Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Some b12 programs and a few comparisons on the composite: (rank and avg)

Texas #3 91.84

OU #6 91.20 (heavily weighted toward offense— WR class is nails)

USC #18 88.43

————————————— teams with average rounding to 86

TCU #32 86.27

Baylor #35 85.95

OKie lite #37 86.01

ISU #46 85.57

—————————————\teams with average rounding to 86

WVU #47 85.13

Vanderbilt #56 84.40

Rutgers #60 84.44

KSU #61 83.99

Kansas #64 84.29

SMU #68 83.67

Tech #70 84.24

UNT #82.83

So basically, we averaged 92, OU 91, and the rest of the conference 84-86. We talk about how Kansas is hopeless, how Leslie is in an untenable position because of his predecessor, and how screwed they are, but it is Tech that is in desperate need of a great honeymoon class in 20. They are below Kansas in average and total rankings. Their average is fractionally better than SMU, but their class rank is worse— not far actually from UNT’s.

20 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Oh Chip...

Wooooof: https://247sports.com/Player/Drew-Fowler-46050344/

They also missed on a Long Beach kid to K-State: https://247sports.com/player/kenyon-reed-46058980/

I know Chip hates recruiting but this is a war crime at this point.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Wooooof: https://247sports.com/Player/Drew-Fowler-46050344/

They also missed on a Long Beach kid to K-State: https://247sports.com/player/kenyon-reed-46058980/

I know Chip hates recruiting but this is a war crime at this point.

@Sbbruin feels like UCLA is a lock for landing Wilson and a passel of other Cali players in this next cycle. Chip Kelly is about to wake up from his slumber, snort a Montana-sized pile of coke, drink 10 red bulls and electrify the west coast with his recruiting prowess in 2020, apparently. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Some b12 programs and a few comparisons on the composite: (rank and avg)

Texas #3 91.84

OU #6 91.20 (heavily weighted toward offense— WR class is nails)

USC #18 88.43

————————————— teams with average rounding to 86

TCU #32 86.27

Baylor #35 85.95

OKie lite #37 86.01

ISU #46 85.57

—————————————\teams with average rounding to 86

WVU #47 85.13

Vanderbilt #56 84.40

Rutgers #60 84.44

KSU #61 83.99

Kansas #64 84.29

SMU #68 83.67

Tech #70 84.24

UNT #82.83

So basically, we averaged 92, OU 91, and the rest of the conference 84-86. We talk about how Kansas is hopeless, how Leslie is in an untenable position because of his predecessor, and how screwed they are, but it is Tech that is in desperate need of a great honeymoon class in 20. They are below Kansas in average and total rankings. Their average is fractionally better than SMU, but their class rank is worse— not far actually from UNT’s.

Tech really fucked up this 2019 Class.  No excuses for Kansas & KState to beat Tech in 2019 Recruiting Ratings.

Man, piling onto the SC misery - their QB take was a 3-star spare from Arizona - #711 recruit in the country. 

https://247sports.com/player/kedon-slovis-46041446/

This when the LA area seems to produce 3-4 polished bluechip QBs a year (and they all seem to be blond, named Matt, and go to Mater Dei or Oaks Christian). Ouch.

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, piling onto the SC misery - their QB take was a 3-star spare from Arizona - #711 recruit in the country. 

https://247sports.com/player/kedon-slovis-46041446/

This when the LA area seems to produce 3-4 polished bluechip QBs a year (and they all seem to be blond, named Matt, and go to Mater Dei or Oaks Christian). Ouch.

Tbf he's sandwiched between 5*s and I think Daniels looks really good

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

@Sbbruin feels like UCLA is a lock for landing Wilson and a passel of other Cali players in this next cycle. Chip Kelly is about to wake up from his slumber, snort a Montana-sized pile of coke, drink 10 red bulls and electrify the west coast with his recruiting prowess in 2020, apparently. 

