Actual Coaching Staff Developments

RomaVicta

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

It is a symptom of the illness of being a Texas fan that I googled this to see if "ttt" means anything.

I'm guessing it's not "Trouble In Terrorist Town" but one never knows.

Tom's Taste-Tester

Some Longhorn fans have taken things a little too far, and so Tom had to make a new hire.

(Also posted on the 2020 coaches thread.)

LA Times / USC offers offensive coordinator Graham Harrell a new contract

Spoiler

After making the decision to retain its head football coach, USC has made a move to hold onto offensive coordinator Graham Harrell, whose successful debut with the Trojans has made him one of the most coveted coaches on the college carousel.
USC offered Harrell a new contract on Friday, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person spoke on the condition on anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.
It’s up to Harrell to decide if he’d like to continue coaching at USC, where he required just one season to transform a moribund offense into one of the nation’s most explosive attacks.
The offer, which is believed to include a sizable raise, comes soon after Harrell, a Texas native, interviewed for the same job at Texas. The details of the offer were unclear on Friday, but as Texas looms, USC is attempting to move swiftly to secure Harrell.
That urgency became clear quickly after new athletic director Mike Bohn announced the decision to retain Clay Helton on Wednesday. In a sit-down with reporters, soon after the announcement, Bohn offered impromptu praise of Harrell, calling his Air Raid offense “impressive by any standard.”
Maintaining that standard is expected to cost USC significantly. Bohn promised a “redoubled commitment to tools, resources and access to things that are going to help them be successful.”

Many within and around the program believe that’s a price worth paying. Harrell was hired in January, after Kliff Kingsbury abruptly departed to become the coach of the NFL’s Arizona Cardinals. Harrell quickly earned plaudits from players and coaches, as his offense radically simplified the scheme USC had run the season before.
The Trojans have the fifth-most proficient passing attack in the nation behind the unexpected rise of Kedon Slovis, who arrived at USC as an overlooked three-star recruit. Under Harrell’s watch, Slovis stepped in for injured quarterback JT Daniels and emerged as one of the best young passers in college football, throwing for 3,242 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Max Slovis, Kedon’s father, said this week that Harrell was one of “the single most influential people in Kedon’s growth.”

33 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I have a gut feeling that if we land Harrell, we will be getting our own version of Lincoln Riley.  When Herman inevitably gets shitcanned, Harrell takes over and away we go.  To me I'm just getting those vibes the more I read about the guy.

That doesn’t make any sense.

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
It’s chronic gas. Get that checked out.

52 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It also makes no sense.  If he’s really that good, then we will do well, and Herman will not get shitcanned.  If Herman gets shitcanned, it means the offense probably wasn’t good enough.  

lincoln got stoops fired.  you didn’t know that?

11 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

I have a gut feeling that if we land Harrell, we will be getting our own version of Lincoln Riley.  When Herman inevitably gets shitcanned, Harrell takes over and away we go.  To me I'm just getting those vibes the more I read about the guy.

When it comes to trusting your gut, you may want to look into adapting the George Costanza approach...

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Any programs beating down Chris Ash’s door given he’s a leading candidate for our DC position and thus should be a highly sought after coach...?

I hear there are several insurance companies and car warranty providers who are burning up his phone lines.

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Any programs beating down Chris Ash’s door given he’s a leading candidate for our DC position and thus should be a highly sought after coach...?

Saw articles connecting him to the VT job and Washington St. 

Though if the Ash to Texas thing is as much a fait accompli as we are to believe - it might make sense that no one else would be looking too hard at him. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I just read Odom is “the clear favorite” to replace Norvell at Memphis.

From SI:

A source close to the Memphis football program told Sports Illustrated Odom is the clear top candidate to replace Mike Norvell (as reported earlier by multiple outlets, Norvell is leaving to take over at Florida State). The source also stated that Odom has the support of several influential Memphis boosters, so I’d be stunned if an announcement wasn’t coming in the very near future. 

And, please, no more tired Mangino is fat material. If you think, "Ya know, I laughed at the buffet references the last ten times they appeared. I think I'll post one of my own!" For the love of God, think again. Something fresh involving the eclipse of the setting sun or other pithy astronomical references to gravity would, as always, be welcomed and lauded by all.  I write this not as a thread fascista. I write as a humble contributor.

Edited by RomaVicta

13 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Saw articles connecting him to the VT job and Washington St. 

Though if the Ash to Texas thing is as much a fait accompli as we are to believe - it might make sense that no one else would be looking too hard at him. 

his agent was probably floating it out there.  and agree that no one is going to get into a bidding war for Chris fucking Ash.

11 hours ago, alphahorn said:

I don't recall anyone suggesting Mangino was fat (that would be insensitive), just hungry.

Also, I get the feeling Graham ain't coming

I think we’re 50/50 on Graham. He is really hot right now and might take a G5 HC or might decided to stick out one more year in LA and go for a P5 HC position. I wouldn’t be disappointed in getting Lashlee and Samples. Lashlee and Hand are a good fit together plus I think he may be in the spot Harrell was at North Texas. A season or two here and then getting HC offers. 

Chip Brown / Horns 247 / The latest (on the coaching search) - Monday, 12:00 pm

Spoiler

Monday, 12 pm - As we head into Week 2 of Tom Herman’s search for two new coordinators and two receivers coaches, here’s where things stand …

Former Rutgers coach Chris Ash, the co-defensive coordinator at Ohio State on the Buckeyes’ 2014 national title team with Herman, is a leading candidate (if not THE leading candidate) to replace Todd Orlando.

