Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

Alabama adds to their insurmountable lead by taking their 6th 4* defensive line commit. Meanwhile, aggy still holds on to the false hope of claiming the top class and that they are somehow putting together an offensive line that will not get their QBs murdered when they face Bama every year. This also means they likely don't have room for Leal, so we should be the only team who can flip him. Just win, baby.

31 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Alabama adds to their insurmountable lead by taking their 6th 4* defensive line commit. Meanwhile, aggy still holds on to the false hope of claiming the top class and that they are somehow putting together an offensive line that will not get their QBs murdered when they face Bama every year. This also means they likely don't have room for Leal, so we should be the only team who can flip him. Just win, baby.

That isn't how Alabama operates. If they think Leal or the Hawaiian is better than a committed player, they will bring him in and ditch their lowest ranked DL or the DL who was injured his senior year. Only the final numbers matter. Alabama will continue to recruit 5 star talents.

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

That isn't how Alabama operates. If they think Leal or the Hawaiian is better than a committed player, they will bring him in and ditch their lowest ranked DL or the DL who was injured his senior year. Only the final numbers matter. Alabama will continue to recruit 5 star talents.

They've already started the process of trapdooring one of them. They cut off contact and quit inviting him to events.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

They've already started the process of trapdooring one of them. They cut off contact and quit inviting him to events.

It would be funny if they paid guys to decommit. But it won't happen. If Alabama wants to it can simply not honor the scholarship offer. Despite it being a contract, I guess public schools can get out of it because it is so difficult to sue public entities. I wonder what the lawyers think, though. Damages seem like they could be pretty high given that Alabama sells the fact that more of their kids get drafted.

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It would be funny if they paid guys to decommit. But it won't happen. If Alabama wants to it can simply not honor the scholarship offer. Despite it being a contract, I guess public schools can get out of it because it is so difficult to sue public entities. I wonder what the lawyers think, though. Damages seem like they could be pretty high given that Alabama sells the fact that more of their kids get drafted.

Until he signs his actual LOI bama can pull his offer at anytime.

49 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Higher rated than Taurean Carter FWIW.

I doubt Leal will be an option for Alabama, though. They will go after Sopsher and Tuitele and Walker. They will probably get one of those guys and trapdoor one other player. I don't think they would trapdoor more than that and I don't think they would sign more than 6 DTs. Plus, Leal (aside from the upfront money) would be stupid to sign with them given that there are other options with a more straightforward path to success.

Edited by Bevo

I haven't really been following recruiting outside of Texas - so someone help me out and explain what the fuck is going on with Clemson's recruiting.  They've got more 3* than aggy currently committed.  Only one top 125 player.  They have a lower avg ranking than Jimbo's fucking Olive Garden of a squad.   

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I haven't really been following recruiting outside of Texas - so someone help me out and explain what the fuck is going on with Clemson's recruiting.  They've got more 3* than aggy currently committed.  Only one top 125 player.  They have a lower avg ranking than Jimbo's fucking Olive Garden of a squad.   

Swinney has a process that is proven, at this point, so there's some level of "Trust Dabo" that even I would buy off on. That said, yeah, it's weird that they don't have more than 1 regional 5 star on board. I'm sure they'll get there. I know that everyone around here was handwringing about Clemson signing a top 5 class and they may get there with some big additions or pure volume, but if Texas winds up signing 27-28 guys, I don't see Clemson keeping them out of the top 5. 

What happens when a guy commits to a school when they didn't have a commitable offer? Do the schools let the players save face by letting them decommit or flip? Obviously coaches can't comment so we don't know how often this happens but poor bama probably has to deal with this on occasion. 

44 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

What happens when a guy commits to a school when they didn't have a commitable offer? Do the schools let the players save face by letting them decommit or flip? Obviously coaches can't comment so we don't know how often this happens but poor bama probably has to deal with this on occasion. 

The kids usually call the school to let them know they are committing before going public with their commitment. So a school is going to let him know right then and there if he can commit or not 

Edited by utfan87

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wiltfong and Bama' mod crystal balled another DT to Bama' today, 4* out of Utah.

I've seen some of the more respectable Bama posters, or at least the ones that other Bama posters listen to, say that this guy is better than Sopsher and Fatti Tutti, and that the latter two are really overrated but still takes 

47 minutes ago, Fud said:

I've seen some of the more respectable Bama posters, or at least the ones that other Bama posters listen to, say that this guy is better than Sopsher and Fatti Tutti, and that the latter two are really overrated but still takes 

I'm sure Texas has no problem taking either of them...

