Black Widow

Parliament

5 hours ago, Duval Street said:

She has an upcoming series on Disney+ as well, or did I get that confused with this movie?

No, that's Scarlet Witch and it's set as a 50's sitcom. Bucky and Falcon also have a show coming. 

My kids love Black Widow so this will be fun for us to go see. 

Edited by mdmost

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2019 at 8:13 AM, Duval Street said:

David Harbour trying to be Captain Russia?

She has an upcoming series on Disney+ as well, or did I get that confused with this movie?

Red Guardian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Guardian

Spoiler

Red Guardian

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
Red Guardian
Avengers-43.jpg
Alexei Shostakov as Red Guardian
Publication information
Publisher Marvel Comics
First appearance The Avengers #43 (August 1967)
Created by Roy Thomas
John Buscema
In-story information
Alter ego Alexei Shostakov | Алексей Шостаков
Team affiliations KGB
Notable aliases Ronin
Abilities Highly skilled athlete
Master hand to hand combatant
Expert pilot
Use of "belt-buckle" disc

Red Guardian (Russian: Красный страж, Krasnyy Strazh) is the name of several fictional superheroes appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The Red Guardian is an identity that was created as the Soviet equivalent of Captain America, although its use has continued after the fall of the Soviet Union.

David Harbour will portray the Alexei Shostakov incarnation of Red Guardian, in the 2020 film Black Widow set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.[1]

Aleksey Lebedev[edit]

Aleksey Lebedev Russian: Алексей Лебедев , the Golden Age version of Red Guardian, first appeared in Namor, The Sub-Mariner Annual #1 (June 1991), created by writers Dana Moreshead and Mike Thomas, and artist Phil Hester. Very little is known of him, but he fought alongside Captain America (William Naslund) and the Sub-Mariner at the Potsdam Conference, in July, 1945.[2] He began his career during World War II and met the All-Winners Squad (formerly the Invaders) on only one recorded occasion, shortly after the war's end.[volume & issue needed] Like the other crusaders of the same name, he was created as a Soviet counterpart to Captain America.[volume & issue needed] He was later apparently killed during the purges of the 1950s, opposing the brutal experiments that would later create his successor.[3]

Alexei Shostakov[edit]

Alexei Alanovich Shostakov was the second version of Red Guardian, and was created by Roy Thomas and John Buscema.

Alexei Shostakov was born in Moscow, and was the husband of Natasha Romanova. Both he and his wife became agents of the Soviets: the latter as the Black Widow while the former became a test pilot and KGB agent and then trained as a Soviet counterpart to Captain America as the "Red Guardian".

Alexei Shostakov was one of the Soviet Union's most acclaimed pilots. During World War II on the Eastern Front, he shot down a large number of Luftwaffe fighter planes in aerial battles and was credited for helping the Soviet Air Force win air supremacy over the skies of Stalingrad and Kursk. Because of his extraordinary skill, Shostakov was chosen for the most secret and dangerous tests and new aircraft for the Soviet Union. This included being the first pilot to test fly the MiG-15. The Soviet state controlled news media greatly publicized this and certain other missions of his such as his aerial battles against the U.S. Air Force over MiG Alley during the Korean War. As a result, Shostakov was decorated as a hero of the Soviet Union. Shostakov was also successful in his private life, having married the equally famous ballerina Natalie (familiarly known as Natasha) Romanova.

As the Cold War flared up in the 1950s, Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev realized that the Soviet Union needed its own equivalent to Captain America. Khrushchev chose Alexi Shostakov over Yuri Gagarin who would later become the first man in space. The KGB faked his death and trained him in secret, keeping his survival a secret from Natasha. He became a master of hand-to-hand combat and a highly skilled athlete. In addition, he carried a throwing disc on his belt which could be used against an opponent. Magnetic force returned the disc after throwing. The disc had the yellow hammer and sickle symbol on it and his costume was red with a star on his chest to symbolise the Soviet flag. While the Black Widow became disillusioned with KGB masters and defected to the United States, the Red Guardian remained loyal and became more ruthless and vindictive. The Red Guardian battled the Avengers with his Chinese ally Colonel Ling, to protect a Communist Chinese secret weapon located at a secret military base at an unrevealed location in the People's Republic of China, encountering the Black Widow and Captain America (Steve Rogers). When the Black Widow noticed "something familiar" about him, Red Guardian revealed his identity. He was shot and mortally wounded minutes later by Colonel Ling while saving the lives of the Black Widow and Captain America. He was buried under molten lava when the laser blast caused the eruption of a long-dormant volcano.[4]

Some time later, a Life Model Decoy was patterned after Alexei Shostakov was introduced in the "Widow Maker" crossover between the Hawkeye & Mockingbird and Black Widow titles as Ronin.[5] The LMD initially starts assassinating spies and eventually targets Mockingbird and Black Widow. After he was seemingly destroyed in his first battle with the Black Widow,[6] the LMD was later revealed to be alive and had risen very high up in power within Bulgaria as Ronin. The LMD was responsible for a plot to capture and try his "former wife" for crimes as a Soviet super soldier but his plan is foiled with the help of Daredevil and the Avengers.[7]

David Harbour will portray the character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film Black Widow (2020).

