Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Are we sure Jeremy Clark wrote this? If so, this is the most level headed piece he has ever written. 

JC is pretty fair for a recruiting guy.  I think you're thinking of Jeremiah Glenn who used to be a 247 TCU guy.  Glenn could be overly optimistic at times but not at the level of Hamm.

10 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

JC is pretty fair for a recruiting guy.  I think you're thinking of Jeremiah Glenn who used to be a 247 TCU guy.  Glenn could be overly optimistic at times but not at the level of Hamm.

Idk. Glenn's post at the start of last cycle about TCU signing a Top 5 class is pretty much right in Hamm's wheelhouse.

The twelve QBs that made the Elite 11 (source):

Spencer Rattler (OU commit)

Bo Nix (Auburn commit)

Jayden Daniels

Max Duggan (TCU commit)

Ty Evans (Colorado commit)

Brian Maurer

Cade McNamara (Michigan commit)

Graham Mertz (Wisconsin commit)

Dylan Morris (Washington commit)

Ryan Hilinski (South Carolina commit)

Sam Howell (Florida State commit)

Taulia Tagovailoa (Alabama commit)

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

The twelve QBs that made the Elite 11 (source😞

Spencer Rattler (OU commit)

Bo Nix (Auburn commit)

Jayden Daniels

Max Duggan (TCU commit)

Ty Evans (Colorado commit)

Brian Maurer

Cade McNamara (Michigan commit)

Graham Mertz (Wisconsin commit)

Dylan Morris (Washington commit)

Ryan Hilinski (South Carolina commit)

Sam Howell (Florida State commit)

Taulia Tagovailoa (Alabama commit)

2nd year in a row for TCU to have a finalist.  I think we are the only school to have finalists in both '17 and '18 unless Tua made it last year for 'Bama.

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Chris Steele suddenly picking up Florida CBs. That seems normal.

He did just OV there. He's very media savvy and when he says what an analyst wants to hear .... 

He's going to USC. If he does pull any shens it'll be to head to OU with his 7on7 bros. You also have to read almost anything from the Gator guys like it's written by Aggy and right now they are getting hammered by FSU on the trail. Everyone in Florida is trending away from UF and toward FSU (or the Canes). Clemson, UGA, and Bama are also doing their part. This could simply be a matter of a kid saying the right thing, but them also 9.95ing up some clicks because it's bleak as fuck on the in-state front for the Gators right now. 

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He did just OV there. He's very media savvy and when he says what an analyst wants to hear .... 

He's going to USC. If he does pull any shens it'll be to head to OU with his 7on7 bros. You also have to read almost anything from the Gator guys like it's written by Aggy and right now they are getting hammered by FSU on the trail. Everyone in Florida is trending away from UF and toward FSU (or the Canes). Clemson, UGA, and Bama are also doing their part. This could simply be a matter of a kid saying the right thing, but them also 9.95ing up some clicks because it's bleak as fuck on the in-state front for the Gators right now. 

What are your thoughts on Mullen and his staff, especially as it relates to recruiting?

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What are your thoughts on Mullen and his staff, especially as it relates to recruiting?

Taggert is an absolute animal on the trail and Mullen didn't even recruit especially well by klan aggy standards. Coaches who he has up, though - he's kind of the Giles of head coaches.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I thought that the close to his transition class was pretty good, and he did a good job filling a few holes with guys that are your traditional transition class guys. A few of them won't make it 2 years but it looks good for the class ranking and you take a flyer on them getting straight.  Even knowing Mullen as a pretty meh recruiter (He's never going to be pulling top 5 classes in year-over-year, but that's not what you hire Mullen to do), I thought he'd be able to put something together coming off of that close and build a nice 2019 class. That has NOT been the case. This 2019 class is scary for them though because almost every difference maker in-state is trending away. 

