You want fries with that?

RPM

US may face French fry shortage due to poor potato crop

The U.S. may face a French fry shortage due to a poor potato crop caused by cold and wet weather this year, Bloomberg reported Monday. 

Potato producers told the news outlet that they are attempting to purchase potatoes from across the continent after multiple harvests in Canada and the U.S. were ruined. The potato crop forecast in the U.S. is at the lowest since 2010, according to a U.S. Department of Agriculture report. 

Last month, frost hit potato farms across North America, with farmers in Manitoba, North Dakota and Minnesota losing crops. 

About 18 percent of the potato acreage in Manitoba went unharvested because of the weather, and 6.5 percent of Alberta crops experienced frost damage, according to Bloomberg. Manitoba and Alberta are the second- and third-largest growers in Canada, respectively, and the government is expected to release crop estimates Friday. 

Canada also is expected to have a higher demand for potatoes because of an increase in fry-processing capacity, which could prompt higher prices and limited potatoes for the U.S., according to Stephen Nicholson, a senior grains and oilseeds analyst at Rabobank.

“French fry demand has just been outstanding lately, and so supplies can’t meet the demand,” Travis Blacker, industry-relations director with the Idaho Potato Commission, told Bloomberg.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/agriculture/472668-us-may-face-french-fry-shortage-due-to-poor-potato-crop-report

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

When I grow up, I want to be a senior grains and oilseeds analyst at a big bank

First, you gotta pay your dues for a coupla decades as the JUNIOR grains and oilseeds analyst at the bank....then, when the old man retires, it's your turn to get that "senior" on your nameplate....and that's when the BIG bucks start rolling in...

Louie-Anderson-Coming-To-America.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

GDit, I can't have my fries with my popeye's chicken sandwich?! **

** Who the fuck orders fries from Popeye's? 

99% of the time I get the Dirty Rice, but they actually make pretty great fries. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

99% of the time I get the Dirty Rice, but they actually make pretty great fries. 

I'll take your word for it as I don't ever recall ordering their fries and don't plan to in the future.  Only rice & beans or dirty rice or, hell, even both.