Matt Luke out at Ole Miss

texifornia

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

In all seriousness, Rich Rod could really do some damage at some place like Ole Miss.  And I dont mean institutional damage.

Fuck that he was a shit OC. McIntyre is the ex-HC coordinator there now who really did a good job this year. Bonus: not a huge douche.

2 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

That’s not the kind of person Matt is. I can verify weather or not that story is legit. Hang tight.

Yeah I mostly just wanted to dunk on ole Tommy again. I respect that Luke's a good dude even as I celebrate his unemployment. 

Edited by texifornia

Yeah I mostly just wanted to dunk on ole Tommy again. I respect that Luke's a good dude even as I celebrate his unemployment. 

We can agree on the fact that Tommy is a scumbag to the highest degree. I was in school when he pulled the whole, “I’ve not had a single conversation with Auburn” and then left for Auburn, ordeal.

Good thing that resulted from that was that we ended up with David Cutcliff (who should still be our coach IMO).

"Half the Team" considering transferring

Matt Luke is out as the coach of Ole Miss and a number of Rebels players apparently aren't happy about it -- to the point where they'd consider leaving the program. How many would follow through is anyone's guess. Emotions are high considering Ole Miss just pissed away its last game of the year to Mississippi State and fired its coach within one weekend. Still, one player told Nick Suss of the Mississippi Clarion-Ledger that "half the team" is talking about leaving if the entire coaching staff is dismissed. 

Rebels offensive lineman Chandler Tuitt made his comments following a team meeting with athletic director Keith Carter. "But you realize, there's no program without players," Tuitt said. "You're basing stuff off the fans. But we don't care about the fans that much. I'm going to be honest. We're here for the coach. We love football. If you don't want to support us, that's just your fault."

Center Eli Johnson added that he will be returning to Ole Miss next season, and that some teammates feel the same, but others would be willing to walk. 

"But that's not the case with a lot of guys. A lot of guys came to school here because of coach Luke," Johnson said. "They don't have any ties to Ole Miss football. That's what scares me is how are those guys going to respond to this?"

Ole Miss is coming off a disappointing 4-8 season that ended in the worst way possible. Tuitt could also be overestimating the number of players who'd actually be willing to transfer. Cooler heads may prevail by the time it's all said and done. Who Ole Miss hires to replace Luke will play a factor in the vibe of the locker room, too. 

But the comments from Tuitt and Johnson highlight a new era of player leverage in college football. It's not much leverage, but with the transfer portal as an available option, players can now dip their toes into the transfer waters to see if they like the temperature. Even if it's not half the team like Tuitt described, attrition is commonplace anytime there's coaching staff turnover. And now it's easier than ever to find a way into a new situation. 

Whether the decision to fire Luke was a good one or not, it was a business decision. All firings are. Ole Miss could have been 0-12 with players emotionally invested in Luke and the school would have had a responsibility to make a change. It's a precarious balance, but it'll be fascinating to watch over the coming months if Tuitt's assessment comes even remotely close to true. 

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, happens every time you fire a "players coach". Once the new guy comes in it'll all get smoothed over beyond a couple of diehards.

Maybe.  But seems like a unique situation considering the coach convinced those guys to play there with sanctions, bowl ban, etc.  I'm sure they thought he would have more time once sanctions lifted.

18 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If you liked your coach so much maybe don't pull the dumbest celebration of all time to lose a game. All losses are attributed to him. You guys blew it for him. And you didn't win enough games anyway. 

I'm certainly don't watch enough Ole Miss to have great perspective but unlike most SEC SEC teams they lost to 2 decent OOC teams (@Memphis and Cal) and were pretty competitive except Bama and LSU (but lit up scoreboard both games).   I'm not sure a rational Ole Miss fan should have expected much better under the circumstances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

Need to cheat better if you want to win in Mississippi

Pretty sure Ole Miss is similar to aggy.  Their best extended periods of success coincided with sanctions for cheating shortly after.  Freeze cheated like shit and they're on sanctions, what did the boosters/fans expect?  It's one of the smallest schools in the SEC splitting one of the bottom 2 population bases.  This is not a school set up for L-T success.  I understand they don't have to just accept mediocrity or worse, but they also have significant challenges to overcome to even be competitive in the SEC West.  I don't have a ton of sympathy for Luke as he was there and likely part of the problem under Freeze, but it's funny to see a school like Ole Miss run around tripping over their dicks and trying to covertly find a guy who's better at cheating than the average bear.

25 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Pretty sure Ole Miss is similar to aggy.  Their best extended periods of success coincided with sanctions for cheating shortly after.  Freeze cheated like shit and they're on sanctions, what did the boosters/fans expect?  It's one of the smallest schools in the SEC splitting one of the bottom 2 population bases.  This is not a school set up for L-T success.  I understand they don't have to just accept mediocrity or worse, but they also have significant challenges to overcome to even be competitive in the SEC West.  I don't have a ton of sympathy for Luke as he was there and likely part of the problem under Freeze, but it's funny to see a school like Ole Miss run around tripping over their dicks and trying to covertly find a guy who's better at cheating than the average bear.

They at least want Cutcliffe-ian bowl eligible respectability. Luke wasn't that dude.

25 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They at least want Cutcliffe-ian bowl eligible respectability. Luke wasn't that dude.

They'll have a chance at a mesmerizing 6-6 season next year, so progress.... I guess.  Although they probably start 1-4.  Again, I have little sympathy for Luke, it's just funny to see them wander the desert until they can find their next cheating messiah.

No, we’re nothing like aggy, you fucking moron.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1