It's clear from his approach that he is NOT utilizing his university the way that Chang and Herman do, and that he CLEARLY needs to hire better people in terms of not just media, but planning/coordination/events/scheduling,  all of those detail elements. They are 2nd rate at everything and it shows. He's been pushed around by Taggart and several schools that have been longtime Gator-feeders have opened their doors to Willie and are shutting Florida out. 2020 is trending the same way and if Taggart is able to get FSU to even play just to their ability they'll win 10 and then it's going to be a fucking bloodbath. Mullen is going to have to identify some perfect scheme fit 3* guys and his hit rate is going to have to be damn good for him to get anything rolling because Richt isn't going anywhere and it sure AF looks like Taggart is going to use FSU to it's fullest and if they win 10, you can be assured that the Noles 2019 and 2020 classes will be fucking LOADED. Another interesting thing is that Moorehead is putting together a pretty damn salty class at MSU and I don't think he's Mack Brown reincarnate. 

The thing that Mullen has going for him (just like Taggart and FSU) is that the Gators underperformed so much last season that flipping the outcome of 3-4 games seems plausible. That Nov 25th matchup could make the 2020 UF class, or it could sink it completely. (*I think the 2019 class is already sunk) 

Realted: It looks like Jahleel Billingsley (who was a supposed silent to UF) is headed back to Penn State. I'm gonna go ahead and pencil that in as another lock trending away from UF. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's a 2020, but whatever. He's this year's version of that Georgia kid Jimbo cut loose last year that I think went to Duke.

This is insane overkill.  This is the kid that transferred from Azle to Weatherford after his freshman season (started on varsity as a frosh at Azle) and the UIL DQ'd him made him play on Weatherford's JV as a soph.  I understand that he doesn't have any good game film because he was on JV but he's going to have a great chance to prove himself during his junior year playing in a really tough district.  He will play Abilene, San Angelo Central, Euless Trinity, LD Bell and Richland in district.  What he shows in those games should be a lot more important than anything he can show schools in these camps.  The kid must have some ultra helicopter parents.

19 hours ago, golfclap said:

I thought that the close to his transition class was pretty good, and he did a good job filling a few holes with guys that are your traditional transition class guys. A few of them won't make it 2 years but it looks good for the class ranking and you take a flyer on them getting straight.  Even knowing Mullen as a pretty meh recruiter (He's never going to be pulling top 5 classes in year-over-year, but that's not what you hire Mullen to do), I thought he'd be able to put something together coming off of that close and build a nice 2019 class. That has NOT been the case. This 2019 class is scary for them though because almost every difference maker in-state is trending away. 

It's clear from his approach that he is NOT utilizing his university the way that Chang and Herman do, and that he CLEARLY needs to hire better people in terms of not just media, but planning/coordination/events/scheduling,  all of those detail elements. They are 2nd rate at everything and it shows. He's been pushed around by Taggart and several schools that have been longtime Gator-feeders have opened their doors to Willie and are shutting Florida out. 2020 is trending the same way and if Taggart is able to get FSU to even play just to their ability they'll win 10 and then it's going to be a fucking bloodbath. Mullen is going to have to identify some perfect scheme fit 3* guys and his hit rate is going to have to be damn good for him to get anything rolling because Richt isn't going anywhere and it sure AF looks like Taggart is going to use FSU to it's fullest and if they win 10, you can be assured that the Noles 2019 and 2020 classes will be fucking LOADED. Another interesting thing is that Moorehead is putting together a pretty damn salty class at MSU and I don't think he's Mack Brown reincarnate. 

The thing that Mullen has going for him (just like Taggart and FSU) is that the Gators underperformed so much last season that flipping the outcome of 3-4 games seems plausible. That Nov 25th matchup could make the 2020 UF class, or it could sink it completely. (*I think the 2019 class is already sunk) 

Realted: It looks like Jahleel Billingsley (who was a supposed silent to UF) is headed back to Penn State. I'm gonna go ahead and pencil that in as another lock trending away from UF. 

Dude, where did the gata touch you?

Funny to read your hot takes and then see this...

9 minutes ago, Loco said:

Funny to read your hot takes and then see this...

