Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

5 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I don't have a soft spot for any of the Big 12. Fuck them all, but also fuck OU again.

Eh. I enjoyed watching Iowa State have a resurgence under Campbell last year, especially during their OU game. Now, if they beat us at home this year, then I'm deleting this post.

I also generally root for Okie State when they're not playing us or their games don't have an affect on where we finish in conference.  I guess, what I'm really saying is I enjoy watching teams beat OU or teams that hate  OU.

So, in conclusion, fuck OU. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I don't have a soft spot for any of the Big 12. Fuck them all, but also fuck OU again.

Don't get me wrong, I want Bama to whip MissSt and Vandy, any time they play but otherwise, I will root for them in any other games, unless it somehow hurts Bama. I will occasionally root for LSU, depending on the game in question. The rest can kiss my piss.

8 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

Kennedy Lewis, WR from Melissa, Tx commits.  Probably the top WR on TCUs board after his performance at the TCU camp recently   

Offers from UT, Washington, Cal, Nebraska and about a dozen other P5 schools.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/kennedyclewis1/status/1009225158048059392

Nice pickup. It's hard to tell which of the logjam of upper-mid-level WRs UT has offered we're actually prioritizing but Lewis definitely has talent.

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's looking like Bama will likely land Dax Hill. Better them than OU. This would mean OU losing a stud in-state safety two years in a row. 

The Sooner mouth-breathers all got pissed when I talked about Hill no-showing OU in April for like the 4th time in a row. That was around the time that Saban started to skype him regularly. Saban's hit-rate on guys like that is pretty fucking ridiculous. 

On 6/20/2018 at 10:49 AM, cafe society said:

I will root for Okie St, Iowa St and TCU (not a popular choice here, but I grew up right down the street).  I will never root for BlowU or Rape U.  Everyone else in the league is just meh.

I generally like everybody in the league except Rape U and BlowU. Okie State is my favorite just because my uncle and cousin went there and we have a common enemy.

2 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Have y’all seen how much bread Clemson is filling up on? I know they’ve had a bunch of success with these types of players recently but they’ve become accustomed to recruiting more elite players for the past few years. Does Dabo just need a huge class this year?

I was about to bring this up. It is very interesting in comparison to their last class.

Clemson's an interesting case because they don't process players to the level that some of the other top programs do.

Dabo also built that program up by recruiting decently (but not necessarily elite across the board) and developing what was on his roster exceptionally well. I'm curious to see how they sustain their success on a yearly basis. Thoughts, @Doc Sam Beckett?

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

After this I'll just assume Dabo knows what he wants:

DRhaPjoVQAAGDzT.jpg

If you go by 247 composite KJ Henry was actually the #2 player in North Carolina. They can just replace him in this graphic with Justyn Ross of Alabama to make it true.

On 5/30/2018 at 1:14 PM, Fud said:

So LSU landed a 2020 QB recently, and apparently told him that they're not taking a 2019 QB... they didn't take one in 2018 either. Apparently Orgeron went to the Mack Brown school of position stacking. 

“LSU did everything that they promised,” David Finley said. “They came and told TJ the truth. They went and told TJ we’re trying to sign the quarterback from Ohio State (Joe Burrow). If we get him he has two more years of eligibility and we won’t be looking for a quarterback in 2019. If you commit to us you’ll be able to come in as a freshman and win the job. When they got the transfer-student, everything fell in place for TJ there."

This didn't last long.  LSU just took a QB commit for 2019.

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Clemson's an interesting case because they don't process players to the level that some of the other top programs do.

Dabo also built that program up by recruiting decently (but not necessarily elite across the board) and developing what was on his roster exceptionally well. I'm curious to see how they sustain their success on a yearly basis. Thoughts, @Doc Sam Beckett?

Yeah Dabo is all about creating a culture and locker room that fits vision. Two guys in this class will have "feel good" stories, one tore his acl at Dabo's camp and the other busted his ass at two camps to receive his dream offer. I don't see Clemson having trouble sustaining their success, but they are going to need to get Caldwell some help on the OL. Clemson is getting absolutely destroyed by rivals with OL recruits, but pretty much every other position group is solid. They have a top 10 QB recruit for the third year in a row, and look very good to land their top two targets at WR. DL is not quite at the level most are used to seeing, but they already have a beast in the 2020 class committed. 

Clemson is going to take a huge class and it will be a very good class as long as they land Andrew Booth. He's been a huge target for a long time. They can focus on him, and a few other top priorities now that depth has been filled in. Finish with Booth, Tyler Davis, Joe Ngata, Quavaris Crouch and a couple of decent OL and this will be a very good class. 

