Pollen: Texas ongoing thread

miguelito

In the classic 1982 movie E.T.: The Extraterrestrial, after Elliott first sees E.T., he comes into the house to warn other people not to go outside.  He says the line, "Nobody go out there."

If you look closely, when he delivers this line, one of the other actors, also a kid, lip-syncs the line with him.  "Nobody go out there."

Anyway, today's count is 26,760.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, miguelito said:

In the classic 1982 movie E.T.: The Extraterrestrial, after Elliott first sees E.T., he comes into the house to warn other people not to go outside.  He says the line, "Nobody go out there."

If you look closely, when he delivers this line, one of the other actors, also a kid, lip-syncs the line with him.  "Nobody go out there."

Anyway, today's count is 26,760.

It feels like it is at least 27,000 out there

I woke up today and thought it was foggy until I put my contacts in. That was pollen. The boy started drops four years ago or we'd never been able to move to the hill country. He walked around like an influenza infected zombie on his UT, UTSA, and TX state visits.

17 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

You arrogant ass - you've killed us!

28,160 today.

And with a front coming in tomorrow, and no real rain in sight, we're going to have high counts for a while.  I've been keeping a total count (every day added up) for the last 4 seasons, and we're only about 76,000 particles behind the 2017-2018 season, which was the highest total in that span.  And we're about 8,000 behind a running average of the 4 years.  So this is certainly a worse than normal season.  El Nino?  La Nina?  El Chupacabra?

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

28,160 today.

And with a front coming in tomorrow, and no real rain in sight, we're going to have high counts for a while.  I've been keeping a total count (every day added up) for the last 4 seasons, and we're only about 76,000 particles behind the 2017-2018 season, which was the highest total in that span.  And we're about 8,000 behind a running average of the 4 years.  So this is certainly a worse than normal season.  El Nino?  La Nina?  El Chupacabra?

19 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

KXAN home page today. FML.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

28,160 today.

It's ashei my dude.

52 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

Time for my annual question.....why don't we cut all of these water thieves down?!!!!!  What purpose are they serving for the environment.  Aren't they considered an invasive species?

We drove off their natural predator, the cedar chopper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nonbryan said:

Time for my annual question.....why don't we cut all of these water thieves down?!!!!!  What purpose are they serving for the environment.  Aren't they considered an invasive species?

There's kind of a lot of them, but by all means, go for it. If you'd started cutting whenever you first began posing your "annual question," maybe we'd only be at 27,638 today instead of 27,639

Edited by SquishMitten

On 1/5/2020 at 5:05 PM, immamac said:

My new infant is getting fucked by pollen. Poor guy can't clear his own nose yet we are having to suck his boogers out once ever 2-3 hours. 

Baby Vicks is good stuff. Also, check out the Nosefrida for clearing his nose. It's far better than the bulb suction thing.

For adults, if y'all haven't used the Puffs tissues that have Vicks in them, definitely get some. They are a godsend.

2 minutes ago, austingirl said:

Baby Vicks is good stuff. Also, check out the Nosefrida for clearing his nose. It's far better than the bulb suction thing.

For adults, if y'all haven't used the Puffs tissues that have Vicks in them, definitely get some. They are a godsend.

Is that the thing where you literally suck the boogers out with your mouth? Cuz we have that thing. Far superior to bulb. He's on baby vicks train too. 

I flew to Raleigh today for work and my God no pollen it's amazing. 

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Is that the thing where you literally suck the boogers out with your mouth? Cuz we have that thing. Far superior to bulb. He's on baby vicks train too. 

I flew to Raleigh today for work and my God no pollen it's amazing. 

Yep, that's the one. 

It's awful today and it's going to get worse when that front moves through. Can't wait.

I doubled up on 24 hr Zyrtec this morning -- I've been taking one every morning for about two weeks to build up in my system in preparation for this shit, but it's only doing so much. I've also been taking some prescription nose spray crap twice a day for a few days now. I usually neti pot right beforehand to clear the decks and make sure the nose spray shit has a clean shot at actually doing something. Then benadryl at night, which also helps with sleep. And avoiding the outdoors as much as possible, which is completely frustrating with how nice the weather has been. That's one of the most aggravating parts about this time of year -- the better the weather is, the worse I feel. Out of everything, for some reason I think the neti pot is the most effective or at least offers the most immediate relief. 

Eat a dick cedar, you fat fucking retard.

8 hours ago, Deej said:

Yep, these are the guys that we need to bring back to Austin!  God bless those beautiful men!

I remember the story of the Church's Chicken founder who cleared all of the Cedar trees off of his ranch, and a once waterless, desolate ranch, was flowing with running streams and ponds.  I really don't understand why in an era where water conservation is such a hot topic,  we aren't aiming to rid ourselves of these water hogs.

https://bambergerranch.org/our-story

• Like 2

Here is a short video I found on the Selah ranch that cut down the cedar.  Looks like after they cut down the cedar, they then planted grass, and BOOM...They water bubbled up from the ground, like a bubbling, crude!  Water that is, clear sweet water!  Texas, tea!  Sounds like a hell of a plan!  Let's do it!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/video/shorts/924773443513/

• Like 1

They have to be using different units of measurement, right? Whatever it is at today and yesterday, it is fucking killing me. One would think that after 37 years of living in the area, you would build up a tolerance but it just seems to be getting worse every year. 

None of the counts ever have a unit/label.  I think the standard is grams (or grains) per cubic meter.  If this were a school project, the weather people would get points deducted for not showing the units. 

Of course, one time I got in trouble for showing my unit, but that's a story for another time.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 7:25 PM, austingirl said:

This weekend has been the worst so far because of Satan's pollen. I'm sneezing every 5 minutes. Sparkling water helps "scratch" my itchy throat. Also, beer.

Prolly not going to make you feel any better to know this but it's killing me too. Shit's wack, yo.

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

They have to be using different units of measurement, right? Whatever it is at today and yesterday, it is fucking killing me. One would think that after 37 years of living in the area, you would build up a tolerance but it just seems to be getting worse every year. 

36 minutes ago, miguelito said:

None of the counts ever have a unit/label.  I think the standard is grams (or grains) per cubic meter.  If this were a school project, the weather people would get points deducted for not showing the units. 

Of course, one time I got in trouble for showing my unit, but that's a story for another time.

KXAN may not always put the unit in their charts but they specify it in their writeups. This is from today.

Our allergy expert partners at Allergy & Asthma Center of Georgetown counted 27,639 grains per cubic meter of air Monday morning. That is among the highest counts in the Austin metro area since 32,000 grains were measured in the mid-1990s. The previous highest count so far this winter was close to 3,800 grains per cubic meter.

Tuesday morning’s count shows another rare reading of 21,058 grains per cubic meter of air.