11 hours ago, Fud said:

Sopsher is lazy and soft. There are legitimate doubts about him making it at the next level. 

TCU gets a commit from Colt Ellison, a DE from Aledo.  This is a really good pick up for the Frogs.  He will be our second highest ranked commit so far.  Offers from Notre Dame, Penn State, Washington, Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tennessee, CU, Utah, Mizzou, Vandy, OSU, Tech and a bunch of others. 

https://247sports.com/player/colt-ellison-46040231

Edited by angelos's frog

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Brian Kelly did something dickish? No waaaaaaayyyyy

Idiotic is probably the better word. Looks like the WR coach accepted this guy's commitment when he wasn't supposed to. Kelly still deserves blame for not conveying his intentions properly to the assistant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Notre Dame WR commit gets his offer pulled unceremoniously.

Dh1hrLRUYAE_E9Z.jpg

https://247sports.com/Player/TJ-Sheffield-45572611

That's pretty fucked up from ND. Don't know anything about this kid, but he is rated a mid 4 star and their lone WR commit is a mid 3 star. I wonder what's ND's reasoning is behind all of this. Good luck to this kid, he seems like a good dude

55 minutes ago, T-dog said:

That's pretty fucked up from ND. Don't know anything about this kid, but he is rated a mid 4 star and their lone WR commit is a mid 3 star. I wonder what's ND's reasoning is behind all of this. Good luck to this kid, he seems like a good dude

This is why kids call before committing to make sure that they can, but shit happens. This is hardly the first time this has ever happened 

5 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

This is why kids call before committing to make sure that they can, but shit happens. This is hardly the first time this has ever happened 

Exactly. And to accept his commitment just to walk it back three days later shines a pretty bad light on the inside of the ND organisation

On 6/8/2018 at 11:15 PM, angelos's frog said:

TCU gets a RB commit. Daimarqua Foster from WF Hirschi  

Ran for over 3,200 yds and 40 TDs last SEASON  

https://247sports.com/Player/Daimarqua-Foster-46050025

247 has bumped Foster to a 4 star (91 rating) and the #11 RB in the nation.  #233 overall.  That makes him our highest ranked recruit per their rankings.  Duggan (QB) also got bumped to the #3 dual threat QB in the country (up from 10 or 11).

https://247sports.com/Player/Daimarqua-Foster-46050025

On 7/11/2018 at 11:46 AM, Machinator said:

Notre Dame WR commit gets his offer pulled unceremoniously.

Dh1hrLRUYAE_E9Z.jpg

https://247sports.com/Player/TJ-Sheffield-45572611

Incredibly shitty move by Kelly, but the kid's response is beyond awesome.  The publicists who write statements for pro athletes and other celebrities couldn't do any better. As long as Sheffield doesn't wind up at OU or aggy, I'll be pulling for him. 

On 6/5/2018 at 2:25 PM, Loco said:

So could there be a perfect storm that will forever doom the Gata?  The FSU, Miami, UGA triumvirate of stupid?  Yeah, sure, but UF is a great school (the best in Florida) with a rabid (literally) fanbase, and one of the strongest athletic depts in the country.  We're gonna be alright.

So I don't really want to derp up the thread with all things Gata, so let's just revisit the issue in December.  If you are right, the sky will be falling,  If I'm right the Gata will be sliding into a 10-12 ranked recruiting class in Mullen's first full year.

thought I'd check in during the dead period ...  

Florida’s recruiting is struggling a bit. Especially in the state of Florida. The Gators’ class ranks 33rd nationally and 10th in the SEC. A helpful reader let us know that the list of kids who have decommitted from the Gators is actually rated higher than the list of players who are committed. 

Let’s check. Florida’s current commits (11): 5-stars: 0 | 4-stars: 4 | 3-stars: 7 | Total stars: 37 | Average stars: 3.4 
Florida’s decommitments (9): 5-stars: 1 | 4-stars: 5 | 3-stars: 3 | Total stars: 34 | Average stars: 3.8 

Turns out this is true. Florida’s decommitment list would be rated higher as a class than its commitments, despite having two fewer. That’s because the quality of the players Florida has lost is higher than the commitments it has added. To be exact, UF’s decommitment class would be rated No. 25 nationally

It's almost like I said this was happening in the state of Florida more than a month ago ... 

current "triumvirate of stupid" rankings ::

UGA - ranked 8 with 12 commits - 94.1 avg
FSU - ranked 14 with 13 commits - 91.7 avg
Miami - ranked 17 with 16 commits - 88.91 avg

Florida - ranked 33 with 11 commits - 88.32 avg