Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

He's their Matthew Baldwin - a nice-enough passer who won't scare any elite 2020 guys.

This class is pretty weak after the top couple of guys. I think we'll see a lot of reaches at the position across the country

Expect Johnson, an Indiana native, to look at Purdue and Northwestern for his next stop, sources tell 247Sports. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Johnson will have to sit out next season and will be eligible starting in 2019. He'll have three years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the field that year.

53 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

State Penn has been cleaning up this week.  They're the only team in the B1G other than Ohio State recruiting at a high level right now.

Cleaning up is an understatement, and Cam'ron Kelly is about to commit to PedoState as well. I really really wanted Kelly at Clemson. 

13 hours ago, texifornia said:

The rate at which froggy is turning into aggy is pretty astonishing

DdxZ1bWV4AIj6T9.jpg

Yup, that's exactly how that conversation went.

Texas coach: "Hi Taurean, I realize we've never met or spoken, I've never been to your practices or games, nor did I even know that you existed, but I'd like to offer you a scholarship to the University of Texas"

• Like 1

Just now, CL Horn said:

why no interest from UT on Coker? Texas talent getting spread out between UT ou aggy and tcu

I believe he had a lot of bad weight initially, so UT was slow to offer. But Gare Bear Fatterson took one look at Coker, saw his own reflection, and made it his life's mission to make Coker a cockroach.

5 hours ago, CL Horn said:

why no interest from UT on Coker? Texas talent getting spread out between UT ou aggy and tcu

Texas is on bigger fish, if this recruitment played out longer he would probably have ended up as the 4th take, but we are high on Shepherd, Bragg, and green. 

On 5/26/2018 at 5:56 AM, ClubWhatever said:

How significant is this in the grand scheme of things Dr Sam?

He's definitely a good player, probably a high 4*, or low 5* recruit. South Carolina did the best job recruiting him, by far,  but I don't think this is very significant in the grand scheme of things. Everyone knew Pickens was going to Scar, but they pushed him to commit now to jump start their recruiting. Not terribly surprising, South Carolina did a better job, and Clemson signed two better prospects at DE last class, so it just made sense he would go to Scar. 

They are also set to land a former 5* DT transfer from Clemson in Josh Belk. I really liked Belk, but word is he isn't putting in the effort and wasn't happy with being buried on the depth chart. 

Fully expect Dabo to be annoyed with the Belk situation and pour it on even more in Death Valley this year. Last two meetings were 34-10, and 56-7. 

TCU offers WR - TQ Jackson

Good offer. It's been interesting to see how quickly the top tier teams have moved on from highly rated WRs in this class and not looked back. There's simply too many good ones to play those bullshit games. WR slots are gonna start filling up fast. 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

He's going to Tech and he's going to throw for 3 trillion yards. 

I think those dumb shits are going to complete their transition from their pinnacle with Leach back down to the Dykes plateau with a non-dynamic offensive mind or an outright defensive-oriented mind after the Coach Bro era ends. The ol'full circle where they're back to looking for tough west Texas cowboy types and jucos/grade issues in a more traditional offensive/defensive approach. Maybe that's just my nefarious hope. Who knows?

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think those dumb shits are going to complete their transition from their pinnacle with Leach back down to the Dykes plateau with a non-dynamic offensive mind or an outright defensive-oriented mind after the Coach Bro era ends. The ol'full circle where they're back to looking for tough west Texas cowboy types and jucos/grade issues in a more traditional offensive/defensive approach. Maybe that's just my nefarious hope. Who knows?

Regardless of what they do, can we just stop losing to these STD-ridden chodes? Dropping 2 of the last 3 to them is just fucking ridiculous.

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

From your lips to God's ears, ctj. I'm all for them hiring Justin Wilcox, Alex Grinch, etc ...  That would be fucking glorious. I keep worrying that one of them will figure out that if they can replicate Leach perhaps they could replicate Holgo and hire Monken, who is just wasting away under Koetter's ass. Monken left USM because he was sick of recruiting but if you told him he could be just like Leach and hire recruiters and not really do much of it himself - that fucker would be a pain in the ass with a bunch of high 3 and low 4 star DFW kids. 

