Mehringer fired, Beck, Meekins reassigned

mdmost

3 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Why did Herman hire this fool in this 1st place? 

apparently you are not familiar with the term "alignment".  too funny if  he was the guy going behind Herman's back badmouthing him. Herman needs to get a few grown-ups in the door.  once Orlando failed he was doomed.  Beck is probably a grown-up but hes a crappy OC.  everyone else was a sycophant(not counting Hand of course)

12 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

People that stick around a place where they just got demoted know they suck at their job and are just happy to keep collecting a check.

Agreed, but, you gotta admit, some of these particular checks are pretty freaking good checks.

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Athletic directors direct: They don't actively tell a coach he has to fire specific people unless it is related to violations of school policy.

This is a broad generalization that’s not at all correct.

Not to mention, CDC has already done this himself at his last stop. He literally told Patterson he had to update his offense, which led to the Cumbie/Meachum pairing. 

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Athletic director at a major football university always seems like a weird dynamic.  You in theory are the boss but make a lot less than the HFC.  Hell did Orlando make more than CDC?

Coaches and managers also make less than star and even average athletes too, I dont think its too weird.  Or also in sales management for a subordinate with a hot-shot year. 

Or, at some extent, a board member vs executive.

Sometimes the value of execution outweighs the management/oversight

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tom, I fired your staff. I suggest you hire a new staff. 

I would really like to know how that works.  But what you are saying might not be to far from the truth. 

I don't think Tom did all this on his own.  

CDC probably shared some thoughts with Tom and with a not so subtle suggestion  made it be known that it was really,  really important that these be carried out.

We will probably never know the whole story.  

ADs probably normally try not to intervene but they're usually (and CDC is) the interface to the big money boosters.  If enough of those guys are making demands and making cash contingent upon it, the AD would have no choice but to relay those demands onto the HC.  If either fails to accommodate, those same boosters can decide maybe its the next guy up the chain who needs to be replaced.  I think this is one reason why Texas struggles to succeed with coaches bc there is so much money and a lot of powerful egos at play.  It leads to a lot of management by committee, which isn't a good thing.  CDC has the skills to manage it as long as the product on the field isn't horrible (which it is).

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Coaches and managers also make less than star and even average athletes too, I dont think its too weird.  Or also in sales management for a subordinate with a hot-shot year. 

Or, at some extent, a board member vs executive.

Sometimes the value of execution outweighs the management/oversight

Yeah I agree that it exists elsewhere in society, but it still makes for a weird dynamic with the fan fiction narratives everyone is writing about Del Conte swinging his stick around.   I don't think of professional coaches as the bosses of the players though.  To me that's more like a director/actor relationship on a film set.  They are separate jobs and if there is a power struggle it's not a given the coach automatically wins.  Maybe that's a better way to context the AD/HFC dynamic over boss/subordinate.

12 hours ago, DaysOff said:
13 hours ago, Post Oak said:
Hire Frank Wilson for something 

Would be shocked if he doesn't end up back at LSU.

Sure but make him say no and make lsu pay. They likely will since it would be a "win" vs Texas but force them to pay up across the board. These are the types of hires that Herman needs to go after in proving he's truly maturing as a HC. Go hire some confident, proven bad asses that will force you to be a leader of men vs a charlatan. 

Recent alum here...I don't ever get involved with message board stuff like this, and I know he probably doesn't care about it, but don't believe any of this BS about Mehringer.  He's a good dude and a good coach.  If I had to guess most of this is coming from a parent of one player who basically made his life miserable lol.

Y'all are quick to judge...also, I'll be giving Coach Herm a chance, have a couple of bowl rings from the man so...

HOOK EM

• Like 1

This is a broad generalization that’s not at all correct.

Not to mention, CDC has already done this himself at his last stop. He literally told Patterson he had to update his offense, which led to the Cumbie/Meachum pairing. 

Your example is different than what he stated. An AD is obviously going to tell the head coach to go fix something. But the narrative that an AD is going to go out and completely take over the hiring of specific assistants without the head coach is ridiculous. Unless you are Jerry Jones.
  • Like 1

Recent alum here...I don't ever get involved with message board stuff like this, and I know he probably doesn't care about it and will be on to a new job soon, but don't believe any of this BS about Mehringer.  He's a good dude and a good coach.  If I had to guess most of this is coming from a parent of one guy who basically made his life miserable lol.

Y'all are quick to judge...Winning is hard and I'll be giving Coach Herm a chance to right the ship, have a couple of bowl rings from the man so...

HOOK EM

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I would really like to know how that works.  But what you are saying might not be to far from the truth. 

I don't think Tom did all this on his own.  

CDC probably shared some thoughts with Tom and with a not so subtle suggestion  made it be known that it was really,  really important that these be carried out.

We will probably never know the whole story.  

Reading way too much into it.  Here’s how it goes “coach this isn’t good enough.  Change your coaches, and I’m giving you one shot, or you leave.  Tel me your plan to fix this”

20 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Sure but make him say no and make lsu pay. They likely will since it would be a "win" vs Texas but force them to pay up across the board. These are the types of hires that Herman needs to go after in proving he's truly maturing as a HC. Go hire some confident, proven bad asses that will force you to be a leader of men vs a charlatan. 

I don't disagree with your post, but the problem with Wilson is he's a RB coach. We a have one of those already, and we're not making room for another. Now, would a creative coach find a way to maximize a recruiting sorcerer like Wilson? Probably. But that isn't Herman. 

Recent alum here...I don't ever get involved with message board stuff like this, and I know he probably doesn't care about it and will be on to a new job soon, but don't believe any of this BS about Mehringer.  He's a good dude and a good coach.  If I had to guess most of this is coming from a parent of one guy who basically made his life miserable lol.
Y'all are quick to judge...Winning is hard and I'll be giving Coach Herm a chance to right the ship, have a couple of bowl rings from the man so...
HOOK EM

Interesting. Counter-point. Thanks for posting.

9 hours ago, TRing2019 said:

HOOK EM

That’s fine. You can have your opinion. This isn’t the first time Coach Meh has caused problems with his idiocy. Good riddance. 

23 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

That guy seems to have a lot of hostility towards Herman.  I wouldn't exactly trust anything he says.

Anyone know Mr Fusion ?   Former media member,  Austin resident.

spacer.png

Mr. Fusion

@itsMrFusion

Former member of the media, voice actor and podcaster. Spending my twilight years gaming, hiking and eating lots of BBQ