It’s always darkest before the dawn.

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Last in the Big 12. I don't think Wells has much recruiting juice. 

You may very well be right. He did a seemingly lackluster  job with the class this year.  That said, I'm not sure it's entirely fair to make any hard and fast recruiting judgements about a new coach and staff who have been on the job six weeks or whatever it's been.

His focus seemed to be on kickers, punters, walk ons and 2020, even 2021 offers.  Wisely or not, they really made a lot of future offers.  Coachspeak perhaps, but he talked a lot today about not being willing to sacrifice quality for 2019 numbers.

We'll see what happens next year. With Kliff being such a poor recruiter, Wells will catch more than his share of shit if he doesn't improve things next year.

7 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

You may very well be right. He did a seemingly lackluster  job with the class this year.  That said, I'm not sure it's entirely fair to make any hard and fast recruiting judgements about a new coach and staff who have been on the job six weeks or whatever it's been.

His focus seemed to be on kickers, punters, walk ons and 2020, even 2021 offers.  Wisely or not, they really made a lot of future offers.  Coachspeak perhaps, but he talked a lot today about not being willing to sacrifice quality for 2019 numbers.

We'll see what happens next year. With Kliff being such a poor recruiter, Wells will catch more than his share of shit if he doesn't improve things next year.

He definitely deserves a full cycle before judgement but I have my doubts based on what he did in the Mountain West. 

'18 (9th best class in the MW/#109 nationally)

'17 (9th best class in the MW/#104 nationally)

'16 (8th best class in the MW/#92 nationally)

'15 (5th best class in the MW/#96 nationally)

'14 (9th best class in the MW/#111 nationally) 

I know it's Utah State but he was getting worked in the Mountain West. He was a bottom tier recruiter in that conference and now he's at the big boy table. I didn't even realize his recruiting numbers were that bad at Utah State. 

Man....Tech replaced one shitty recruiter with arguably an even worse recruiter. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Stuff like this is what would worry me about Wells. If this type stuff bothers Wells he doesn't know what he got himself into. Recruiting at this level requires thick skin and he's already pissed at "last second offers." 

Everything is fair game and higher end recruits are normally more drama because bigger schools are involved. 

Edited by texasstrong12

40 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

He definitely deserves a full cycle before judgement but I have my doubts based on what he did in the Mountain West. 

'18 (9th best class in the MW/#109 nationally)

'17 (9th best class in the MW/#104 nationally)

'16 (8th best class in the MW/#92 nationally)

'15 (5th best class in the MW/#96 nationally)

'14 (9th best class in the MW/#111 nationally) 

I know it's Utah State but he was getting worked in the Mountain West. He was a bottom tier recruiter in that conference and now he's at the big boy table. I didn't even realize his recruiting numbers were that bad at Utah State. 

Man....Tech replaced one shitty recruiter with arguably an even worse recruiter. 

Your point is definitely well taken regarding his MW track record.  As a Tech fan my hope is that a couple of new additions to the staff especially have recruiting chops as advertised.

KERRY COOKS COACHING EXPERIENCE
2019-Present – Texas Tech Assistant Coach (Safeties)
2016-Present – Oklahoma Assistant Defensive Coordinator (Defensive Backs)
2015 – Oklahoma Assistant Coach (Defensive Backs)
2014 – Notre Dame Assistant Coach (Defensive Backs)
2012-13 – Notre Dame Co-Defensive Coordinator (Defensive Backs)
2011 – Notre Dame Assistant Coach (Cornerbacks)
2010 – Notre Dame Assistant Coach (Outside Linebackers)
2006-09 – Wisconsin Assistant Coach (Defensive Backs/Asst. Special Teams)
2005- Minnesota Assistant Coach (Defensive Backs)
2004 – Western Illinois Assistant Coach (Defensive Backs/Asst. Special Teams)
2003 – Kansas State Graduate Assistant

