Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

Gunnell to Arizona was probably the best case scenario after him going to Arkansas to beat A&M for 3-4 years, although him being probably the worst QB at Elite 11 makes me wonder how good he even is 

7 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Is that seriously the best school the top rated QB from Texas could find or is he about to take a monumental rankings tumble? Elite high school QBs dont go to Arizona.

He could be a tad overrated, but it's possible that his dad scared some teams off.

18 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Is that seriously the best school the top rated QB from Texas could find or is he about to take a monumental rankings tumble? Elite high school QBs dont go to Arizona.

As ridiculous as it sounds Sumlin may well have 2 Heisman QBs in the last 7 years by the time this season is over. Between that and the guaranteed contracts there is no doubt that that motherfucker leads a charmed life. He'll drink to that. 

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

As ridiculous as it sounds Sumlin may well have 2 Heisman QBs in the last 7 years by the time this season is over. Between that and the guaranteed contracts there is no doubt that that motherfucker leads a charmed life. He'll drink to that. 

Khalil Tate under Sumlin's wing could be an absolute fucking nightmare in the Pac 12. I can't wait to see him go off.

On 5/29/2018 at 7:01 AM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

He's definitely a good player, probably a high 4*, or low 5* recruit. South Carolina did the best job recruiting him, by far,  but I don't think this is very significant in the grand scheme of things. Everyone knew Pickens was going to Scar, but they pushed him to commit now to jump start their recruiting. Not terribly surprising, South Carolina did a better job, and Clemson signed two better prospects at DE last class, so it just made sense he would go to Scar. 

They are also set to land a former 5* DT transfer from Clemson in Josh Belk. I really liked Belk, but word is he isn't putting in the effort and wasn't happy with being buried on the depth chart. 

Fully expect Dabo to be annoyed with the Belk situation and pour it on even more in Death Valley this year. Last two meetings were 34-10, and 56-7. 

Belk just announced the transfer yesterday. Muschamp is doing serious work.

Edited by Machinator

On 6/8/2018 at 11:15 PM, angelos's frog said:

TCU gets a RB commit. Daimarqua Foster from WF Hirschi  

Ran for over 3,200 yds and 40 TDs last SEASON  

https://247sports.com/Player/Daimarqua-Foster-46050025

He's from my hometown. Saw him play, and he's pretty fucking good. They play a pretty weak schedule, but he was a man amongst boys (probably literally) 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He's from my hometown. Saw him play, and he's pretty fucking good. They play a pretty weak schedule, but he was a man amongst boys (probably literally) 

Hirschi has Ole Miss commit Lloyd Murray, too. Can't be often they have two P5 commits at once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hirschi has Ole Miss commit Lloyd Murray, too. Can't be often they have two P5 commits at once.

I was wondering where Lloyd committed to. Last I heard he decommited from FSU, and that was the last I heard of him. I went to WF Rider, so I rarely see kids from Hirschi succeed. Good for them. 

And no, that's extremely rare for that school. That's why I am surprised. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

SMU is quietly putting together a pretty decent class.  Ranked 44th overall and 1st in the AAC.  They are well above several Big 12 schools like WVU and Tech and even ahead of Chad Morris's class at Arkansas.  I think Sonny is going to turn out to be a good hire out there.  Meanwhile, beating Texas last year might be the worst thing to happen to Tech in a long time.  Kliff's uncertain status is killing Tech recruiting.  After a terrible class last year they only have 2 commits. 

Rivals is updating rankings this week, and still has Theo Wease in the top ten, this time at #3

1) Derek Stingley Jr (DB)
2) Darnell Wright (OT)
3) Theo Wease (WR)
4) Kayvon Thibodeaux (DE)
5) Quavaris Crouch (ATH)
6) Jadon Haselwood (WR)
7) Bru McCoy (WR/LB)
😎 Trey Sanders (RB)
9) Ishmael Sopsher (DT)
10) Clay Webb (C)

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Rivals is updating rankings this week, and still has Theo Wease in the top ten, this time at #3

