Disc Golf

Snow Dog

I've still got a bag of discs from the mid-90's somewhere. Haven't chucked one in ages. Used to play the course around the campus at SWT and the course by the river in New Braunfels. High times.

Some of them might be collector worthy, check it out. I have a lot of Vibram, they checked out of disc golf production. Rubber discs, not plastic.
CSB, the Vibram tag you see on your nice boots stands for Vitali Bramani, hence the Vibram tag. He invented rubber climbing soles that were an alternative to leather hobnail boots that gave you frostbite and adios to your toes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't played in forever, but I could use an outing one of these days

I throw every day if the weather isn’t too extreme. Managed a nice skip ace on hole 8 at Wells Branch. Broke a 4 year ace drought just in an instant. Boom. Roasted.b19ccaa9117bc34575ac5741c1228a87.jpg

• Like 5

I've still got a bag of discs from the mid-90's somewhere. Haven't chucked one in ages. Used to play the course around the campus at SWT and the course by the river in New Braunfels. High times

Best course in San Marcos is Flying Armadillo

You play almost daily? And you went 4 years without acing one?

Yup. Bounced out of at least 2. Hole 5 at Mary Moore and hole 2 at Rivery.

The Rivery shot sucked, I was already turned around to celebrate , when everyone went, “Awww”.

Used to use Vibram rubber discs. Hit the pin square and bounced out.

Depends on the course. Hit +4 in the dark at Mary Moore tonight. No lost discs.

Can anybody recommend a starter set? I've always wanted to play at the course nearby, but no idea on what to buy.

Go talk to the folks at Disc Nation. They have tester discs. Drivers. Midrange,Putters.

You can go out in the field behind the store and rip them

Go talk to the folks at Disc Nation. They have tester discs. Drivers. Midrange,Putters.
You can go out in the field behind the store and rip them
Lol...I am guessing disc nation is in Austin? That's a bit of a drive from TXK. Maybe a lil help on a beginner set on amazon? Something my 11 year old and I can use. Just family stuff.

Lol...I am guessing disc nation is in Austin? That's a bit of a drive from TXK. Maybe a lil help on a beginner set on amazon? Something my 11 year old and I can use. Just family stuff.
As stated above, I haven't played in quite a while, but looking around on amazon, I'd get this plus another putter (everyone needs a putter, the others y'all can share) 

INNOVA Disc Golf Starter Set - Colors May Vary 160-180g - DX Putter, Mid-Range, Driver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079581M7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5b56Db0V7EAPJ

Inova is what I always preferred throwing and it's a good price for this set. Drivers are all different, and you just have to find what works for you. With three options, it's a good start. Your 11 year old likely won't benefit much from having an approach disc. It's not crucial by any means.

The only thing I'll say about the above set is that it's their lower end plastic. It won't break, but you'll get nicks in the sides, and eventually they'll fly differently than they did when new. However, they'll last for quite a while. Certainly long enough for you to know whether you like playing and develop a sense of what kind of disc you'll like.

Pay attention to the numbers on the top of the disc, and think about what you want differently if you were to upgrade (more speed, less curve, more weight, etc.) Their "star" plastic used to be the higher end discs, and they'd run about $15 per disc iirc. They seemingly last forever and are very durable. I've never retired any that I can remember (not willingly at least...) 15 at searight has claimed a few as its own.

• Like 1

As stated above, I haven't played in quite a while, but looking around on amazon, I'd get this plus another putter (everyone needs a putter, the others y'all can share) INNOVA Disc Golf Starter Set - Colors May Vary 160-180g - DX Putter, Mid-Range, Driver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079581M7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5b56Db0V7EAPJ

Inova is what I always preferred throwing and it's a good price for this set. Drivers are all different, and you just have to find what works for you. With three options, it's a good start. Your 11 year old likely won't benefit much from having an approach disc. It's not crucial by any means.

The only thing I'll say about the above set is that it's their lower end plastic. It won't break, but you'll get nicks in the sides, and eventually they'll fly differently than they did when new. However, they'll last for quite a while. Certainly long enough for you to know whether you like playing and develop a sense of what kind of disc you'll like.