Paul Randolph

Coaching History

• Texas Tech 2019 - Defensive Line Coach
  • Memphis 2015 - 2019 Defensive Line Coach (Memphis)
  • Arizona State 2012 - 2015 Associate Head Coach (Arizona State)
  • Arizona State 2012 - 2015 Defensive Coordinator (Arizona State)
  • Pittsburgh 2011 - 2011 Co-Defensive Coordinator--Pitt
  • Pittsburgh 2011 - 2011 Associate Head Coach--Pitt
  • Tulsa 2007 - 2010 Co-Defensive Coordinator--Tulsa
  • Tulsa 2007 - 2010 Defensive Line Coach--Tulsa
  • Rice 2006 - 2006 Defensive Coordinator--Rice
  • Alabama 2003 - 2005 Defensive Ends Coach--Alabama
  • West Virginia 2002 - 2002 Defensive Line Coach--West Virginia
  • Toledo 2001 - 2001 Defensive Line Coach--Toledo
  • Illinois State 2000 - 2000 Defensive Line Coach--Illinois State

Pigmeat..... tough result for Wells first recruiting class.  Wells better really step up his recruiting game for 2020 Class or Tech fans won't keep him around long recruiting worse than Kansas and K-State.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure why Matt Campbell is taking the risk with this player...... maybe MC's connections back East have provided enough intel, but this seems like a big risk:

"Isheem Young, former Penn State commit who pleaded guilty to Wawa robbery, to continue football career at Iowa State"

https://www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-spt-isheem-young-commit-iowa-state-20190206-story.html

35 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Pigmeat..... tough result for Wells first recruiting class.  Wells better really step up his recruiting game for 2020 Class or Tech fans won't keep him around long recruiting worse than Kansas and K-State.

The USU record is reason for concern in light of early results from Lubbock.  I discounted them because Logan, UT is remote even compared to most of the MWC schools and rival teams weren't recruiting that much better (ranked in the 80s and 90s with Boise around #60).  He still has the relative remoteness problem with TT but the schools in his new conference most emphatically do NOT recruit poorly.

The bottom line is winning on the field and Wells did a lot of that at USU against some teams with more talent.  It's notable though that he really struggled against the one team which had a large recruiting advantage - going 1-5 against Boise State.

13 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

The bottom line is winning on the field and Wells did a lot of that at USU against some teams with more talent.  It's notable though that he really struggled against the one team which had a large recruiting advantage - going 1-5 against Boise State.

B12 recruiting is Big Boy Football.....

• No excuse for Wells/Tech to end last in  2019 B12 Recruiting Ratings......
  • Behind both K-State and Kansas
  • NONE

KU Recruit trolled Tech.....

Edited by LTtxfan

14 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Oh Chip...

I said it in the other thread, but..

Kid is from Bellevue.  Which means parents are probably loaded.  Parents are probably UDub grads and kid probably grew up rooting for the Huskies. 

This is a whole lot more believable than the kid from Long Beach taking a campus visit to Kansas State and flipping on his UCLA commitment.  "I'd rather spend my college years in Manhatten Kansas than Westwood!"

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What a colossal tool. Guess that's to be expected from an Okie.

To be fair, NOT coming in dead last in anything football-related is a big deal for KU.  That said, the okie Jayhawk is still a tool.

It's not KU on the one end or Texas and OU on the other that Wells has to worry about.  It's the teams like OSU, ISU and TCU that get mid-tier talent to go with top-shelf coaching that are his real problem.  A coach can have a long career in Lubbock losing only 3 games a year but letting Gundy, Campbell and Patterson build a substantial edge in talent is a recipe for 5-6 losses.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I said it in the other thread, but..

Kid is from Bellevue.  Which means parents are probably loaded.  Parents are probably UDub grads and kid probably grew up rooting for the Huskies. 

