Pollen: Texas ongoing thread

miguelito

I'm normally not affected by the cedar, but maybe it's my age, or the shear volume of it, but made me feel like shit when I took my dog out for about 25 minutes.  Felt fine a few minutes after I came back in.  I was out for like 3 or 4 hours Saturday riding my bike and didn't feel a thing. 

If that 20 minutes of misery was how some of you feel all day... Well shit.

39 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Well I have my first documented case of Cedar Fever Shits caused by the massive amount of snot draining into my digestive system. I am literally crapping out cedar pollen infused snot and it burns my b-hole in a way I cant describe. 

Fucking kill me now. 

I think I saw "Cedar Pollen-Infused Snot" play at Raoul's back in the day.  They were loud.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The past two mornings have consisted of standing above the sink for 20-30 minutes coughing up dime-sized phlegm hard as rocks.  Real fun stuff.  The sunrise looked incredible through the pollen haze this AM though.  Silver lining I suppose.

@UnivTex34- what part of town was your picture taken?  I can't make sense of it at all.

2 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

The past two mornings have consisted of standing above the sink for 20-30 minutes coughing up dime-sized phlegm hard as rocks.  Real fun stuff.  The sunrise looked incredible through the pollen haze this AM though.  Silver lining I suppose.

@UnivTex34- what part of town was your picture taken?  I can't make sense of it at all.

I think that's Kocurek Elementary and Slaughter Lane in the foreground.

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

14,580.  We REALLY need some rain to wash this shit out, if even for a day or so.  It's looking like the rain event tomorrow will be mostly east of the cedar forests and San Antonio.  And after that, it's never going to rain again.

Sorry for your losses.  So, in theory, we are supposed to get rain and high winds tomorrow.  Could those winds put a lot more pollen in the air, and the rain put it on the ground/gutter/sewer/creek/etc.?  

Because every time something like this happens, everybody says "oh, this will help prep another round of pollen in a few days!"  

anyways,

spacer.png

With the fog this week, cedar is down from where it was, but back up to 2,970.  Of course, with the fog this week, MOLD is up, which is probably why I have a headache.

Cedar will probably stay 'low' for a while, with an occasional spike as fronts move through.  I bet we'll have mostly days in the 2000-5000 range, with 2 more days above 15,000.

Then oak season begins!

Well, the rain finally kicked in, and cedar is at a Blutarsky-level 0.0.

But mold is 11,620.

FYI over the last 3 years, the last day of the season with a cedar count has been Feb 16, Feb 19, and Feb 8.  It always tapers down to that point, but we have a ways to go still.  :(

Yeah, too quiet

No jinx.  The rain last week seemed to help keep cedar down, and mold really fucking high.  Cedar was back up to 2,500 today (in San Antonio).  And now we're just 1,100 shy of 300,000 for the season.  I think we'll get there, in little bits at a time. 

This is also the highest season in recorded history (at least my records, which go back 4 years). 

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

No jinx.  The rain last week seemed to help keep cedar down, and mold really fucking high.  Cedar was back up to 2,500 today (in San Antonio).  And now we're just 1,100 shy of 300,000 for the season.  I think we'll get there, in little bits at a time. 

I saw something today that ash was sky high today, first time this year on their 30 day history chart.  Didn't see Ash on the other 3 allergy websites I checked, so could be bogus.  FWIW

This is also the highest season in recorded history (at least my records, which go back 4 years). 

Media climatologist?

• 3 weeks later...

Good news or bad new first?

Good: I think cedar is officially done for the season.  This year had a pretty high total count.

Bad: Oak showed up on the count today.  It's low, at 10, and shouldn't spike much for a few more weeks. 

(Ugly?  I guess mold.  It's always mold season here.)

I'll try to post my neat little graphs later, but for now, just keep taking whatever drugs you're on.

Here is the final chart through the 2019-2020 Mountain Cedar season.

This season's line is the yellow one.  Last year (green) there was a big early push; 2017-2018 (red) had a series of high spikes.  This year was one big ass blast for a few weeks solid, without much relief, and the highest total count of these 4 years. 

Cedar2020.jpg

So here's what's next, and what has already started showing up: Oak.  No high numbers yet, but "you can't stop what's coming.  It ain't all waiting on you.  That's vanity."

Oak2019.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Oak has been 600, 700 last couple of days.  I think 700 is considered "high", and I can feel it, but we'll be over 30,000 in a few weeks.  I'm curious to see the overlap of symptoms/shared misery/panic between this and Corona virus. 

I woke up yesterday morning completely congested and was coughing pretty bad, so I decided to "work from home" out of an "abundance of caution" even though I was 99% sure it was just allergies. Still, I figured my coworkers wouldn't appreciate seeing and hearing me sneezing and hacking from across the room.

24 minutes ago, futureman said:

anyone else getting railed by pollen today?

Yes, took my son on a little walk so he could fish in Shoal Creek (spotted a small bass there below the Randall’s on 38th, and had a slight cough just as some joggers went by.   I think I gave them a case of whiplash.