU sites. My guess is that is not going to happen as Ga. is really recruiting him hard and he seems to keep extending his decision date.  Visited TT multiple times though.  Again, KK's job security is a concern.

Well he's def on the hot seat, the only reason they brought him back is because of the flop Texas took in the 4th qt. If they lose to Texas he was going to be fired. 

On 5/10/2018 at 1:36 PM, pigmeat markham said:

Have to recruit parents as well as the player.

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Baylor football signee runs the fastest 100 meters in State history:  10.04.  He has good size, too. 

Think it was Roach that loved this kid last year while discussing kids we could/should go after.

6 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Baylor football signee runs the fastest 100 meters in State history:  10.04.  He has good size, too. 

Hopefully he decides to stick to track full time. He could become a professional before the next Olympics if he totally commits to it.

11 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The wind aide is why this won't go down as the fastest nationally. Wind factor was a +3.2 when the most it can be and still count is +2.0

TCU gets a late LB or strong safety commit for the '18 class.  Former Central Arkansas commit who got a release for family illness reasons.  Ran a 21.28 200M at 6'1" over 200 lbs and anchored the state meet 1st place 4x200 relay over the weekend.  Judging from his Hudl, the kid can play.   Not sure how he was overlooked at Mansfield Legacy unless he was huge grade risk.  Even the recruiting services overlooked him.  He's literally a no star recruit.  Reminds me of Matt Pryor who we signed out of California a few years back about this time of the year.  No stars, no recruiting profile, no other offers and 5 years later he was all-conference and a 6th round draft pick.  

https://247sports.com/Player/Demauryon-Holmes-46055781

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7959762/59c1715bb535bb01d424631d

1 hour ago, pigmeat markham said:

TTU commit, Kesean Carter, out of the Woodlands ran a 10.22 as well.  Mucho speed in the state this year.

The wind was a huge factor and that's why guys were running crazy times. 

On 5/10/2018 at 2:26 AM, pigmeat markham said:

Looks like Iowa and ASU just offered McIvor too.  I bet he has 20+ offers before this is over. 

2 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

Looks like Iowa and ASU just offered McIvor too.  I bet he has 20+ offers before this is over. 

That wouldn't surprise me either.  His offer list is fairly decent already.  My hope is that he didn't get his feelers hurt by the delayed Tech offer given Jacob Zeno is clearly their preference.