2) Darnell Wright (OT)
3) Theo Wease (WR)
5) Quavaris Crouch (ATH)
6) Jadon Haselwood (WR)
7) Bru McCoy (WR/LB)
😎 Trey Sanders (RB)
9) Ishmael Sopsher (DT)
10) Clay Webb (C)

Yeah, top 100 tomorrow and top 250 Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

2) Darnell Wright (OT)
3) Theo Wease (WR)
5) Quavaris Crouch (ATH)
6) Jadon Haselwood (WR)
7) Bru McCoy (WR/LB)
😎 Trey Sanders (RB)
9) Ishmael Sopsher (DT)
10) Clay Webb (C)

God they're worthless

On 6/4/2018 at 5:19 PM, golfclap said:

I thought that the close to his transition class was pretty good, and he did a good job filling a few holes with guys that are your traditional transition class guys. A few of them won't make it 2 years but it looks good for the class ranking and you take a flyer on them getting straight.  Even knowing Mullen as a pretty meh recruiter (He's never going to be pulling top 5 classes in year-over-year, but that's not what you hire Mullen to do), I thought he'd be able to put something together coming off of that close and build a nice 2019 class. That has NOT been the case. This 2019 class is scary for them though because almost every difference maker in-state is trending away. 

It's clear from his approach that he is NOT utilizing his university the way that Chang and Herman do, and that he CLEARLY needs to hire better people in terms of not just media, but planning/coordination/events/scheduling,  all of those detail elements. They are 2nd rate at everything and it shows. He's been pushed around by Taggart and several schools that have been longtime Gator-feeders have opened their doors to Willie and are shutting Florida out. 2020 is trending the same way and if Taggart is able to get FSU to even play just to their ability they'll win 10 and then it's going to be a fucking bloodbath. Mullen is going to have to identify some perfect scheme fit 3* guys and his hit rate is going to have to be damn good for him to get anything rolling because Richt isn't going anywhere and it sure AF looks like Taggart is going to use FSU to it's fullest and if they win 10, you can be assured that the Noles 2019 and 2020 classes will be fucking LOADED. Another interesting thing is that Moorehead is putting together a pretty damn salty class at MSU and I don't think he's Mack Brown reincarnate. 

The thing that Mullen has going for him (just like Taggart and FSU) is that the Gators underperformed so much last season that flipping the outcome of 3-4 games seems plausible. That Nov 25th matchup could make the 2020 UF class, or it could sink it completely. (*I think the 2019 class is already sunk) 

Realted: It looks like Jahleel Billingsley (who was a supposed silent to UF) is headed back to Penn State. I'm gonna go ahead and pencil that in as another lock trending away from UF. 

Agree with everything you said. Mullen is getting his ass kicked in-state by Taggart and Richt. Sanders could still wind up at UF but their class is not looking good right now. I've heard Mullen doesn't give off the warm and fuzzies in recruiting.

Taggart pulled in an Armwood kid in the 2018 class and that place has been a Gator pipeline for years. He's also tearing it up in the Tampa Bay area. 

3 hours ago, TBGFL said:

Agree with everything you said. Mullen is getting his ass kicked in-state by Taggart and Richt. Sanders could still wind up at UF but their class is not looking good right now. I've heard Mullen doesn't give off the warm and fuzzies in recruiting.

Taggart pulled in an Armwood kid in the 2018 class and that place has been a Gator pipeline for years. He's also tearing it up in the Tampa Bay area. 

Again with the Armwood pipeline bs...  which gators went to Armwood beside Matt Jones?  

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Loco said:

Again with the Armwood pipeline bs...  which gators went to Armwood beside Matt Jones?  

Torrey Davis was a fucking 5* from Armwood, was he not? I'm sure there are more but if you think that FSU getting guys from Armwood isn't showing that Taggart is opening new doors, then you've got your fucking head buried in the sand as it is. 

first google result shows Jones, Davis, Alvin Bailey, and Mike Pearson. Too lazy to go further than the first 4 results, but I think that's more than enough. 