Pay attention to the numbers on the top of the disc, and think about what you want differently if you were to upgrade (more speed, less curve, more weight, etc.) Their "star" plastic used to be the higher end discs, and they'd run about $15 per disc iirc. They seemingly last forever and are very durable. I've never retired any that I can remember (not willingly at least...) 15 at searight has claimed a few as its own.

Thanks for the long cat. Ordered just now, i appreciate it man!

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven’t played Flying Armadillo in San Marcos, you’re missing an awesome course. There’s an awesome whimsical putt putt course, and an 18 hole course that could be described as Circle C on roids.

Wharr pic, whaar3590751967dff39acfe0914a6f60410a.jpg

Anyone need to buy a badass bag for the Female persuasion? Won it in a raffle, I already have the same bag in Camo, I’ve beat it up for a year now and it’s tough. 7f23eec3bedfd32f264d55bbc5097d3c.jpg

Can’t throw worth shit in a tournament, but I can win raffles.

Night disc golf at Mary Moore tonight. Blasted 18 holes in 75 minutes. My record is 54 minutes. Hard to do in the dark, there’s rocks and Moonshadows and stumps and shit. No one there but me and the chupacabras.

I haven't played much in about a decade, but I plan on getting my 4yo boy into it in a few years. I still have my Army surplus gas mask bag with 8 or so discs in it. They're probably all tremendously low-tech at this point - Ken Climo Cheetahs, etc. 

In the meantime, we play Kan Jam in the backyard just to get him used to throwing. We don't play by the actual rules of that game (similar to horseshoes, lawn darts, and cornhole, I guess) but just take turns with four Ultimate discs and four Golf discs (two drivers, two putters) from about 40-50 feet. 

It's a good substitute, but obviously not quite the real deal. 

https://kanjam.com/

I haven't played much in about a decade, but I plan on getting my 4yo boy into it in a few years. I still have my Army surplus gas mask bag with 8 or so discs in it. They're probably all tremendously low-tech at this point - Ken Climo Cheetahs, etc. 
In the meantime, we play Kan Jam in the backyard just to get him used to throwing. We don't play by the actual rules of that game (similar to horseshoes, lawn darts, and cornhole, I guess) but just take turns with four Ultimate discs and four Golf discs (two drivers, two putters) from about 40-50 feet. 
It's a good substitute, but obviously not quite the real deal. 
https://kanjam.com/

Save that old shit, disc golf collectors can be weird.
I have some nice Mint discs that are rare. And lots of Vibram, they quit making them.
Rubber disc, not plastic.
Great stuff. Shot a 70 ft Birdie putt on hole 15 tonight at Mary Moore.
I stink like cedar.f4f63d5d966ec49e8c831057148677c5.jpg

• Like 1

Got a hole in one at Wells the other nights playing with light up disc. It’s Wells so not the biggest achievement ever but cool still.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ace is an ace, bro.

Tonight was gorgeous at Mary Moore. More peeps coming out, it’s been dry, and not Muddy Moore. Rain coming tho. Bust that damn cedar pollen. 15135a078b261b1178c2228da67a57fd.jpg

Hole 15 in moonlight

Anyone else ever play Northtown in north east Austin? We play there all the time. Much more challenging and fun than Wells.

It’s a badass course. The waterholes and OB are brutal. I live in Hays County. Whenever I get north of the Mighty Colorado, I get jumpy. Cat Hollow was fun.

There’s an excellent tournament at Swordstone in February out near Briarcliff, just do the Googles. It’s a great course, but mostly private. It’s Circle C on steroids.
It’s called the Swordstone Shiver.
There’s a fire pit and beer.

It’s a badass course. The waterholes and OB are brutal. I live in Hays County. Whenever I get north of the Mighty Colorado, I get jumpy. Cat Hollow was fun.

Northtown is definitely challenging but after playing it so many times for so many years, we are actually pretty good at it. Yea, cat hollow is great. Probably the best all around course in Austin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 7:58 PM, Snow Dog said:

Save that old shit, disc golf collectors can be weird.

I have some nice Mint discs that are rare. And lots of Vibram, they quit making them.
Rubber disc, not plastic.
Great stuff.

Found my old quiver today. 

I'll sell it for $10,000.

20200529_154833.jpg

20200529_154819.jpg

• 2 weeks later...