Herman and Ash have talked about the possibility of Ash becoming Texas’ next defensive coordinator (although Ash hasn’t been in Austin to formally interview and wouldn’t need to because he and Herman are so close, sources said).

Ash, however, is interested in seeing if current Ohio State defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley ends up getting the Boston College head-coaching job, sources said. If so, Ash might be in the mix to return to Ohio State, sources said.

Indications are the Boston College coaching search could wrap up this week.

We’ve reported from the beginning that Texas strength coach Yancy McKnight is doing Herman’s advance work - contacting candidates and gauging their interest - and that McKnight contacted Todd Graham as a defensive coordinator candidate.

Graham, a former head coach at Rice, Tulsa and Arizona State, hired McKnight at Rice in 2006. Sources said Graham has interviewed for the vacant New Mexico head-coaching job.

We’ve also heard former Missouri coach Barry Odom as a possible DC candidate, but Odom might be the leading candidate to take over the defense at Virginia Tech under Justin Fuente.

Utah defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley, a Broyles Award finalist this year whom Texas will face in the Alamo Bowl, has also been a name of interest. But sources have indicated Scalley, a devout Mormon who teaches the Latter-day Saints program to Utah football players in addition to serving as DC, is very comfortable at Utah.

The Week 1 main target of Herman’s offensive coordinator search - USC’s Graham Harrell - met with Herman last Wednesday in Houston, according to sources, and the two talked about the possibility of Harrell joining the Texas staff, sources said.

Sources indicated financial parameters of the job (three years guaranteed at roughly $6 million) were discussed and even the possibility of UT’s new offensive coordinator installing his offense during bowl practices.

But Harrell, who interviewed for the UTSA head-coaching job in Dallas last Monday, sources told Horns247, has returned to Los Angeles and continues to recruit for USC, where it’s been announced Clay Helton will remain the coach.

Sources said Harrell has a close relationship with Helton and has enjoyed the autonomy Helton afforded him in their first season together.

Sources said the reason nothing has been officially announced about Harrell’s future because he’s waiting to see if any other head-coaching job opportunities might come open that he would interview for. (Chip Brown)

10 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Former Rutgers coach Chris Ash, the co-defensive coordinator at Ohio State on the Buckeyes’ 2014 national title team with Herman, is a leading candidate (if not THE leading candidate) to replace Todd Orlando.

Herman and Ash have talked about the possibility of Ash becoming Texas’ next defensive coordinator (although Ash hasn’t been in Austin to formally interview and wouldn’t need to because he and Herman are so close, sources said).

Ash, however, is interested in seeing if current Ohio State defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley ends up getting the Boston College head-coaching job, sources said. If so, Ash might be in the mix to return to Ohio State, sources said.

Indications are the Boston College coaching search could wrap up this week.

We’ve reported from the beginning that Texas strength coach Yancy McKnight is doing Herman’s advance work - contacting candidates and gauging their interest - and that McKnight contacted Todd Graham as a defensive coordinator candidate.

Graham, a former head coach at Rice, Tulsa and Arizona State, hired McKnight at Rice in 2006. Sources said Graham has interviewed for the vacant New Mexico head-coaching job.

This folks is not journalism. This is propoganda. 

He starts by saying Ash is a possibility, but might take the Ohio State DC job that isn't open. (guy everyone doesn't want might be too good for Texas and take tOSU DC job)

He then drops Todd Fucking Graham on the reader to scare the reader. It must be true. The strenght coach called him because of Rice (holy shit, we're going to get stuck with Todd Graham)

Intended Result: Reader thinks, wait, we should just hire Cris Ash. He's so much better than Graham. What are we waiting fo, hire Cris Ash!!!

• Like 1

A few tidbits from the other thread. Anybody is welcome to peruse that thread and transfer actual data. As of 10:24am, the last three "hot" pages include these morsels, the wearing out of a joke about Ash being David Ash, and now song lyrics. I thank them for keeping their waiting jabber over there. Truly.

And thanks to Hiphopoppotamus for this:

A closer look at Odom.

• Like 1

I heard on the Horn radio here in Austin that Beck is quite possibly going to take the head coaching job at Lamar University. I don't think anyone expected him to hang around here in a diminished role, but it's actually a development. He seems like a good guy. I wish him success.

On the other thread, a tweet announces that UNLV has hired an HC. This news is believed to possibly impact Harrell's decision process to where he will choose whether to leave USC or stay as an OC.

On 12/9/2019 at 12:17 PM, Neonmoon said:

This folks is not journalism. This is propoganda. 

He starts by saying Ash is a possibility, but might take the Ohio State DC job that isn't open. (guy everyone doesn't want might be too good for Texas and take tOSU DC job)

He then drops Todd Fucking Graham on the reader to scare the reader. It must be true. The strenght coach called him because of Rice (holy shit, we're going to get stuck with Todd Graham)

Intended Result: Reader thinks, wait, we should just hire Cris Ash. He's so much better than Graham. What are we waiting fo, hire Cris Ash!!!

Sources.....  Any time I see a story were sources are referred to several  times, I just assume the crap is just made up.

• Like 1