Pollen: Texas ongoing thread

miguelito

Mountain Cedar showed up yesterday, 12/1/19, at a count of 90.  That's considered "low."  It's not on the count today.

I'll be using the counts from San Antonio, but feel free to use your own local counts.  San Antonio is in the bullseye of where the cedar pollen gets blown.  That's the price we pay for not being Houston or Dallas.

Here's the handy reference chart of the last 3 years so you can impress your friends and family:

2019-02-20-081524.jpg

Woke up this morning with itchy eyes. I've been miserable since going out for lunch earlier this afternoon - sneezing, hacking, etc.

Checked the pollen counts on KVUE and KXAN. Both of them show cedar in the low level, but KXAN shows the last few days and, apparently, today is the first day that they've picked it up.

Now, I get to feel like I'm constantly sick for the next three months. Yay!

Our place out near Junction has cedars on it that are already pretty yellow and they have a long way to go still. They are generally 2-3 weeks ahead of what I see down around Austin, but have been a decent indicator of what is to come.  I have a feeling this will be a very tough season. Buckle up.

Fuck mountain cedar.

start of the season, north winds....

ELbdXhWWkAAa5Mo?format=jpg&name=small

And what's weird/stupid, is that 810 is considered high.  But we will have counts above 20,000.  I guess the levels are based on when people will be affected by the pollen, as opposed to a scale of the actual count range.  In any case, it don't make a shit, the number is the important part.

• 2 weeks later...

So my homegirl said her cedar allergies are hella bad this year. But she didn’t really get allergies until a couple years ago (around the time she had her first kid). But my other friend, who is also allergic to cedar, said he ain’t really had shit this year and doesn’t take anything for it. Is That possible or are there different kinds of cedar, etc? I’m allergic during other times of the year so never really paid attention to cedar stuff. 

https://www.kvue.com/article/weather/allergy-forecast/allergy-alert-cedar-pollen-highest-recorded-this-season/269-3247feb8-9aff-4bed-9d0d-7ed695c46756

After recording the highest count of cedar pollen so far this season on Sunday at 3,923 grains per cubic meter (gr/m3), cedar was nearly as high on Monday at 3,663 gr/m3. Cedar pollen count is slowly lowering coming in at 2,730 gr/m3 on Tuesday.

Cedar is considered high when it reaches over 1,000 gr/m3. The last time cedar pollen was this high in Austin was on Christmas Eve 2018, when KVUE recorded cedar at 5,488 gr/m3.

Cedar pollen is expected to remain in the high count on Tuesday, then decrease through Thursday thanks to rain chances on New Year's Day. A drier airmass and a front on Friday will likely increase the pollen once again through the weekend.

spacer.png