Chris Petersen stepping down at Washington

mdmost

32 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I think we are starting to see a swing back to coaches quitting earlier and going into adminstration like they used to do in the 70's and 80's on a more frequent basis. All the guys that have been HC's since their 30's are probably getting good and sick of this shit, and don't need the money 

Winner, winner.

A guy like Chris Petersen should be set financially for life if he played his cards halfway decent.  Why put up with the bullshit, stress, etc going forward?

I'll just say that we are shocked.  Stupid texts won't stop coming in (UW season ticket holder).

Petersen's the kind of guy you actually run into at the grocery store (we don't have HEBs, so they're open). No airs at all, just down to earth and a straight shooter. May be a bit too loyal at times but is loved here, and gets along extremely well with the AD and university president. 

I hope this is not due to health issues with him or his family. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

I'll just say that we are shocked.  Stupid texts won't stop coming in (UW season ticket holder).

Petersen's the kind of guy you actually run into at the grocery store (we don't have HEBs, so they're open). No airs at all, just down to earth and a straight shooter. May be a bit too loyal at times but is loved here, and gets along extremely well with the AD and university president. 

I hope this is not due to health issues with him or his family. 

Why couldn't this have been Chip Kelly instead?

FD, I think everyone in the P12 is as stunned as you are.  He was recruiting like a motherf-er, had one hiccup season this year, but had the program on incredibly sound footing.  My guess is even the slight setback this year ate at him so much he just stressed himself out.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Why couldn't this have been Chip Kelly instead?

FD, I think everyone in the P12 is as stunned as you are.  He was recruiting like a motherf-er, had one hiccup season this year, but had the program on incredibly sound footing.  My guess is even the slight setback this year ate at him so much he just stressed himself out.  

He seemed worn down after the Apple Cup.  He's an offensive-minded guy and that side of the ball seriously underperformed this past season. Perhaps he just didn't want to deal with the changes he'd need to make (they underwhelmed last season as well and he said they'd be fixing it - to no avail).

I assume Coach Kwiatkowski will move back to DC but no idea what they will do on O.  At least as important is can Lake keep this class together? We aren't Texas by a long shot but this is the best class we've perhaps ever had. 

You’ve got 12 months Tom.
Seems like he's legit burned out. If that happened at Washington, I doubt he'd move his family across the country to Texas for a more stressful job.

That said, you're damn right I'll be yelling about firing Herman for Petersen when Texas does so much as throw an incomplete pass in 2020.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not a trivial difference in my opinion between the Stoops/Riley handoff and the Petersen/Lake deal. I guess it worked out okay for the tards that chose OU but as we know the kids sign up for the coach, not the school - generally. Looks like CP did things in what I would consider the right way.

• Like 1

No way he is done coaching. He is 100% at the top of the list for UT next year. He was making 4.9M. I bet it will take 7M to get him but if UT goes 8-9 wins next year then everyone will be ready to pay up. 

What a move. If urban stays out of the game this season and USC doesn’t can Helton then next offseason is going to be insane. 

No way he is done coaching. He is 100% at the top of the list for UT next year. He was making 4.9M. I bet it will take 7M to get him but if UT goes 8-9 wins next year then everyone will be ready to pay up. 
What a move. If urban stays out of the game this season and USC doesn’t can Helton then next offseason is going to be insane. 

If USC admin really does have issues with Meyer, I'd imagine Petersen is at the very top of their list as well. Have to think he'd lean SC as a west coast guy, but It could be a bidding war.

Of course, this is all speculation. He pretty clearly operates differently than a lot of bigtime coaches. He really could be done, or at least for more than a year.

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

If USC admin really does have issues with Meyer, I'd imagine Petersen is at the very top of their list as well. Have to think he'd lean SC as a west coast guy, but It could be a bidding war.

Of course, this is all speculation. He pretty clearly operates differently than a lot of bigtime coaches. He really could be done, or at least for more than a year.

I doubt he would go to USC strictly because then he would be the biggest rival of the school he just left a year prior. 

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

I took the train from SeaTac to The UW football stadium a couple of months ago for work, not during a game. It’s really cool coming up from underground and popping up right in front of the stadium.

What's really cool is having a big supper at one of the nice restaurants and then taking the boat to the stadium.  We did that several years ago when LSU played UW.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Chris Peterson is a great coach, there's no disputing that.  But he's also been at the 2nd best historical program in the Pac-12 for 6 years (and the best program has been down that entire time), and he has 1 bowl win (the prestigious Heart of Dallas Bowl) to show for it, 3 seasons of 8 or fewer wins, and only one season with less than 3 losses.

Schools like UT and USC should absolutely take a stab at him next offseason, but $7M is a little pricey. And I know a little something about overpaying for overrated coaching.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Chris Peterson is a great coach, there's no disputing that.  But he's also been at the 2nd best historical program in the Pac-12 for 6 years (and the best program has been down that entire time), and he has 1 bowl win (the prestigious Heart of Dallas Bowl) to show for it, 3 seasons of 8 or fewer wins, and only one season with less than 3 losses.

Schools like UT and USC should absolutely take a stab at him next offseason, but $7M is a little pricey. And I know a little something about overpaying for overrated coaching.

Well he also has 2 conference championships in those 6 years. Which matches our program's total for the last 20 years. Excuse me while I go kill myself.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Well he also has 2 conference championships in those 6 years. Which matches our program's total for the last 20 years. Excuse me while I go kill myself.

Fair point. Tyrone Willingham did almost destroy the program, and Sark only brought it back to serviceable.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, miguelito said:

He probably got bored with beating WSU every year.

I don’t know which Coug way back when did something that offended you, but I don’t really care about that either. If you can live your little meager life in your hole and write nasty things and that makes you feel even, you go right ahead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

He seemed worn down after the Apple Cup.  He's an offensive-minded guy and that side of the ball seriously underperformed this past season. Perhaps he just didn't want to deal with the changes he'd need to make (they underwhelmed last season as well and he said they'd be fixing it - to no avail).

I assume Coach Kwiatkowski will move back to DC but no idea what they will do on O.  At least as important is can Lake keep this class together? We aren't Texas by a long shot but this is the best class we've perhaps ever had. 

I think Lake will keep the class together and might even strengthen it.  But his first task has to be finding a new OC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

He has already been at the top of their list and told them no thank you once.  

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Lol username checks out

he took Washington to the playoffs.... Washington

he should be at the top of every single HC vacancy list. And hes an incredible coach

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

I think we are starting to see a swing back to coaches quitting earlier and going into adminstration like they used to do in the 70's and 80's on a more frequent basis. All the guys that have been HC's since their 30's are probably getting good and sick of this shit, and don't need the money 

I remember Bob Stoops talking specifically about that.  Said he didn’t want to be Bobby Bowden or something and admitted recruiting at this point is a young man’s game.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

I would put the chances of UT firing Herman after a 9-win season at just slightly above 0.0%.  (Barring a precipitating incident of some sort.)

21 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol username checks out

he took Washington to the playoffs.... Washington

he should be at the top of every single HC vacancy list. And hes an incredible coach

Don't be a dumbass.

I clearly stated that both UT and USC should pursue him if they're in the market next offseason. Meaning that he's among the best coaches in the country; he's just not on the Dabo/Urban/Meyer/Riley level. And Washington isn't some no name school, despite how far they fell under Willingham.

I was wrong to say that $7M would be too pricey though. I forgot how insane salaries have gotten, and $6M is the starting point for a big name school, even when hiring relatively unproven coaches. So $7M for Petersen is reasonable.

Edited by aggie08