Dr. Tania Belinsky[edit]

Main article: Starlight (Marvel Comics)

Dr. Tania Belinsky, a neurosurgeon from the USSR, later adopted the costumed Red Guardian identity and joined the Defenders. Created by Steve Gerber and Sal Buscema, she first appeared in The Defenders #35 (May 1976).

Josef Petkus[edit]

The fourth Red Guardian, Josef Petkus first appeared in Captain America #352 (April 1989), and was created by writer Mark Gruenwald and artist Kieron Dwyer. The character subsequently appears in Avengers #319-324 (July–October 1990), Incredible Hulk #393 (May 1992), and Soviet Super-Soldiers #1 (November 1992). The character subsequently appears as the Steel Guardian in Iron Man #9 (October 1998). Petkus appeared as part of the "Supreme Soviets" entry in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update '89 #7.

Josef Petkus was a special operative for the intelligence agencies of the Soviet Union, and appeared as a member of the militant Supreme Soviets. Alongside the Supreme Soviets, he attacked the Soviet Super-Soldiers for defecting from the Soviet Union. Alongside Captain America, he later battled a bear-like creature composed of the Darkforce.[8] The Supreme Soviets were later renamed the post-Soviet Russian super-team called the Winter Guard. Alongside this confederacy, he teamed with the Avengers and Alpha Flight to battle the Peace Corpse, the Atlantean Army, and the Combine.[9] Petkus later joined a Winter Guard splinter group called the People's Protectorate, now calling himself the "Steel Guardian".[10] When he and his team went off in search of the timelord Immortus hoping to find a way to resurrect Vanguard's sister, Lanyia. They agreed to fighting off Dire Wraiths invading his realm in exchange for this favor, Joseph being killed while in the line of duty.[11]

Krassno Granitsky[edit]

A fifth Red Guardian, Krassno Granitsky, appeared in Maverick #10 (June 1998), created by writer Jorge Gonzales and artist Leo Fernandez. He teamed up with the mercenary superhero Maverick to battle a crime lord.

The name "Krassno Granitsky" comes from the James Bond novel From Russia With Love; it is the Russianized name of the assassin Donovan "Red" Grant.[citation needed] He also appeared in the first issue of Ed Brubaker's Captain America, where he was executed by Aleksander Lukin.[volume & issue needed]

Anton[edit]

The sixth Red Guardian, Anton,[12] made his first appearance in the first issue of Jeph Loeb's Hulk series as a member of the Winter Guard.[13] Anton claims to be an engineer and a former Crimson Dynamo pilot, and was later revealed to be (at least partially) a Life Model Decoy.[14] He was decapitated by a Dire Wraith, although his head was kept in storage, seemingly still alive.[15]

Nicolai Krylenko[edit]

Nicolai Krylenko, also known as Vanguard, is the seventh Red Guardian, and leads the Winter Guard.[15]

Powers and abilities[edit]

None of the Red Guardian's various identity users have been revealed to possess superhuman powers or abilities, with the exception of Tania Belinsky after her mutation by the Presence, the Ultimate version, the seventh Red Guardian, and Krylenko. All are highly skilled athletes. Shostakov was an expert pilot, a master hand-to-hand combatant, and was trained in espionage techniques by the KGB.[16] All of the Guardians but Alexei and Tania have used a Steel shield similar to that used by Captain America. Alexei and Tania used a "belt-buckle" disc, a hurling weapon which magnetically returned to the wearer's hand when thrown, and was a part of their costume's belt buckle. The fourth Red Guardian; Josef Petkus often employed an energized sword as a secondary armament alongside his shield.[17] The sixth Red Guardian was an LMD named Anton, whose powers are cybernetic based. His falsified backstory was that he's an expert engineer and former Crimson Dynamo pilot, his real strength lies in his moderate degree of enhanced cybernetic physicality. The latest Red Guardian is Nikolai Krylenko/Vanguard, brother to Laynia Petrovna; whose powers are derived from his mutation.[18] Which stems to a fullbody force field that repels electromagnetic and kinetic energy, forces he can best guide and direct through a medium like the technically advanced Vibranium Shield supplied to him by Executive Security Committee.[19] Or through a crux like the symbol of his home country; A sickle and hammer.[20] He also directs this force against the earth itself to obtain flight. Nikolai wears a more advanced suit than previous Red Guardians, which is lined with circuitry that works in conjunction with the compact computer on his shield. Not only enabling the guided flight and return of which through their digital connection, but the amplification of the effects of his own energy field.[21]

• Fuck You 1

• 1 month later...

I thought this was a thread for the 30 year old Debra Winger/Theresa Russell movie.   The only reason I clicked on it was to tell the OP he's a dumbass and we don't need a thread for every fucking movie he watches on cable.  

I stand corrected.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Wow. That’s a hell of a delay. You’d think they’d try to leave open the possibility of getting it out in Dec-March considering they can’t release any of the others until then. I know there is advertising and prep involved, but my understanding is that takes place 4-5 weeks before release. If push back to Christmas opening, meaning you’ve got at least another 4-6 weeks to see how things are going. 