• Like 1

Just now, golfclap said:

From your lips to God's ears, ctj. I'm all for them hiring Justin Wilcox, Alex Grinch, etc ...  That would be fucking glorious. I keep worrying that one of them will figure out that if they can replicate Leach perhaps they could replicate Holgo and hire Monken, who is just wasting away under Koetter's ass. Monken left USM because he was sick of recruiting but if you told him he could be just like Leach and hire recruiters and not really do much of it himself - that fucker would be a pain in the ass with a bunch of high 3 and low 4 star DFW kids. 

Wilcox would be ironic given that he's currently cleaning up a Dykes' mess at Berkeley.

Just now, golfclap said:

They should hire Littrell or Cumbie, but as you guys have noted, they're going to go a different direction

You could possibly see Littrell, but hard to envision Cumbie as the new coach.  Just not much support for him at this point.

It will be interesting this year to see the impact, if any, new OC Kevin Johns has.  After fairly lengthy stays at Northwestern and Indiana, he's the first legitimate OC type in the Kingbury era.  Big 10 guy obviously, but given his history doesn't appear to be the reincarnation of Woody Hayes from an offensive standpoint.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I love this post.

Isn't it interesting, how a coach can be great in one place and really pretty much nothing in another? Life demands of all of us that we make the right choices. Hell, there's probably some guy in Schnechtedy who would could have been better than Vince Lombardi, if he only had the chances/life choices/circumstances that Lombardi had.  Tommy Tuberville won a SEC championship at Auburn and couldn't win squat at Tech. At Auburn, Tuberville went 7-3 against Alabama, 5-5 against LSU, and 5-5 against Georgia. That's not shabby at a school like Auburn. He gets to Tech and has something like a .280 winning percentage in the Big 12.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

So LSU landed a 2020 QB recently, and apparently told him that they're not taking a 2019 QB... they didn't take one in 2018 either. Apparently Orgeron went to the Mack Brown school of position stacking. 

“LSU did everything that they promised,” David Finley said. “They came and told TJ the truth. They went and told TJ we’re trying to sign the quarterback from Ohio State (Joe Burrow). If we get him he has two more years of eligibility and we won’t be looking for a quarterback in 2019. If you commit to us you’ll be able to come in as a freshman and win the job. When they got the transfer-student, everything fell in place for TJ there."

Edited by Fud

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

So LSU landed a 2020 QB recently, and apparently told him that they're not taking a 2019 QB... they didn't take one in 2018 either. Apparently Orgeron went to the Mack Brown school of position stacking. 

“LSU did everything that they promised,” David Finley said. “They came and told TJ the truth. They went and told TJ we’re trying to sign the quarterback from Ohio State (Joe Burrow). If we get him he has two more years of eligibility and we won’t be looking for a quarterback in 2019. If you commit to us you’ll be able to come in as a freshman and win the job. When they got the transfer-student, everything fell in place for TJ there."

Coach O is gonna burn that place to the ground before he leaves.

TCU 247 recruiting notes, via LonghornFrenzy:

Here's a few notes to pass along for the 2019 class:

QUARTERBACK: 
With Max Duggan's commitment, the Frogs are done at the position.

RUNNINGBACK: 
The Frogs are still looking to take two prospects this class; minimum. That becomes more of a need if Fabian Franklin doesn't make it to campus. I'm told when the other signees arrive on Sunday that he won't be joining them. He won't be arriving until later in the summer at best.

The Frogs are in good shape for Darwin Barlow, who will be making a visit June 16th. Barlow is extremely quiet when it comes to his recruitment but TCU is in the picture very much from some sources I've spoken with. Of the running backs TCU has offered, he would be the closest to commit. But, he could wait. King Doerue is another prospect I've heard TCU is in good shape for, but a timeline for a commitment has not been discussed. Breece Hall is still in the mix as well. Another player to keep an eye on is WF Hirschi RB Daimarqua Foster. He visited TCU last Friday. He has not been offered by the Frogs just yet. Another kid to keep an eye on is Van Vleck RB De'mitri Monroe; he excelled in track this past season and is getting some notice. TCU hasn't offered but he's on the radar.