I mean that's a good commitment but it doesn't invalidate anything @golfclap said.  You have 10 commits, but none of them are in the Top 200.  You have 3 4 stars, but two of them are juuust barely four stars. Your top 3 guys are all OOS and you don't have a single 4 star from FL.  Just because UF landed a 4 star recruit, doesn't mean that there aren't long-term trends developing that will be problematic for UF or even that this year's class is any good. Hint: it's not that great right now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

Clever.

So you're happy with the 2019 class and it's direction? You disagree with anything I said about the in-state talent? About the direction of the classes at UM or FSU compared to the UF class? What exactly is it about an OOS commitment that is contrary to anything I said?  

Congrats on the Humphries get. 

10 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I mean that's a good commitment but it doesn't invalidate anything @golfclap said.  You have 10 commits, but none of them are in the Top 200.  You have 3 4 stars, but two of them are juuust barely four stars. Your top 3 guys are all OOS and you don't have a single 4 star from FL.  Just because UF landed a 4 star recruit, doesn't mean that there aren't long-term trends developing that will be problematic for UF or even that this year's class is any good. Hint: it's not that great right now.

Oh, I agree with your synopsis...  but you left out golfclap's colorful adjectives and hyperbole.

I just read his posts, thought about drinking draino, then checked my twitter feed.   Things are rarely as bad or as good as they seem.

The Gata is still in on some big talent and while they won't get them all, it is possible to end up in the top 10-ish.  (Which Gata fans will hate)

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Clever.

So you're happy with the 2019 class and it's direction? You disagree with anything I said about the in-state talent? About the direction of the classes at UM or FSU compared to the UF class? What exactly is it about an OOS commitment that is contrary to anything I said?  

There are some other little pearls you wrote, but those are debatable... so help me out with these

"Everyone in Florida is trending away from UF..."   - um no, you're wrong

"He's been pushed around by Taggart and several schools that have been longtime Gator-feeders have opened their doors to Willie and are shutting Florida out."  really?  Which ones specifically?

Listen, I'm not sold on Mullen, I specifically DID NOT WANT him, but mostly for coaching reasons and I felt Gata needed a splash hire.  The Gata is coming off it's worse stint since the 80's, some nice wins and F%^$#%& offense with a pulse will do wonders.  The jury is out and Gata fans are nervously watching recruiting like teen girls during prom season

As for Mullen not pulling in top five classes year over year, that should be the floor at Florida, his transitional class gets a mulligan IMHO.

Yes Georgia is a real concern,  FSU always is too

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

There are some other little pearls you wrote, but those are debatable... so help me out with these

"Everyone in Florida is trending away from UF..."   - um no, you're wrong

"He's been pushed around by Taggart and several schools that have been longtime Gator-feeders have opened their doors to Willie and are shutting Florida out."  really?  Which ones specifically?

Listen, I'm not sold on Mullen, I specifically DID NOT WANT him, but mostly for coaching reasons and I felt Gata needed a splash hire.  The Gata is coming off it's worse stint since the 80's, some nice wins and F%^$#%& offense with a pulse will do wonders.  The jury is out and Gata fans are nervously watching recruiting like teen girls during prom season

As for Mullen not pulling in top five classes year over year, that should be the floor at Florida, his transitional class gets a mulligan IMHO.

Everyone is of course hyperbole, don't be a fucking assflute. Now, tell me anyone in-state that is a top tier talent that is trending Florida. We know how many are trending FSU and/or Miami. Zipperer is the only top 25 guy in your state that I can think of that is trending UF.  Help me out though, because you certainly know more than I do about Florida recruiting and there may be guys that are trending the Gators way that I don't know about and I hope that you stick around because I fucking love recruiting. Armwood is of course the clearest example but the Tampa area coaches are way more receptive to Taggart than Fisher and those kids were talking a lot about FSU (and Miami) at the recent 7-on-7s. 

