Mehringer fired, Beck, Meekins reassigned

mdmost

27 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

One more year to tolerate Mensa’s bullshit. He doesn’t deserve year 4, but whatever. When our new OC calls the first go-for-it-on-4th-with-power-running fail because binder, we’ll go apeshit. Deep down, we all know it will happen because mensa can’t help mensa-ing.

well sure but for now, there is a glimmer of hope.  he wasn't getting fired.

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

too funny.  he is doing exactly what we said he needed to do.

Fire Meh - he sucks and no one likes him, avg recruiter

Fire Orlando - doesn't recruit, married to his scheme that he can't coach, has never run a P5 defense

reassign Beck - great recruiter - keeo him on staff if you can

keep Drayton - if he loses Bijan you can shitcan him later - he's the RB coach - his only job is basically recruiting

Meekins - dead weight, reassign and fire later if needed after recruiting season.

just waiting for the Warehime shoe to drop.  Horny needs to be gone but whatever he's not a coach.

Which poster is Herman? 

1 hour ago, Chad said:

I didn't believe MENSA had the balls to clean house, but he's doing it.

This!   I'll give credit where it's due.

But.... Full credit is issued with whom he  chooses  as replacements and then performance next fall.   If they all produce the same chit show as we just finished, then they should all be gone including Tom.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

That's fair.  But it's also fair to say mensa has no proven coaching history to suggest he will figure things out.  I'm going to say he fails because he was unable to build on Sugar Bowl success. This team had so much going for it in 2019.  I didn't expect them to go undefeated.  But I expected a rematch against ousux in Dallas for the B12 Championship.  The bottom fell out under Tom's watch.  If reports are true, he let a cancer (Meh) remain on campus all year, and Baylor--yes BAYLOR--has an outside chance at the CFP if they beat ousux.  Texas is not where it should be.  Coordinator replacements won't address the bigger problem---this job is too big for mensa.  Deep down we all know this.

Ed O failed miserably at Ole Miss and had no proven coaching history. He appeared on the verge of failing at LSU as well, I mean two years ago they lost to some Sun Belt team named Troy in Baton Rogue and played in that Camping World bowl we're dreading hoping Texas isn't a part of. Believe me I'm as steamed as anyone about the 2019 season that was completely squandered. With a competent OC/DC and a secondary coach who can teach those kids to properly tackle and make a play on the ball things could be better in 2020. Baylor lucked out with their hire, they could easily be back to where they were before Briles.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yea but they weren’t coming off a 7-5 season. Having a new OC and DC is different than firing your DC because he sucked and “reassigning” your OC because your a pussy and think no one else you hire could possibly recruit well. 

maybe I should reframe the question. What HC had to redesign his coaching staff going into year 4 coming off a 7-5 year. Dabo? Dabo fired that many guys? I seriously was asking because I don’t remember anything this drastic happening and it working out for the HC. Seems like a waste of a year with a guy like Urban Meyer sitting there waiting.

Dabo fired his OC (Billy Napier) after his second year. Before Clemson got depantsed by WVU at the end of the third year, he gave his DC (Kevin Steele) a vote of confidence/kiss of death by saying he was sure the defense was going to win the game for Clemson. WVU hung 100 on Clemson and Steele was officially fired shortly after, but essentially gone long before that game. In that year The Chad already had the offense turned around.... 

Not sure it's a great parallel, because I think there is a lot more going on than just the coordinators in both situations, but Napier almost got Dabo canned and he was smart enough to make the changes needed to fit the vision he had. Dabo has done a shit ton to build Clemson that doesn't get talked about often.

As an outsider, I personally don't think Herman is the answer, but I will say if he swallows his pride and does what needs to be done to win, then that would change my opinion. That move to me would be to bring in Joe Brady as is being mentioned, or some air raid phenom, and mash the offensive styles together. Fuck your pride, let's win. 