RECEIVER: 
I got out my shovel to do some digging for you guys and I found out TCU has backed off heavily recruiting Dylan Wright. I don't think there are any issues there and it may be that they don't feel they have a great shot. One person I spoke with close to the family says Dylan has an interest in TCU, but that a lot of people are still in his ear about other programs. I was told this is identical to the Emanuel Porter and Omar Manning recruitment; he just needs to go with his gut and not others.

TCU has offered a few kids the past week and of the offers I would say the Frogs' best chance of getting a commit is from Jordan Kerley (Jeremy's cousin) and TQ Jackson. Kerley is open to others at the moment and Jackson says the TCU offer was big. That doesn't mean the Frogs don't have a chance with others, these are just my two best guesses. I think Brandon Legendre has a good interest in the Frogs, but as I've said in the past I feel his recruitment is going to really take off so TCU will have a good battle on their hands. The good news is Rusty Burns has a good relationship with the kid. Jaylen Ellis is committed to Baylor but with the recent offer from Texas he very well could be a Horn soon. Jamie Nance is a tough read at the moment and I truly have no clue where TCU fits.

On the offer front, I'd keep a close eye on Langston Anderson. Cumbie was by his school on Tuesday and I was told that the coach liked him very much. Another kid to watch; Peyton Powell out of Permian. TCU wants to see him catch the ball in person before offering.

TIGHT END: 
The Frogs main prospect is Ethan Rae. I expect him to visit this summer.

OFFENSIVE LINE: 
The Frogs are in spectacular shape on the line. I was told if they have a chance to take one more tackle, they will do it. But, they will likely be it. They still have an interest in players such as Julius Buelow and Taylor Miterko, but it could prove hard to get those kids with two tackles already committed. Regardless, if they take another OL, it will be a tackle type.

DEFENSIVE LINE: 
At tackle, the Frogs have Taurean Carter as their prime target. Stephon Wright is another target the Frogs are high on. If the Frogs don't land either player, I've been told they may just take Karter Johnson and save room for some 2020 prospects. DT for 2020 seems to be a pretty solid group. Carter is going to take his time, especially after receiving new interest. TCU is in good shape for him, but it's going to be a tough battle. I've been told that TCU has expressed that they won't wait an extremely long time; they want him and they want him now. Wright should be making an OV to TCU this fall and has a great relationship with Zarnell Fitch.

At defensive end, there are three players that are high on the list; Colt Ellison, Chico Bennett, Treven Ma'ae. They could be waiting a while on all three. The latest I received on Ellison is that he will likely finish taking his OV's before making a decision. The good news is TCU is still in the lead from the sources I've spoken with. I've been told the family wants him to wait a bit longer. Bennett has to be convinced to play defensive end, which could be a big push because he told me straight up that he likes OLB better. Ma'ae could be visiting over the summer and really has the attention of defensive ends coach Dan Sharp.

LINEBACKER: 
The Frogs made an offer to a local prospect last week when they offered Dallas Skyline's Kamryn Farrar. The 6-foot, 200-pounder could play OLB or safety at the next level which is exactly what TCU has told him. Farrar is currently committed to Colorado, but he admitted to me the other day that TCU definitely has him reconsidering things, especially with him being able to play closer to home. Farrar is visiting TCU on Friday to hang out with the coaches and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that he commits shortly after.

Cinco Ranch LB David Gbenda has TCU among his favorites but everything is pointing to a Texas A&M-Texas battle with the Aggies holding the edge. I believe Gbenda liked TCU's program but the fact that he never visited has put the Frogs way behind in my opinion.