Top 5 classes as a floor? Sorry Loco, but that shit isn't happening. Not in the current landscape and not with Mullen.   (*caveat is that either he or the AD understands that the Gators need to entirely revamp operations and support staff, because there is no world in which top 5 will be your floor with Mullen otherwise, and even then I don't see it unless he wins multiple MNC.)  Until Saban and Meyer leave those 2 are occupying the top 5.  From there you have UGA, Clemson and USC --- as well Texas, Michigan, FSU, LSU, OU, Auburn, Miami, Aggy, and Penn State. (not mention schools like Notre Dame and Tennessee that are capable of top-tier classes as well) Sorry, but those Meyer years are gone and if you look at the current landscape and think your floor is top 5 right now you are delusional. 

You oddly avoid Miami who is trending for everyone that isn't trending FSU right now across the entire top 25-35 in Florida. 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Everyone is of course hyperbole, don't be a fucking assflute. Now, tell me anyone in-state that is a top tier talent that is trending Florida. We know how many are trending FSU and/or Miami. Zipperer is the only top 25 guy in your state that I can think of that is trending UF.  Help me out though, because you certainly know more than I do about Florida recruiting and there may be guys that are trending the Gators way that I don't know about and I hope that you stick around because I fucking love recruiting. Armwood is of course the clearest example but the Tampa area coaches are way more receptive to Taggart than Fisher and those kids were talking a lot about FSU (and Miami) at the recent 7-on-7s. 

Armwood...  why don't you name all those Gata players from Armwood... you know since it is a UF "feeder school".  Matt jones and..... I don't know who the fuck else. Taggart was the Head coach at USF (In fucking Tampa) do you think he doesn't have an advantage there?  (I do)   Does that mean UF has been kicked out of it's "feeder schools"?  No, and if Armwood is all you got, then you're just flat out wrong. 

Jacksonville, Pahokee (muck), Central Florida is were the Gata historically pulls players.  If you tell me the Gata is getting kicked out of Jacksonville or Pahokee, you've got my fucking attention. 

Top 5 classes as a floor? Sorry Loco, but that shit isn't happening. Not in the current landscape and not with Mullen.   (*caveat is that either he or the AD understands that the Gators need to entirely revamp operations and support staff, because there is no world in which top 5 will be your floor with Mullen otherwise, and even then I don't see it unless he wins multiple MNC.)  Until Saban and Meyer leave those 2 are occupying the top 5.  From there you have UGA, Clemson and USC --- as well Texas, Michigan, FSU, LSU, OU, Auburn, Miami, Aggy, and Penn State. (not mention schools like Notre Dame and Tennessee that are capable of top-tier classes as well) Sorry, but those Meyer years are gone and if you look at the current landscape and think your floor is top 5 right now you are delusional. 

You oddly avoid Miami who is trending for everyone that isn't trending FSU right now across the entire top 25-35 in Florida. 

As a fan, and not a recruit nic like yourself, I expect/neigh demand results (nobody fires corches like the Gata,  5 in the last 8 years!)  So chicken or the egg, if the wins don't come the recruits won't either, without the kids you can't win... and gata nation demands wins (blowout wins).  Mullen (again not my guy) says he knows this and is coming in eyes wide open.  If he is not cranking it up in 2 years, he will be gone...  If he is, top 5 classes shouldn't be out of reach.  Just too damned much talent in Florida.

I think the biggest headwind for the Gators is a 5* stud QB, the Orange/Blue game was not awesome.  I think a lot of negative recruiting is that Florida won't have an offense.  Winning without scoring much is mourned almost more than a loss in G'ville.  If mullen has shown us anything, its that he can ID and develop QBs for his system. 

I left out Miami for a reason...  i just don't know.  If they don't make a HUGE splash on the field this year, there are going to be issues.  S Florida is the worst bandwagon fan base you'll find anywhere.  Have you seen duh u's home schedule.... If they Richt up a game or two, they'll be lucky to be playing at home in front of 5 digit audiences.  I have friends that have had season tickets for 30 years, and they are just "done".  They looked at the schedule and just walked away.  Now if Miami goes on a tear and is undefeated...  and the bag/chainmen remain active, yeah they could be back.   I have no faith in Richt and even if they do "put a wall around Dade", it will hurt but the Gata doesn't pull a lot of those kids anyway.

