Chris Petersen stepping down at Washington

mdmost

I think we are starting to see a swing back to coaches quitting earlier and going into adminstration like they used to do in the 70's and 80's on a more frequent basis. All the guys that have been HC's since their 30's are probably getting good and sick of this shit, and don't need the money 

• Like 2

Wouldn’t this really provide one more reason to push USC to go axe Helton for Urban? The loss of Peterson will make UW weaker and the entire conference is down enough that a splash hire could push USC back in front in what looks to be an upcoming downturn in big name coaches for the conference.

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm not saying he was pushed out. Maybe he was ready to step down and didn't want UW to lose Jimmy Lake to someone else. He was going to get lots of interest for head coaching jobs this offseason. 

Agree.  Probably a lot like the Stoops/Riley handoff.  Not forced but mutual agreement that it's time.

Just now, Laxtonto said:

Wouldn’t this really provide one more reason to push USC to go axe Helton for Urban? The loss of Peterson will make UW weaker and the entire conference is down enough that a splash hire could push USC back in front in what looks to be an upcoming downturn in big name coaches for the conference.

USC doesn't think in those terms I would imagine, especially since they are in different divisions.

"It has been a privilege and a professional dream fulfilled to be part of this world-class institution," Petersen said. "I will forever be grateful, honored and humbled to have had the opportunity to coach our fine young men on Montlake for these past six seasons. I thank each of them, as well as our coaches and administrative staff for the incredible commitment they've made to Husky football during my tenure."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kiro7.com/amp/news/local/huskies-head-football-coach-chris-petersen-stepping-down/1014727694

"It has been a privilege and a professional dream fulfilled to be part of this world-class institution," Petersen said. "I will forever be grateful, honored and humbled to have had the opportunity to coach our fine young men on Montlake for these past six seasons. I thank each of them, as well as our coaches and administrative staff for the incredible commitment they've made to Husky football during my tenure."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kiro7.com/amp/news/local/huskies-head-football-coach-chris-petersen-stepping-down/1014727694

He mentions recharge too, so hopefully nothing health related with him or family.

https://twitter.com/ktvbsportsguy/status/1201578853375844352?s=21

Just now, Longboard Horn said:

Apparently rumors are that Chris will become the new assistant AD

He would make a great AD. He is pretty much universally loved among boosters, coaches,  players, co workers, opponents, etc. Everything I've heard is he really is just as good of a guy as comes across. 

Of course, now that I post that it will probably come out he killed 5 hookers at Boise. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

If usc actually believes they can hire Meyer (and are ok with the baggage) nothing happening at uw or any other program would likely impact their decision.

Petersen will remain on staff until after the Huskies' bowl game. 

He is stepping down with a career record of 146-38 after eight seasons at Boise State and six years at UW. In his time at UW, Petersen led the Huskies to two Pac-12 Championships, the 2016 playoffs and three consecutive New Years Six bowl games, a press release stated. 

That’s a damn impressive overall record so far. If he just needs to be recharged Austin has lots to offer him. No state income tax. Lower altitudes. Better overall weather. Lots of self help groups and yoga and paddle boarding and shit like that. He should visit the campus and check it out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pops said:

He is pretty much universally loved among boosters, coaches,  players, co workers, opponents, etc. Everything I've heard is he really is just as good of a guy as comes across. 

This.  My long-time Husky friends were starting to compare Petersen with Don James, which used to be illegal in the state.

• Like 2

He would make a great AD. He is pretty much universally loved among boosters, coaches,  players, co workers, opponents, etc. Everything I've heard is he really is just as good of a guy as comes across. 
Of course, now that I post that it will probably come out he killed 5 hookers at Boise. 

We don’t have any hookers in Boise, only a bunch of Mormons. And our stripclubs can’t even go topless. It’s really fucking lame.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

We don’t have any hookers in Boise, only a bunch of Mormons. And our stripclubs can’t even go topless. It’s really fucking lame.

I've spent enough nights at humpin Hannah's to dispute that assertion.