Mehringer fired, Beck, Meekins reassigned

mdmost

7 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Well, that would be a horrible reason to keep him.

Regardless, it still doesn’t answer my question of why all these surly posters seem to think he’s this great QB coach.

Most are just dumbasses parroting something they heard another dumbass say, I guess.

Aren’t you the same guy who was pining for Chip Kelly last time we were hiring a coach? Maybe slow down on calling other people dumbasses.

I can’t speak for everyone, but when I say keep him as a position coach, I mean WR or TE, not QB. Just about any OC we hire will want to be the QB coach. Beck has coached WRs before with success and he’s proven to be an elite recruiter everywhere he’s been, including UT.

Either way, who knows if Beck will even choose to stay as a position coach after the bowl game. 

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I find the idea of a coach feeding plays to opposing staff ludicrous, and the idea of those coaches acting on that knowledge even more ludicrous.

I also find the idea of that coach being fired as opposed to being beaten within an inch of his life in the showers equally ludicrous.

Lots of ludicrosity.

I find your entire post to be spot on.  And to anyone who buys that “gave our plays to the other team” ludicrousacityness, I have a bridge to sell you.  Jesus, even my teenager knows not to believe everything you read on the internet.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Aren’t you the same guy who was pining for Chip Kelly last time we were hiring a coach? Maybe slow down on calling other people dumbasses.

I can’t speak for everyone, but when I say keep him as a position coach, I mean WR or TE, not QB. Just about any OC we hire will want to be the QB coach. Beck has coached WRs before with success and he’s proven to be an elite recruiter everywhere he’s been, including UT.

Either way, who knows if Beck will even choose to stay as a position coach after the bowl game. 

Aren’t you the guy who thought Charlie would be good at UT.  And Herman after him?  Along with just about everyone else on this site and tos?  Maybe slow down on telling me to slow down, dumbass.

That’s great if you don’t want him as a QB coach.  Several other people, on this and other threads, have said they do and I’m just curious why.

• Like 1

Guy's a fucking dick, but I'm guessing he can coordinate an offense better than anything we've seen on this staff.
God I hated that mutherfucker at Tech.
I wanted him dead, which means he's good.

Ability to coordinate not just limited to an offense...

a2046007f3ea2e6ee81f55b3ea093602.jpg

...but to attire for Christmas card pics as well.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't understand why anyone would stay at a job after being demoted.

If you are being paid several hundred thousand at UT and don't have the prospects of getting paid that much somewhere else, it's not that hard of a decision.  Beck has failed at his last 2 OC jobs.  Meekins isn't getting another comparable coaching offer.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I had the same thoughts about Akina after 2007, but he stuck around.  And we actually had good defenses and DBs for about 4 years after that until the Diaz bomb exploded.

I am skeptical Beck stays after the bowl, though.  I guess maybe if we are going to pay him coordinator money to coach WRs or something, but that seems less than ideal.

If Washington doesn't stay on with the new DC, make Beck the Recruiting Coordinator as well as an Offensive position coach. Unless he really wants to be a playcaller that wouldn't be a bad deal and would maximize his strengths.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't understand why anyone would stay at a job after being demoted.

Family situations (kids in school, wife tired of moving, side piece hasn't graduated, etc), no other good job situation available, happy in current situation (locale, family, etc).  Beck has now failed twice at big schools as part time OC, maybe he realizes he's better as a positional coach?  Maybe he doesn't want to go back to coordinating at a place like Troy St.  I don't think most of these re-assigned guys will stick, but there are sometimes reasons for these guys to stay for a time.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Can Samples actually coach?  Is he good?  Are there any reports or analysis that verifies this?  

I know the recruits like him.  They need all of the recruiters they can add to the staff.  But I want to see the receivers develop and dominate the opposition.  Can Samples provide that?

If not, what coaches out there should we inquire about? 

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Fixed that.

The bubble screen works, a lot and at a lot of places.  Neither Greg's nor whoever the fuck takes credit for the current abortion that ours are designs them worth a flying fuck.  The ones the work get the ball to a receiver with some semblance of forward momentum, at full speed...no, but sure as fuck not at full stop like ours always are.  They also have effective blocking designs.  Ours have always generally provided one, if any blockers and then asks the receiver who is catching the ball at a dead stop to beat one, if not perhaps two defenders who are flying full speed ahead at his parked ass.  

I'm sure our bubble screens in practice worked because our DB's play 10 yards off the ball.  

Edited by Harrison Stafford
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chad said:

Get a grip. Herman is displaying the testicular fortitude to change things up on a level that Mack refused to do throughout his entire tenure. There will be two new play callers and I have a gut feeling Herman isn't finished yet. I don't understand why you're criticizing him for following through with what the vast majority of the board wanted trimming off the fat. If it fails then it fails, oh fucking well we've dealt with a decade of misery what's one more year?

This.  We're getting what we wanted and what we didn't think thermensa had the fortitude to do.  Maybe he was made to do it.  Then kudos to CDC.  Either way the way they played it allows therm to take the credit for it.  NO ONE is going to believe it's not destined to fail until it doesn't fail.  But at least we got what we wanted and deloss and mack would have never done this.

Best of all is the message to the players - we are not going to fuck you and leave you on an island with incompetent coaching.

2 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Texas is not where it should be.  Coordinator replacements won't address the bigger problem---this job is too big for mensa.  Deep down we all know this.

True, but for the first time in the history of burnt orange intertrons, the people have been heard and acknowledged.  Deuteronomy 5:28.

45 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I find your entire post to be spot on.  And to anyone who buys that “gave our plays to the other team” ludicrousacityness, I have a bridge to sell you.  Jesus, even my teenager knows not to believe everything you read on the internet.

I choose to believe your avatar is real.

12 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

This.  We're getting what we wanted and what we didn't think thermensa had the fortitude to do.  Maybe he was made to do it.  Then kudos to CDC.

That isn't how an athletic director handles things. This was Herman's decision.

Doesn't seem that hard to understand.  Beck's not particularly young; maybe he's concluded that these are his limitations and he's lucky to be working for a blueblood school with a boss he likes for more money than he probably deserves or could get elsewhere.  Seems pretty sensible and humble to me if the offer's open. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

How about a good old fashioned tar and feathering.   I've only seen that on the internet and movies.   

Hot tar is involved in some instances, and it smells horrible, the flesh bubbles, oh and the flesh is burning so that smells even more horrible.  And the person keeps on screaming until they pass out.  Would rather not see or smell that again.  

I read that tarring and feathering wa**s**n**'**t super painful. The **tar** wasn't as hot as people think. It was more about the humiliation of a fellow townsperson having feathers (tar was just a vehicle for stickiness), not about killing the guy who lives down the street.

Fuck autocorrect not wanting me to talk about medieval Justice!