So could there be a perfect storm that will forever doom the Gata?  The FSU, Miami, UGA triumvirate of stupid?  Yeah, sure, but UF is a great school (the best in Florida) with a rabid (literally) fanbase, and one of the strongest athletic depts in the country.  We're gonna be alright.

So I don't really want to derp up the thread with all things Gata, so let's just revisit the issue in December.  If you are right, the sky will be falling,  If I'm right the Gata will be sliding into a 10-12 ranked recruiting class in Mullen's first full year.

Edited by Loco

32 minutes ago, Loco said:

So could there be a perfect storm that will forever doom the Gata?  The FSU, Miami, UGA triumvirate of stupid?  Yeah, sure, but UF is a great school (the best in Florida) with a rabid (literally) fanbase, and one of the strongest athletic depts in the country.  We're gonna be alright.

Uhhhhh....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Uhhhhh....

Perhaps he is saying this guy was a Gators fan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_cannibal_attack

On May 26, 2012, a nude assailant, Rudy Eugene, attacked and maimed Ronald Poppo, a homeless man, on the MacArthur Causeway in Miami, Florida, making headlines worldwide. During the 18-minute filmed encounter, Eugene accused Poppo of stealing his Bible, beat him unconscious, removed Poppo's pants, and bit off most of Poppo's face above the beard (including his left eye), leaving him blind in both eyes.[1] As a result of the incident's shocking nature and subsequent worldwide media coverage, Eugene came to be dubbed the "Miami Zombie" and the "Causeway Cannibal".[2] The attack ended when Eugene was fatally shot by a Miami PDofficer.

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Didn't realize "Gata" was a thing

I'm not sure that it is...but on the off chance you didn't get that reference, allow me:

Fun fact, this piece of shit was later convicted on 18 different charges of conspiracy, tax evasion, mail and wire fraud, among others and was sentenced to five years of prison. I find it weird that a Gator fan would willingly adopt "Gata" as a moniker of any kind considering it's associated with this piece of shit. 

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

TCU grabbed a CB commit today   - 4.51 in the 40, 4.37 Pro Agility, 39' Vert (not sure where numbers come from, so ... ) 

https://247sports.com/Player/Deshawn-McCuin-46056523

https://www2.hudl.com/video/3/6514964/5a922bea3448d6251cabb755

Those numbers are from here:

http://etsn.fm/jacksonvilles-deshawn-mccuin-offered-by-louisiana-monroe/

The Jacksonville standout participated in the sixth annual ETSN/APEC Football Recruiting Combine last month and was one of the event's top overall testers. He logged top 10 finishes in the 40-yard dash (4.51), broad jump (123 inches), and vertical jump (39 inches).

He ran even better at the TCU camp. 

He's 5'11 to 6' ish and goes about 180 so it's not like he's a little skinny track guy either.  Probably plays safety or corner at TCU.  His only other FBS offer is ULM but I bet he blows up during the season and gets more.  He's one of those guys who plays QB at a small school because he's the best athlete on the team.  GP loves to recruit those guys. 

7 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

He's one of those guys who plays QB at a small school because he's the best athlete on the team.  GP loves to recruit those guys

He's made a fucking career with those guys. Thanks for the links/info. Honestly, any DB take by GP/TCU is a good offer IMO. IDGAF about his other offers or ranking. 

1 hour ago, angelos's frog said:

Those numbers are from here:

http://etsn.fm/jacksonvilles-deshawn-mccuin-offered-by-louisiana-monroe/

He ran even better at the TCU camp. 

He's 5'11 to 6' ish and goes about 180 so it's not like he's a little skinny track guy either.  Probably plays safety or corner at TCU.  His only other FBS offer is ULM but I bet he blows up during the season and gets more.  He's one of those guys who plays QB at a small school because he's the best athlete on the team.  GP loves to recruit those guys. 