14 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I gotta say I'm more than a little disappointed that Warehime is somehow still a coach for this team. It's beyond stupid that he and Horny still have jobs after seeing how special our special teams really are. 

Yeah but there’s still time. We still have to have enough coaches to coach the bowl game (Even if Channing Warehime might be a net positive) and he only opened up 2 assistant spots for the new coordinators. I bet they’ll want to be able to hire more than one assistant each. 

• Like 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah but there’s still time. We still have to have enough coaches to coach the bowl game (Even if Channing Warehime might be a net positive) and he only opened up 2 assistant spots for the new coordinators. I bet they’ll want to be able to hire more than one assistant each. 

Yeah, I think you're right. I keep forgetting the bowl game and just want the staff gutted (other than a few). 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

He was a WR coach that had never even played WR. Receivers liked listening to him about as much as you would like listening to a personal trainer that had never exercised.

You make a good point. Prior to our marriage, my wife had never been a spouse before.

Edited by Spawn of Cthulhu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm very happy to have been wrong about the staff changes, but I'm going to need to see who the replacements are before I'll consider changing my mind about Herman.

Also, that shit with Mehringer's bitch ass, if even 25% true, is exactly how talented offenses (and teams) fall apart midway through a season. Especially if you sprinkle in shitty, shitty playcalling and a historically bad defense. If true, the fact that Herman didn't fire him on the spot is concerning. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Dabo fired his OC (Billy Napier) after his second year. Before Clemson got depantsed by WVU at the end of the third year, he gave his DC (Kevin Steele) a vote of confidence/kiss of death by saying he was sure the defense was going to win the game for Clemson. WVU hung 100 on Clemson and Steele was officially fired shortly after, but essentially gone long before that game. In that year The Chad already had the offense turned around.... 

Not sure it's a great parallel, because I think there is a lot more going on than just the coordinators in both situations, but Napier almost got Dabo canned and he was smart enough to make the changes needed to fit the vision he had. Dabo has done a shit ton to build Clemson that doesn't get talked about often.

As an outsider, I personally don't think Herman is the answer, but I will say if he swallows his pride and does what needs to be done to win, then that would change my opinion. That move to me would be to bring in Joe Brady as is being mentioned, or some air raid phenom, and mash the offensive styles together. Fuck your pride, let's win. 

Baylor has shown it's not the players but the coaches and scheme that are important. That 2016 class is now juniors and they're hitting on all cylinders. It will be hard to replace some of those seniors for sure, but the fact that those players stuck around when they sucked shows what kind of coach that guy is. I can't even imagine how shitty it was going 1-11 to where they are now. Good thing Baylor doesn't just lean on football for success. Tech and Baylor are similar in this sense with Tech slanting a lot harder to basketball now. 

51 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I gotta say I'm more than a little disappointed that Warehime is somehow still a coach for this team. It's beyond stupid that he and Horny still have jobs after seeing how special our special teams really are. 

I don't know, but maybe firing is too good for these two? Maybe we will see a public lynching, followed by a first class hanging?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m excited for change, but since we run Herman’s offense I’m assuming the new OC will be someone that runs Herman’s offense just like beck did. So no innovation, hopefully better coaching/scheming. 

Not sure that Delconte doesn't have a say in that and has sat Tom down and covered that. I could be 100% wrong though, I'm posting on surly for godsakes. Who really knows anything? I will guarantee you this. Something someone says here will come true. 

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

We can't even enjoy these coaching moves without some fuckhead shitting on the way we fire our coaches? JFC. 

He’s being a bit extreme, no doubt, but overall I’m leaning much more the way of @Rockethorn1978‘s take on things here.  I’ll reserve the excitement until I see how this whole thing really unfolds.  And he’s right, typically this level of staff gutting is just delaying the inevitable.

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

He’s being a bit extreme, no doubt, but overall I’m leaning much more the way of @Rockethorn1978‘s take on things here.  I’ll reserve the excitement until I see how this whole thing really unfolds.  And he’s right, typically this level of staff gutting is just delaying the inevitable.