This is a whole lot more believable than the kid from Long Beach taking a campus visit to Kansas State and flipping on his UCLA commitment.  "I'd rather spend my college years in Manhatten Kansas than Westwood!"

Chip probably met with him for five minutes, didn't remember his name, and was kind of dick (aka "the Wickline").

The K-State staff I'm sure treated him like a real priority. That's how this kind of thing happens.

59 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

The USU record is reason for concern in light of early results from Lubbock.  I discounted them because Logan, UT is remote even compared to most of the MWC schools and rival teams weren't recruiting that much better (ranked in the 80s and 90s with Boise around #60).  He still has the relative remoteness problem with TT but the schools in his new conference most emphatically do NOT recruit poorly.

There's way more variation in talent evaluation when you are talking about MWC teams. The recruiting services just don't invest enough to really track these players. If you get a bunch of P5 offers you get eyes. I doubt the recruiting services do a great job in ordering recruits once you get past those with multiple P5 offers. USU is probably in the same tier as everyone but Boise. I bet Well's ranking vis-à-vis the rest of the MWC would improve a lot if there were a dozen recruiting service guys paying attention to these recruits.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

bold words,  lets see what happens to him lol 

I actually like the confidence. It's nice to see someone say what they actually feel instead of showing fake sportsmanship to teams every other team. I wish more Texas recruits would publicly say "fuck aggy" and "ou sucks".

16 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

There's way more variation in talent evaluation when you are talking about MWC teams. The recruiting services just don't invest enough to really track these players. If you get a bunch of P5 offers you get eyes. I doubt the recruiting services do a great job in ordering recruits once you get past those with multiple P5 offers. USU is probably in the same tier as everyone but Boise. I bet Well's ranking vis-à-vis the rest of the MWC would improve a lot if there were a dozen recruiting service guys paying attention to these recruits.

True, but if he consistently brought in lower-ranked classes than did most other schools in the conference for multiple years, the strength of the data increases a bit.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure why Matt Campbell is taking the risk with this player...... maybe MC's connections back East have provided enough intel, but this seems like a big risk:

"Isheem Young, former Penn State commit who pleaded guilty to Wawa robbery, to continue football career at Iowa State"

https://www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-spt-isheem-young-commit-iowa-state-20190206-story.html

As if Tech fans have any say in their coaching changes.

If it was up to them they'd still have Leach.

15 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Ultimately, Washington signed nine of the top 50 players in California, per the 247Sports Composite. ...For comparison’s sake, USC and Oregon each signed seven of the top 50, Arizona State five, Stanford four and UCLA one; California didn’t sign any.

Oof - that's tough for Wilcox, who's a really good coach, at least on the defensive side. Petersen's success at UDub hasn't given him much room for differentiation as a no-nonsense x's-and-o's guy (though they came up on different sides of the ball) at a quality academic school.

Hadn't realized they ended up with Kuony Deng, though. Nice get.

https://247sports.com/college/california/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

Edited by texifornia

32 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Ultimately, Washington signed nine of the top 50 players in California, per the 247Sports Composite. ...For comparison’s sake, USC and Oregon each signed seven of the top 50, Arizona State five, Stanford four and UCLA one; California didn’t sign any.

Is this an LTHorn parody post?

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

You're absolutely right about Wells better be ready to step up his recruiting game. After the Kliff recruiting experience, the patience of TT fans will pretty short when it comes to poor recruiting.

Of course Wells will have a strong ally in Hocutt who won't want to appear to make two consecutive poor football hires.

11 hours ago, MoJames said:

As if Tech fans have any say in their coaching changes.

If it was up to them they'd still have Leach.

You got that right.  Even very deep pocketed boosters don't get a voice.  A couple of Midland guys who played for Leach have made a fortune in the oil business.  They wanted Holgerson when Kliff was fired.  Using their own plane and working with Dana they had made all the interview arrangements.

Also, they were willing to make to make a very sizable donation to the football facility renovations.  Hocutt passed.