They’re just making up for the fact that they missed on another dshawn last year

• Like 1

Holy hell. Maybe they have figured out that Mullen is gonna need some help... UF hires former Auburn AD Jay Jacobs as Associate AD.  FBI raids incoming.  For those of you not versed in the SEC comings and goings, here's a small sample of Jay Jacobs :: https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-ad-jay-jacobs-tigers-scandal-step-down-fired

Coaches bribing agents and players. Fraud. Sexual misconduct by coaches and an alleged department cover-up. Athletes with degrees in classes they never attended. Academic advisors taking tests for football players. Jacobs hired Bruce Pearl in his first coaching role after the NCAA gave him a three-year show cause penalty at Tennessee in 2011.

SEC! SEC! SEC! 

19 hours ago, golfclap said:

Clever.

18 hours ago, Loco said:

Oh, I agree with your synopsis...  but you left out golfclap's colorful adjectives and hyperbole.

I just read his posts, thought about drinking draino, then checked my twitter feed.   Things are rarely as bad or as good as they seem.

The Gata is still in on some big talent and while they won't get them all, it is possible to end up in the top 10-ish.  (Which Gata fans will hate)

I think Gata will finish with a top 10 class, but it might be a close one.... 

Elam, Davis, Tillman, Summerall, and Dunmore are all guys they should land and will be really good gets. 

Sanders - they have to beat our Bama for him. 

Zipperer - they have to beat out Clemson and Miami for him. 

Pickering (non-Florida) and Hunter - landing these two guys to anchor the DL would be massive for the Gata. 

Land that group and fill in the remaining spots and Gata should have a top 10 class and a good base to build on. Gata, you have one job and it's to keep FSU down. Do your damn job!

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

Jacob Clark committed to PJ Fleck and Minnesota. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Jacob-Clark-46049603

RTMFB. 

Kind of ironic that we got Duggan from Iowa who was their #1 QB target and then they get Clark from Texas who was the first '19 QB TCU offered.  In fact, we may not have even taken Duggan if Clark had jumped on our offer early. 

1 hour ago, angelos's frog said:

Kind of ironic that we got Duggan from Iowa who was their #1 QB target and then they get Clark from Texas who was the first '19 QB TCU offered.  In fact, we may not have even taken Duggan if Clark had jumped on our offer early. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5274592

Edited by Katfid54

On 6/4/2018 at 1:27 PM, golfclap said:

Chris genuinely likes the Gators...but this recruitment is very much like Adoree’ Jackson’s, he will say all the right things, but he was at USC Monday for a few hours, then from 2:00 - 7:00pm the next day, then will return for the Rising Stars camp to hang out with our coaches.  Every school he visits, thinks he will sign with them.

of course, every one has a chance, but he recently said in a premium interview, (paraphrasing) that he wants to go to a school where he’ll be exposed to corporate entrepreneurs, “the next Bill Gates” and would feel he has wasted an opportunity by surrounding himself with football players only.  Los Angeles works against us in many cases, not this one.

Edited by TrojanPrincess

1 minute ago, TrojanPrincess said:

Rising Stars....but they have to pull Chris from the clutches of our coaches.  Chris will not be participating, he’s going to “hang out” with our coaches.

He'll be a safety at the next level, and he seems like a flake. You guys can have him. We'll take Adimora, thank you.

On 6/6/2018 at 4:21 PM, TrojanPrincess said:

Thank you for conceding a player that was never yours to concede....asshole.

It's less of a concession, and more of an "I think this guy is overrated, won't be a cornerback at the next level, and is at best a flake and at worse a headcase" sort of a post. 

You say Tomato, he says Who Gives A Fuck, if you will. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's less of a concession, and move of an "I think this guy is overrated, won't be a cornerback at the next level, and is at best a flake and at worse a headcase" sort of a post. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

You're welcome, sunshine!

I see you're on top of your sock game. You can never be too careful these days. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's less of a concession, and move of an "I think this guy is overrated, won't be a cornerback at the next level, and is at best a flake and at worse a headcase" sort of a post. 

I mean.... Adoree didn't suck