Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Interesting... apparently the Ole Miss players have texts and emails that show what the coaches told them about the gravity of the investigation was not true, but, are there any NCAA rules that actually cover that?  

Edited by RabidM

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

Interesting... apparently the Ole Miss players have texts and emails that show what the coaches told them about the gravity of the investigation was not true, but, are there any NCAA rules that actually cover that?  

Well, no rule$ that the NCAA would ever want to apply to the $EC.

48 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They're not actually blocking the transfer (they're not stupid, they know that was within the rules), but objecting to Michigan actively recruiting their roster.

So they're mad that Michigan may have broken minor rules because they're losing players due to breaking major rules?

Clemson's recruiting continues to be a little mind bottling. The staff must be pretty confident with some recruits, because they are letting solid prospects slip away. I love Catalon, but it appears that his height is keeping Clemson from pushing for him. Height at DB is possibly the most overrated aspect of the position. Yeah you can't run out four Napoleon DBs, but skills trump height any day of the week. 

If Clemson drags their feet and Catalon commits elsewhere, I hope it's Texas or Arky Chad. 

16 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Clemson's recruiting continues to be a little mind bottling. The staff must be pretty confident with some recruits, because they are letting solid prospects slip away. I love Catalon, but it appears that his height is keeping Clemson from pushing for him. Height at DB is possibly the most overrated aspect of the position. Yeah you can't run out four Napoleon DBs, but skills trump height any day of the week. 

If Clemson drags their feet and Catalon commits elsewhere, I hope it's Texas or Arky Chad. 

Clemson might know what they're doing.

18 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

He's going to Texas

On 4/11/2018 at 6:01 AM, HenryJames said:

Clemson might know what they're doing.

Good start to the spring football game weekend with three commitments already... 

Bryton Constantin 3* OLB out of Louisiana. 

Frank Ladson 5* WR out of Florida. 

Taisun Phommachanh 4* Dual QB out of Connecticut. 

Landing Phomm is especially impressive as it makes it the third year in a row that Clemson has landed a top 5 QB. Killing it at QB, DL, and WR, but the missing piece is OL recruiting... 

Added a fourth commit in Lannden Zander, a 3* Safety out of North Carolina. 

This is the kid the Clemson staff appeared to be favoring over Jalen Catalon. He's nowhere near the talent and potential of Catalon, but Clemson has been pretty consistent in favoring taller DBs. Height at DB is by far the most overrated trait in a DB, in my opinion. I'd much rather have the instincts of Catalon than a few extra inches. A taller DB don't make a shit if he isn't in place to make a play. 

On 4/15/2018 at 6:13 PM, angelos's frog said:

Max Duggan Commits to TCU.  4* QB out of Iowa picks TCU over ND, Nebraska and Minnesota.  # 7 dual threat QB in 247 composite, #4 in 247's own rankings   

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaxDuggan_10/status/985684350212636672

Looks like a steal. I don't really know much about him, is there a reason why Iowa/ISU weren't being considered? 

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Looks like a steal. I don't really know much about him, is there a reason why Iowa/ISU weren't being considered? 

Iowa and ISU wanted him, he just wasn't interested.  I think I read he didn't think the Iowa offensive scheme matched his skill set.  There was also some speculation that TCU being in the CWS so often recently had some influence on him since he's from Council Bluffs which is basically a suburb of Omaha and he's also a baseball player.  That may have helped get the Frogs' foot in the door due to name recognition. 

Duggan was a target for Iowa and Iowa State. But the in-state programs have been thought to be the underdogs for the past several months.

Or, put another way: Hawkeyes and Cyclones coaches aren't kicking themselves too hard right now. Of course they would have loved to land Duggan. But, at this point, that didn't seem realistic.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/recruiting/2018/04/15/max-duggan-commits-tcu-over-minnesota-iowa-iowa-state-recruiting/509619002/

Minnesota was probably the biggest competition.  He was PJ Fleck's primary target for the entire class -- the guy they were going to build their class around.  Fleck was all in on recruiting him.  The Gopher fans are crushed.  He was supposedly Kelly's top QB target for Notre Dame as well.  So much that ND probably won't take a 2019 QB (they got a big commit from a 2020 QB yesterday). 

1 hour ago, angelos's frog said:

Minnesota was probably the biggest competition.  He was PJ Fleck's primary target for the entire class -- the guy they were going to build their class around.  Fleck was all in on recruiting him.  The Gopher fans are crushed.  He was supposedly Kelly's top QB target for Notre Dame as well.  So much that ND probably won't take a 2019 QB (they got a big commit from a 2020 QB yesterday). 

I have never understood this line of thinking. You take a qb every year because you just never know who is going to pan out. I this 2020 kid ends up being a bust it sets your program back 3 years

18 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

I have never understood this line of thinking. You take a qb every year because you just never know who is going to pan out. I this 2020 kid ends up being a bust it sets your program back 3 years

They are trying to flip a Wisconsin QB commit but that's all they have for Plan B apparently.

Karter Johnson, DT from Ohio committed to TCU last night.   The kid is really impressive on film.  Very underrated.  A first step that reminds me of Daylon Mack but Johnson is listed as 6'3" 300 lbs.  and is much leaner than Mack   Johnson also pitches and plays first base for his high school team   

https://247sports.com/Player/Karter-Johnson-46041284

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5210327/59c7eb6f5eecb80d24c0f616

Offers include Michigan St, Nebraska, WVU, Minnesota, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers and others.  

5 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

Karter Johnson, DT from Ohio committed to TCU last night.   The kid is really impressive on film.  Very underrated.  A first step that reminds me of Daylon Mack but Johnson is listed as 6'3" 300 lbs.  and is much leaner than Mack   Johnson also pitches and plays first base for his high school team   

https://247sports.com/Player/Karter-Johnson-46041284

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5210327/59c7eb6f5eecb80d24c0f616

Offers include Michigan St, Nebraska, WVU, Minnesota, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers and others.  

Michigan State's troubles (putting it lightly) should open the door for other programs to pick up some of the underrated Midwestern defensive guys that Dantonio's built the program on.

15 hours ago, texifornia said:

Michigan State's troubles (putting it lightly) should open the door for other programs to pick up some of the underrated Midwestern defensive guys that Dantonio's built the program on.

Michigan St is still recruiting fairly well.  Currently #20 in the nation and 4th in the Big 10 with 7 commits including two 4 stars.  Apparently, Johnson just liked TCU more.  I think the MSU 247 guys were pretty shocked they didn't get him though. 

TCU signed Emari Demercado, a 5'11" 200 lbs. RB out of Saddleback College yesterday.  He will count for the '18 class and enroll this summer.  He ran for over 1,026 yds at almost 7 yds a pop and caught over 50 passes for 443 yds during his freshman season at JUCO.  Was a full qualifier out of high school with offers from UC-Davis and Cal Poly but apparently wanted to play big time football and took a chance at JUCO to prove himself.  No high school stats for his junior year which explains how he got overlooked.  He'll have 4 years to play 3 and should be a good back up for Anderson and Olonilua this season.

https://247sports.com/Player/Emari-Demercado-46054866

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3387943/59d13d4d7bdd7006c0d4b9b0