Edited by golfclap
google results ::

2 hours ago, George Clooney said:

Alabama lands 4* S DeMarcco Hellams. He was considered a Clemson lean, so it was unexpected. Bama will probably maintain the #1 spot in the composite when it’s all said and done.

https://247sports.com/Player/DeMarcco-Hellams-84666

That's what cracks me up the most about aggy insisting that they are going to finish with the highest ranking. Alabama has 15 commits, and 14 of them (with the exception of the kicker) are rated inside the top 300 nationally. aggy has 16 recruits, with 9 of them ranked OUTSIDE of the top 300. 

I don't even think they'll finish top 7. Their class isn't that good.

Edited by Tired of Lurking

35 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

That's what cracks me up the most about aggy insisting that they are going to finish with the highest ranking. Alabama has 15 commits, and 14 of them (with the exception of the kicker) are rated inside the top 300 nationally. aggy has 16 recruits, with 9 of them ranked OUTSIDE of the top 300. 

I don't even think they'll finish top 7. Their class isn't that good.

Yeah, aggy will likely finish 8-10 in the rankings. Bama, OU, Ohio State, Georgia, and FSU will likely finish ahead of them. Clemson, Miami, Notre Dame, us, Penn State, aggy, Auburn, USC, LSU, Tennessee, Michigan, Oregon, and maybe Miss St./South Carolina/Washington/Florida will compete for spots 6-16. Of course some teams have likely sub ranges within that range, but that’s too much to get into now. Also, I have no idea which of these teams are taking smaller classes, so there’s additional fluidity there.

Edited by George Clooney

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Torrey Davis was a fucking 5* from Armwood, was he not? I'm sure there are more but if you think that FSU getting guys from Armwood isn't showing that Taggart is opening new doors, then you've got your fucking head buried in the sand as it is. 

first google result shows Jones, Davis, Alvin Bailey, and Mike Pearson. Too lazy to go further than the first 4 results, but I think that's more than enough. 

Exactly. Lest we also forget that Coach Callahan would barely let FSU coaches, or Miami for that matter, in the door. 

Taggart is a recruiting animal and he's supposedly done a great job cleaning up the mess Jimbo left.

• Like 1

Another TCU/WR note ::

Cedar Ridge three-star receiver Jaylen Ellis tweeted on Monday night that he was visiting TCU this weekend for an official visit. I’ve been told by sources that he will not be visiting this weekend; I confirmed that news just moments ago. I’m not sure if a later date will happen or not. Ellis is committed to Baylor at the moment but still considering others including Texas. TCU may be focusing more of their efforts on Melissa receiver Kennedy Lewis and Jordan Kerley as outside targets. 

sounds like TCU wanted him to NOT use his OV yet (they may be trying to save numbers or save his OV for later in the year). 

Something is gonna have to give with WR recruiting in the state. It's a damn Mexican standoff right now and it feels like once 1 or 2 guys go, the rest will fall in short order but it's a lot of waiting-and-seeing right now. 

2 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

No comittable TCU offer at this time. 

What are you hearing about Permian's Peyton Powell?  He's visited and shown a fair amount of interest in Tech and I noticed TCU offered him today.  Seems somewhat under the radar but has some really good offers.

Fucking Holder. What is Gundy 30-9 in the last 3 years? STFU. 

Gundy could've/should've left years ago for LSU, Florida or any of those jobs like that and this is his reward?  Holder obvously didn't learn from Tech/Leach. That mullet has lost more coaches, GOOD coaches, than anyone I can think of and just kept on fucking rolling. You are not Texas or OU. Sorry. You should however be doing backflips and kissing Gundy's taint at his command, simply for the fact that he has stayed and that as such you have a damn good football program. 

I think Gundy knows this is the best job he could have for his career and quality of life. No way he survives the pressure cooker of lsu or florida type jobs.

I also think Holder is acting as the voice for Tboone moving forward, Tboone and Gundy seem to have been at odds for a while.

12 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

What are you hearing about Permian's Peyton Powell?  He's visited and shown a fair amount of interest in Tech and I noticed TCU offered him today.  Seems somewhat under the radar but has some really good offers.

TCU was late to offer him because he's only played QB and they wanted to see him catching the ball.  I guess they finally saw him in 7v7 or something and made the offer.  We're about a month behind UT and tOSU though.  Nebraska has offered him a chance to play QB so that may give them an advantage although I haven't seen anything that would indicate he's favoring anyone at this point.