CORNERBACK: 
With William Jones and Donavann Collins committed the Frogs likely would only add one more at the position. That one more could be Tiawan Mullen, who recently put TCU in his top five. Of those top five, I've heard it's a battle between TCU and Nebraska. Mullen has a great relationship with Gonzales, who recruited Mullen's older brother; Trayvon. Brandon Crossley is still getting recruited but they don't know if he's a corner or a safety. I don't feel the Frogs are in the hunt any longer for Erick Young; unless he comes up for an unofficial visit I would say TCU is out of the picture.

SAFETY: 
Keep an eye on Khriy Morrison; the Frogs really, really like this kid and the interest is mutual. The Frogs have also done outstanding with Jalen Catalon; the Frogs are in the thick of things with Texas and Arkansas from what I've been told. On the baseball front, I'm told if they don't offer the chance to play baseball it will not effect his decision. Another name that the Frogs are after at safety is Cameron Wiley; a recent offer out of Las Vegas. Monroe, the Van Vleck kid, could be an option here as well as Paul Gonazles has visited his school to see him.

ATH: 
Newton ATH Josh Foster is likely the closest to committing, but I don't think it will happen soon. He is scheduled to make a visit to TCU on the 16th with his teammate Barlow. TCU is recruiting as an athlete; he could play WR, CB or S. His teammate, Tamauzia Brown, I've heard isn't as high on TCU as Barlow and Foster. The Frogs have a little bit of work to do with Brown

Edited by Machinator

40 minutes ago, Machinator said:

On the offer front, I'd keep a close eye on Langston Anderson. Cumbie was by his school on Tuesday and I was told that the coach liked him very much. Another kid to watch; Peyton Powell out of Permian. TCU wants to see him catch the ball in person before offering.

As if the strategy would be to offer the guys Herman has offered 😉

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

TCU 247 recruiting notes, via LonghornFrenzy:

Hide contents

Here's a few notes to pass along for the 2019 class:

QUARTERBACK: 
With Max Duggan's commitment, the Frogs are done at the position.

RUNNINGBACK: 
The Frogs are still looking to take two prospects this class; minimum. That becomes more of a need if Fabian Franklin doesn't make it to campus. I'm told when the other signees arrive on Sunday that he won't be joining them. He won't be arriving until later in the summer at best.

The Frogs are in good shape for Darwin Barlow, who will be making a visit June 16th. Barlow is extremely quiet when it comes to his recruitment but TCU is in the picture very much from some sources I've spoken with. Of the running backs TCU has offered, he would be the closest to commit. But, he could wait. King Doerue is another prospect I've heard TCU is in good shape for, but a timeline for a commitment has not been discussed. Breece Hall is still in the mix as well. Another player to keep an eye on is WF Hirschi RB Daimarqua Foster. He visited TCU last Friday. He has not been offered by the Frogs just yet. Another kid to keep an eye on is Van Vleck RB De'mitri Monroe; he excelled in track this past season and is getting some notice. TCU hasn't offered but he's on the radar.

RECEIVER: 
I got out my shovel to do some digging for you guys and I found out TCU has backed off heavily recruiting Dylan Wright. I don't think there are any issues there and it may be that they don't feel they have a great shot. One person I spoke with close to the family says Dylan has an interest in TCU, but that a lot of people are still in his ear about other programs. I was told this is identical to the Emanuel Porter and Omar Manning recruitment; he just needs to go with his gut and not others.

TCU has offered a few kids the past week and of the offers I would say the Frogs' best chance of getting a commit is from Jordan Kerley (Jeremy's cousin) and TQ Jackson. Kerley is open to others at the moment and Jackson says the TCU offer was big. That doesn't mean the Frogs don't have a chance with others, these are just my two best guesses. I think Brandon Legendre has a good interest in the Frogs, but as I've said in the past I feel his recruitment is going to really take off so TCU will have a good battle on their hands. The good news is Rusty Burns has a good relationship with the kid. Jaylen Ellis is committed to Baylor but with the recent offer from Texas he very well could be a Horn soon. Jamie Nance is a tough read at the moment and I truly have no clue where TCU fits.