Some of the current commits are depth/locker room Jags, but some are guys the staff has identified and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up a lot higher on the rankings when signing day rolls around. Constantin has shot up the rankings and Venables targeted him back when he was ranked in the 50s for OLB. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cash, Lay, Ohorohoro, Spector, and maybe Thornton or Zanders move up the rankings as well. 

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah Dabo is all about creating a culture and locker room that fits vision. Two guys in this class will have "feel good" stories, one tore his acl at Dabo's camp and the other busted his ass at two camps to receive his dream offer. I don't see Clemson having trouble sustaining their success, but they are going to need to get Caldwell some help on the OL. Clemson is getting absolutely destroyed by rivals with OL recruits, but pretty much every other position group is solid. They have a top 10 QB recruit for the third year in a row, and look very good to land their top two targets at WR. DL is not quite at the level most are used to seeing, but they already have a beast in the 2020 class committed. 

Clemson is going to take a huge class and it will be a very good class as long as they land Andrew Booth. He's been a huge target for a long time. They can focus on him, and a few other top priorities now that depth has been filled in. Finish with Booth, Tyler Davis, Joe Ngata, Quavaris Crouch and a couple of decent OL and this will be a very good class. 

Some of the current commits are depth/locker room Jags, but some are guys the staff has identified and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up a lot higher on the rankings when signing day rolls around. Constantin has shot up the rankings and Venables targeted him back when he was ranked in the 50s for OLB. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cash, Lay, Ohorohoro, Spector, and maybe Thornton or Zanders move up the rankings as well. 

Now read it in an Aggie voice

• Like 2

On 6/24/2018 at 6:58 PM, satyanash said:

Kevin Sjuts, sports director of a Lincoln TV station affiliate, posted this video of a Nebraska DB manhandling a WR at a camp. 

Everyone from D'Shawn Jamison to Quandre Diggs to Demetric Warren is calling him out in the comments.

How does no one at the camp call him out on this?

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bobby and the snowglobe on my desk have approximately the same chance of successfully making it through medical school and becoming a "brain surgeon"

I will shit a golden snowglobe and set sarvanaash's keyboard on fire if Bobby Wolfe is anything but a bust by the time his loudmouthed, low impact college football career is finished. 

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bobby and the snowglobe on my desk have approximately the same chance of successfully making it through medical school and becoming a "brain surgeon"

I mean, I remember the gist of the quote and subsequent jokes, but wasn't it specifically something absurd and wrong he said? Not Brain Surgeon or Neurosurgeon, but something wrong-headed and idiotic like "Brain Doctor" or "Melon Scalpel Operator?"

ISU got a good RB commit.  Breece Hall, 6'1" 215 lbs from Wichita, KS.  Offers from TCU, Iowa, Michigan, Mizzou, Nebraska, Louisville, Minnesota, Ole Miss, K State, Purdue, Rutgers and Tennessee.   I'm not sure how many of those were committable but that's a solid list of offers.  As far as I know, TCU's offer was committable although I think there is another prospect out there that TCU is focusing on at this time.  TCU offered pretty early in the process but ISU was his first offer last November. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Breece-Hall-46050232

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

I can't decide if I'd rather have Wolfe go to Arkansas so I can laugh at A&M fans, or for him to take up a spot at A&M with A&M thinking they're fine with him at corner 

I think I prefer the long game. Let Wolfe commit to A&M now and keep that roller coaster chugging along.

36 minutes ago, Fud said:

I can't decide if I'd rather have Wolfe go to Arkansas so I can laugh at A&M fans, or for him to take up a spot at A&M with A&M thinking they're fine with him at corner 

Young isn't a CB either.  They should have went all in on Banks.

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Young isn't a CB either.  They should have went all in on Banks.

Yeah Banks is a little jaggy despite great DB schools like LSU and Texas willing to take his offer, but at least he's a corner

Maybe they end up with Carter, but it would be funny for us to swoop in last second and steal him if we decide he's worth taking a chance on 

9 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

I've heard nothing about TCU and Doerue for months other than he included us in his top 10.  I haven't read anything to indicate he's close to making a decision.

That's kind of where I am as well.  Seemingly interested in Tech, visited and he said it went well, included them in his top 10 and very little communication since.  Appears to me to be a pretty good looking RB.

2 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

That's kind of where I am as well.  Seemingly interested in Tech, visited and he said it went well, included them in his top 10 and very little communication since.  Appears to me to be a pretty good looking RB.

There’s a chance someone has him sandbagging the process.