Pollen: Texas ongoing thread

miguelito

At this point, Texas officials should consider a shelter in place just for the oak pollen for the next few weeks.  

Check out the dark blue line on the chart; it is following the yellow and green lines of the last 2 years, as opposed to the previous 2 years.  Maybe it was El Nino, I don't know. 

Anyway, we're fucked.

2020-03-20-090525.jpg

13 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

My spouse had to use his inhaler last night. I'm really worried about his lungs since he is required to go to work and we have positive community spread COVID cases. I would like to reboot 2020 please.

It's bad for sure.  I have developed cedar, ragweed, and now oak allergies.  The only relief I get is when temps are 97+.  Sigh

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

My spouse had to use his inhaler last night. I'm really worried about his lungs since he is required to go to work and we have positive community spread COVID cases. I would like to reboot 2020 please.

The positive side to allergies is that people with allergies have very active immune systems.  I rotate clariten and zyrtec every 12 hours and do flonase at night so I can sleep.  It works. 

My spouse has had them for years and Texas is undoubtedly the worst for them. I do the yard work so he doesn't have to suffer out there, and when I can't do it any longer we will use a service. (It's a good leg and arm workout.) He doesn't complain, but boy howdy I do NOT know how he is able to keep a coherent thought in his head when every one of my gray cells is probably covered in a pale green dusting of pollen.

2 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Nothing like a sinus infection brought on by this shit, and the resulting fever/cough/etc. to get your mind spinning into some dark places these days.

I’m right there with you, I was convinced I had the corona last night. My nose was so stopped up that I was having trouble tasting and smelling food. Watching everyone else enjoy the cookies that my wife baked last night was a real low point for me. 

11 hours ago, miguelito said:

Don't forget sandpaper on the inside of your eyelids.

I have a covid test pending so I'm only leaving my apartment for a couple of minutes a day to let the dog out and do his thing. This shit hits within 30 seconds of going outdoors. Lasts for hours. Worse than any of the flu-like symptoms I've had thus far. Fuck this shit.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:03 PM, gmr548 said:

This shit hits within 30 seconds of going outdoors. Lasts for hours.

Man, this is the truth right here.  If only the allergy drugs were that good.  "Acts immediately!!  Long-lasting!!!"

3rd day in a row of over 20,000. 

More stats, because I know you like them.

The last 5 days have all been above 23,000.  The 5-day total is over 136,000.  Yearly totals the last few years have been between 170,000 and 212,000.  We are at 166,600 for the year so far, with 2-3 weeks to go. 

Here's a graph of this year's count, projected to the end of the season:

depositphotos_21160499-stock-photo-cardi

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm in San Antonio, so I use KSAT's weather page or twitter.  Sometimes I have to go to WOAI's page.  I don't know what the original source is.  It used to be Dr Ratner, but he died. 

https://twitter.com/ksatweather?lang=en

But KSAT has my favorite meteorologists.

DCTsK6hVwAIREPi.jpg

Edited by miguelito
  • Like 1

I'm sniffling like my dog just died.  This shit is crushing me.  

4 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I'm in San Antonio, so I use KSAT's weather page or twitter.  Sometimes I have to go to WOAI's page.  I don't know what the original source is.  It used to be Dr Ratner, but he died. 

https://twitter.com/ksatweather?lang=en

But KSAT has my favorite meteorologists.

DCTsK6hVwAIREPi.jpg

that hurricane is a category 10

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Yesterday was the first day in 10 days that my back was well enough to let me sit somewhat comfortably. I made the mistake of using that as an excuse to hang out on the patio for 4 hours. Kill me.

Right? That's the worst part. Cedar ends, the weather gets gorgeous, and we still can't enjoy our decks and patios without suffering.

• 1 month later...

Oak is done, if you haven't noticed.  Mold and grass and some other trees are taking over, but nothing like the mighty oak. 

The total count was less than last year, but above average over the last 5 years.  2020 had the highest single day count in the last 5 years, at 30,900.

Here's the final chart.  You can see that this year was really one big ass blast in the middle, and then a sharp drop to modest levels:

Oak2020.jpg

See you all in ragweed season, if my sinus infection or the corona don't kill us all first.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I am having a hell of a time today - constantly watering eyes, stuffiness, sneezing. KVUE says mold is high which is just a bitch since we haven't even gotten the benefit of rain lately.

As a lifelong allergy sufferer, I can relate...could even be considered a canary in the coal mine. It started on Monday for me: sinus headache, congestion, sneezing, itchy/watery eyes.

• Hook 'Em 1