TIGHT END: 
The Frogs main prospect is Ethan Rae. I expect him to visit this summer.

OFFENSIVE LINE: 
The Frogs are in spectacular shape on the line. I was told if they have a chance to take one more tackle, they will do it. But, they will likely be it. They still have an interest in players such as Julius Buelow and Taylor Miterko, but it could prove hard to get those kids with two tackles already committed. Regardless, if they take another OL, it will be a tackle type.

DEFENSIVE LINE: 
At tackle, the Frogs have Taurean Carter as their prime target. Stephon Wright is another target the Frogs are high on. If the Frogs don't land either player, I've been told they may just take Karter Johnson and save room for some 2020 prospects. DT for 2020 seems to be a pretty solid group. Carter is going to take his time, especially after receiving new interest. TCU is in good shape for him, but it's going to be a tough battle. I've been told that TCU has expressed that they won't wait an extremely long time; they want him and they want him now. Wright should be making an OV to TCU this fall and has a great relationship with Zarnell Fitch.

At defensive end, there are three players that are high on the list; Colt Ellison, Chico Bennett, Treven Ma'ae. They could be waiting a while on all three. The latest I received on Ellison is that he will likely finish taking his OV's before making a decision. The good news is TCU is still in the lead from the sources I've spoken with. I've been told the family wants him to wait a bit longer. Bennett has to be convinced to play defensive end, which could be a big push because he told me straight up that he likes OLB better. Ma'ae could be visiting over the summer and really has the attention of defensive ends coach Dan Sharp.

LINEBACKER: 
The Frogs made an offer to a local prospect last week when they offered Dallas Skyline's Kamryn Farrar. The 6-foot, 200-pounder could play OLB or safety at the next level which is exactly what TCU has told him. Farrar is currently committed to Colorado, but he admitted to me the other day that TCU definitely has him reconsidering things, especially with him being able to play closer to home. Farrar is visiting TCU on Friday to hang out with the coaches and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that he commits shortly after.

Cinco Ranch LB David Gbenda has TCU among his favorites but everything is pointing to a Texas A&M-Texas battle with the Aggies holding the edge. I believe Gbenda liked TCU's program but the fact that he never visited has put the Frogs way behind in my opinion.

CORNERBACK: 
With William Jones and Donavann Collins committed the Frogs likely would only add one more at the position. That one more could be Tiawan Mullen, who recently put TCU in his top five. Of those top five, I've heard it's a battle between TCU and Nebraska. Mullen has a great relationship with Gonzales, who recruited Mullen's older brother; Trayvon. Brandon Crossley is still getting recruited but they don't know if he's a corner or a safety. I don't feel the Frogs are in the hunt any longer for Erick Young; unless he comes up for an unofficial visit I would say TCU is out of the picture.

SAFETY: 
Keep an eye on Khriy Morrison; the Frogs really, really like this kid and the interest is mutual. The Frogs have also done outstanding with Jalen Catalon; the Frogs are in the thick of things with Texas and Arkansas from what I've been told. On the baseball front, I'm told if they don't offer the chance to play baseball it will not effect his decision. Another name that the Frogs are after at safety is Cameron Wiley; a recent offer out of Las Vegas. Monroe, the Van Vleck kid, could be an option here as well as Paul Gonazles has visited his school to see him.

ATH: 
Newton ATH Josh Foster is likely the closest to committing, but I don't think it will happen soon. He is scheduled to make a visit to TCU on the 16th with his teammate Barlow. TCU is recruiting as an athlete; he could play WR, CB or S. His teammate, Tamauzia Brown, I've heard isn't as high on TCU as Barlow and Foster. The Frogs have a little bit of work to do with Brown

Are we sure Jeremy Clark wrote this? If so, this is the most level headed piece he has ever written. 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Let me fix that for you: 

"Fat Gare wrote Jeremy Clark a threatening note on a used Big Mac box." 

You sure? He would've just gotten a wet cardboard box with the message washed away.