Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

FLIPS...... FLIPS........ FLIPS

Christian Williams (#174 ESPN, #12 S) flips from Bama to Miami.....

Chris Bogle (#155, #14 OLB) flips from Bama to Gators.....

George Pickens (#54, #6 WR) flips from Auburn to Jawja

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/30/2019 at 6:44 PM, satyanash said:

Part of an ongoing series by MichiganInsider on crazy recruiting stories

(Sam Webb) Recruiting Tales (Part 5): U-M Lost Jai Eugene to the 'Bag Man'

Hide contents

From 2003 to 2007 Florida safeties coach Ron English served as the defensive backs coach (03-05) and defensive coordinator (06-07) at the University of Michigan. During a recent interview with The Michigan Insider English reflected upon some noteworthy recruiting misses during his time in Ann Arbor. In part five he recaps the story of late decommitment of former five-star defensive back Jai Eugene in 2006. If you missed parts one through four of this series, be sure to check out English's account of Demarco Murray wanting to come to Michigan,  Desean Jackson being a 'done deal' for the Maize & Blue, that time Michigan turned down Beast Mode, and When Ronald Johnson decommitted.

Ron English: “So we're on Jai Eugene (at Michigan), and he's a good player. We want him, and we needed him, and all that stuff. Fred Jackson recruited Louisiana, so we're going to go down (together) and see him. We go down after Katrina and Fred drives me around one of the wards, and I've never seen anything like it. It's like The Wizard of Oz. You're seeing cars tucked into second story windows, and in trees, and all that. It was crazy. But you go down to the French Quarter and they had taken care of all of that. So anyway… (back to) Jai Eugene, we go to Destrehan, we go to the school, and we finally get Jai committed. In fact, Jai Eugene commits to us on national TV at the Army Game. Now, we go (back) down to his school… I go down… this is January. One of the recruiters down south, he was at Tennessee… (he said), ‘what’s up Ron? How are you doing man? Hey, you know (Eugene’s recruitment) is just starting now? Whoever has the biggest bag is going to win.' At that time I didn't really believe that kind of stuff was going on. I didn't know. I thought it was just talk.”

“But Jai stays committed, and we go down to the final weekend. Now it's Monday… it’s either Monday or Tuesday of the signing week, and Wednesday is Signing Day. Fred comes to my office (and says),’ Ron, you've got to talk to Jai. He's talking about he's not coming. You’ve got to talk to him’ Of course I love Fred. I start immediately chuckling. Just like this (I said), ‘Jai, what's going on man?’ (Eugene said), ‘Coach, they came to the birthday party on Sunday… and you know my daddy just got out of jail and they got him a job, and they got my momma a house, and they said they were going to take care of my baby. I gotta go to LSU. I said, ‘Jai, you do. You gotta go to LSU.’ And he goes to LSU.”

“And Bo (Schembechler) was… oh my God! Bo was mad, because Bo heard about it.  And Bo said… I’m not going to tell you what he said. Bo said a lot of stuff, and Bo was so mad. He was mad. Bo heard about it… Bo was mad. He was the old Bo on that one. He was mad for real. It wasn’t no fake mad. He was mad, and he made some statements that came true. He made some statements that came true… let me just put it like that.”

Sounds like Bo may have dropped a few N bombs! Some coons, some boys, some ungrateful ____ etc.....

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Nebraska article leaked this.....

"Originally a Texas commit, he was encouraged to open his recruitment back up because Texas thought he was an academic risk. "

https://www.cornnation.com/2019/2/6/18207770/nebraska-football-recruiting-wide-receiver-demariyon-houston-commitment

1 hour ago, BayouBill said:

Just looking over Kansas' class...they didn't sign a single O-line recruit. Wow.

Only maybe 13 spots available for KU 2019 Recruiting Class due to Blueshirt/Grayshirts used recently by Beaty at Kansas.  Might go after a few grad transfers to fill holes including OL.

Madhatter has done a great job recruiting for this 2019 KU Class considering the circumstances......

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Only maybe 13 spots available for KU due to Blueshirt/Grayshirts used by Beaty at Kansas.  Might go after a few grad transfers to fill holes including OL.

Madhatter has done a great job recruiting for this 2019 KU Class considering the circumstances......

Word is that when Miles got to Kansas and heard about how few scholarships he had to offer, he downplayed its significance because Les is more.

5 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Spider man meme for Taggart and Helton

Factor in the typical unexciting classes in transition years, and Urbs is going to need to lots of help by way of JuCo and grad transfers. His next solid homegrown line won’t start to see the field until at least 22 or 23.