He hired a bad staff. We complained about it 3 years ago,  we bitched when he kept them in place up to now. 
I’ll hold out hope that herman has learned that he is fallible and he can’t just use friends and yes men to get it done. 
I’ll have that hope because the alternative is that we’re still years away from truly competing and I don’t want to embrace that reality until I have to. Which might be as soon as the new hires are announced. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

He will probably just say offense will be called by committee keeping beck involved. Nothing will change as long as Herman is the HC. 

How many HC have canned there OC and DC heading into their 4th season and won a national Championship? Zero. This is called wasting a year knowing we are firing Herman next year.

Even worse, Dabo fired his shitty OC heading into his 4th season and his shitty DC heading into his 5th having won nothing of note at that point, showing no promise (7-6,9-5, 6-7) and being a poor Xs&Os coach. At least wait and see the hires before you get mad.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Please hire an OC who hates poorly designed bubble screens.

Fixed that.

The bubble screen works, a lot and at a lot of places.  Neither Greg's nor whoever the fuck takes credit for the current abortion that ours are designs them worth a flying fuck.  The ones the work get the ball to a receiver with some semblance of forward momentum, at full speed...no, but sure as fuck not at full stop like ours always are.  They also have effective blocking designs.  Ours have always generally provided one, if any blockers and then asks the receiver who is catching the ball at a dead stop to beat one, if not perhaps two defenders who are flying full speed ahead at his parked ass.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Did Derka hijack your passcode today, or, did you forget to take your rational pills today?

oh Rex, always giving me that attention that I supposedly seek so much. i would say "never change", but you already are incapable of doing so. well, except for your username. 

Serious question...I know he can recruit, but what are y’all seeing that has Beck as this great QB coach?  Am I missing something or is this just normal surly groupthink going on here?
It's possible he wants to replace Beck also but has talked privately with Sam and Sam would prefer Beck be his coach thru his senior year.

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He hired a bad staff. We complained about it 3 years ago,  we bitched when he kept them in place up to now. 
I’ll hold out hope that herman has learned that he is fallible and he can’t just use friends and yes men to get it done. 
I’ll have that hope because the alternative is that we’re still years away from truly competing and I don’t want to embrace that reality until I have to. Which might be as soon as the new hires are announced. 

but but but "alignment!" 🤣

18 minutes ago, Thujone said:

It's gonna be Graham Harrell. I'm-on-fucking-board.

Guy's a fucking dick, but I'm guessing he can coordinate an offense better than anything we've seen on this staff.

God I hated that mutherfucker at Tech.

I wanted him dead, which means he's good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's more remarkable that you have to nearly go back to the Greg fucking Davis days to find an offense scheme that had some form of progression or cohesion from what's coached around the state at the HS level.  Sure, it's a little gimmicky and I'm a fan of mixing in power-run but the Air Raid and Veer/Shoot schemes seemed far too easy to plug in with a roster of 3* in-state kids by assigning speed where it mattered most and mixing up the same basic plays they already knew from varsity days.

19 minutes ago, Modessit said:
1 hour ago, Landomatic said:
Serious question...I know he can recruit, but what are y’all seeing that has Beck as this great QB coach?  Am I missing something or is this just normal surly groupthink going on here?

It's possible he wants to replace Beck also but has talked privately with Sam and Sam would prefer Beck be his coach thru his senior year.

Well, that would be a horrible reason to keep him.

Regardless, it still doesn’t answer my question of why all these surly posters seem to think he’s this great QB coach.

Most are just dumbasses parroting something they heard another dumbass say, I guess.

I find the idea of a coach feeding plays to opposing staff ludicrous, and the idea of those coaches acting on that knowledge even more ludicrous.

I also find the idea of that coach being fired as opposed to being beaten within an inch of his life in the showers equally ludicrous.

Lots of ludicrosity.

• Like 7