Pollen: Texas ongoing thread

miguelito

56 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Wear a mask.

What r u afraid of a little China pollen ya pansy.  Let me tell you something.  Ain't no China pollen gonna stop us from being the most kickass state in the most kickass nation in the world.  Now them Chicoms may think they can all get us wearing masks with their manufactured pollen, but they ain't ever met up with no Texas boys I guess.  

No, today's count is worse.  The first 2 numbers are 13.  I won't tell you what the last 3 numbers are, but you can do the math.
Rough 'forecasts' can be made based on amount of sun, winds, lack of rain, and whatever plans you have for the day.  Today and tomorrow should be bad.  Wear a mask.

I’m going to try some googles, too... because my fucking eyes won’t stop burning on top of everything else.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Has not been fun at all. Was watching a movie with a friend last night and my eyes were watering so bad she thought I was some sentimental sod. 

I can only imagine how awkward it was later when you went down on her.

"No, no, really, the smell's fine."

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, swraith said:

today wasn't too bad.  down to half the allergy meds I was taking.  but in full disclosure...I haven't left the house in like 4 days....ugh.

that's the part that's so depressing... the weather has been gorgeous but go in the backyard for 10 minutes and it takes an hour to stop the waterworks 😡

i really don't know why this just started for me this year 😕

It's bad right now, here in Granbury. I have been taking Claritin and Zyrtec, alternating them every two weeks, on a daily basis for about 5 years, and it still doesn't knock out the symptoms totally. Flonase every night before bed to be able to sleep until morning helps.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

FYI, the highest number in the last 5 years was on January 26, 2018 with 32,920.  So we're not out of the woods yet.

However, most years the counts are well over the hump by now and in a slow taper down to zero. 

However, I still see lots of yellow/orange in the trees around my house. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 12:03 PM, texhorn said:

Cedar is high again. Make it stop!!!

Veteran cedar sufferer here. Have had it since the 80s before they even knew what it was. Yesterday was likely the last high day and it’s probably all good from here on. I personally didn’t feel anything yesterday but I’ve been on Flonase since mid December so that’s probably in part why. 

After 30 plus years I’ve finally this year I think figured out the formula to beating this terrible, evil pollen. If you send me 10 bucks I’ll email it to you. Or you can wait until I get around to posting it and get it for free. 

• 2 weeks later...

We were in a deep freeze for a goddamn week and then the day after it warms up I got itchy eyes and started sneezing like a mofo. Looks like cedar was low today but most places weren't recording counts for the last week, so I'm guessing it was a bit of cedar yesterday? I mean, come the fuck on. 

We were in a deep freeze for a goddamn week and then the day after it warms up I got itchy eyes and started sneezing like a mofo. Looks like cedar was low today but most places weren't recording counts for the last week, so I'm guessing it was a bit of cedar yesterday? I mean, come the fuck on. 

Same here.

22 hours ago, texhorn said:

On the bright side, cedar is low?

Not so fast, sports fans!

I think that frozen week just put things on hold.  Cedar is still around, and is at 420 today (San Antonio).  In the 5 years I've been recording the counts, this is the latest appearance of Cedar.   The previous last-date was 2/25/18, and before that it was 2/19/18.  Normally, we *should* be done with cedar by now, with a brief reprieve before oak blasts us.

FYI, the earliest appearance of Oak has been 2/20 in both 2018 and 2020. 

"And miles to go before I breathe.

And miles to go before I breathe."

Here's this year's updated cedar chart, which might not be finished yet:

Cedar2021-02-26.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yep, we're thick into Oak season.  It is a little behind schedule, but it's definitely picking up now.  We've had several days of 5-digit counts, as if you couldn't tell. 

I kind of wish Frankie would do one of his ALERTS for high pollen counts.  "WEAR YOUR MASKS!  WEAR EYE PROTECTION!  TAKE YOUR DRUGS!  STOCK UP ON DR PEPPER!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Yep, we're thick into Oak season.  It is a little behind schedule, but it's definitely picking up now.  We've had several days of 5-digit counts, as if you couldn't tell. 

I kind of wish Frankie would do one of his ALERTS for high pollen counts.  "WEAR YOUR MASKS!  WEAR EYE PROTECTION!  TAKE YOUR DRUGS!  STOCK UP ON DR PEPPER!"

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bd3kn93z737jb9brdvnc

it's been bad this week for sure

• Like 1

16,840 today.  The last 4 days, and 6 of the last 7, have been over 10,000. 

Our peak is late this year, and we're in it now.  But our total for the season is only about 2/3 of the 'normal' number.  So we could still have 2-3 weeks of pretty high numbers (2k-5k or more).

Keep taking those drugs!  And allergy medicine, too!

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I mulched the yard yesterday. That was a mistake. One eye almost died 

That's what children are for. Lock them outside until they finish, then hose them off before you let them back inside. 

Oak trees shitting yellow everywhere but as an added bonus the cankerworms stick to everything. Great couch day
It's nothing like wormpacolypse a few years ago but it's still a pretty bad year for those fuckers