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Wow. That’s a hell of a delay. You’d think they’d try to leave open the possibility of getting it out in Dec-March considering they can’t release any of the others until then. I know there is advertising and prep involved, but my understanding is that takes place 4-5 weeks before release. If push back to Christmas opening, meaning you’ve got at least another 4-6 weeks to see how things are going. 

I'm thinking their data people are telling them theaters will shut back down this fall, and into the spring, given that the vaccinations won't be widely available until later in the spring.  And even if a vaccine wrapped up trials today, the manufacturer  has to wait 60 days after the end of trials, before submitting their stuff to the FDA, to make sure there are no short-term side effects, and that it's effective.  So that's pushing into December before they can even start ramping up production.

11 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Perhaps Mulan didn't perform well enough for them to try to do the same thing with this movie.

Mulan reeled in millions of parents willing to drop $30, and it will reel in millions more willing to do their free trial or spend $7 a month or whatever, when it hits Disney+ in December.  And Mulan pulled in $50 million from Chinese theaters, which helped, even if their haul was less than half.  And I think Mulan was also a bit of an anomaly, in that Disney may have thought things would improve enough by the spring, but there's no vaccines coming in the near future.

Black Widow ain't going to reel in millions of people willing to drop $30 on it as well.

If both had hit theaters in normal times, Black Widow does less than half of Mulan's numbers.  And probably nowhere near Tenet's numbers either.

You're going to see a lot more movies pushed back deep into 2021.  G. I. Joe: Snake Eyes was pushed back to October of 2021.

I don't think Dune launches in December.

Something else to consider - just from a few minutes of looking, those trailers, even the ones on the official channels, are probably not pulling down the kinds of numbers you'd want to see if you're Disney.  Not many are going to theaters obviously, but given that this is a prequel of sorts, and that it comes after a massive finale to the previous phase/decade, this one does not feel like it will be huge.

I could be wrong though, but this just doesn't seem to have the buzz of Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel.  I would like to see it, but not worth seeing in theaters to me.

• 9 months later...
57 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

My wife still doesn’t allow me to go to movie theaters (fully vaxxed for almost 3 months now), so I will be paying $30 to see this sometime Bthis weekend. I need a better sound system to go with my TCL 

she doesn’t allow you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

Going in about 30 min with the family. My 15 yr old son lives everything MCU and my 12 yr old daughter could care less but is going. I think everyone is ready to get back to theaters.

how much less?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Any of you seeing this tomorrow or even tonight?  Got tickets with the kids for the first time back in the theater in forever.

Ticket purchased for Saturday. Can’t wait. 

Went and saw it with the family tonight. My wife and oldest are Marvel obsessed, my youngest and me not so much. However, we all were ready to go sit in a theater again. It was worth the watch just for the record. I’m sure they will probably go see it again at some point.

I really enjoyed it.  My daughter who groans about everything MCU even liked it.  The first 45 min went by quick with lots of action and I thought the chemistry of the actors was great.  I'll want to watch it again in a few months, but damn it felt good to be in a theater.  

I’ll say this is one of the more different feelings/anticipations for MCU movies. It’s probably the first time since IM2 maybe that I’m excited to watch it, but I have no anticipation built up on “how is this going to tie in to the bigger arc.”  I’m sure it will tie in, and I’m guessing it will kick off the next set of “what’s coming next” movies, but this one feels more like a blank slate

33 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guarantee that it will still be in theaters in two weeks.

Easy call for an MCU flick pre-pandemic, but I have no idea how many people are returning to the theaters in enough capacity to keep the movies going as long.  I also don't know what movies could be coming out behind this one to knock it out of the lineup if its ticket sales aren't as strong.

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Easy call for an MCU flick pre-pandemic, but I have no idea how many people are returning to the theaters in enough capacity to keep the movies going as long.  I also don't know what movies could be coming out behind this one to knock it out of the lineup if its ticket sales aren't as strong.

Fast and furious NINE is about to start its third weekend in theatres after making 75ish mil the first weekend. They aren’t going to pull the phase 5 kick off for the MCU in 2 weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

There's not enough films in theaters right now so they are staying around much longer than usual since there's nothing to take their place.

Just saw it.  First time at a theater since the pandemic hit.  The movie was entertaining and worth seeing but not one of the best Marvel movies in my opinion.  Not sure if I want to watch it over and over again like I do with Thor Ragnarok, Infinity War or Captain America Civil War but then again I can watch Scar Jo in a tight outfit all day long.   Oh, and I apparently really missed overpriced popcorn covered in butter/coconut oil flavored like butter.

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

My kids have seen the Spider-Man shows, captain America, and first avengers.  How does this compare on the appropriateness scale?  Did they go really dark with Natashas background?  

She seduces some important politician (don't want to spoil who), and while she's riding him, she pulls out a stiletto and shoves it right into his heart and keeps riding him while he bleeds out/dies.

Is that dark?

Edit: Wait, that's a different movie with a different redhead.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

She seduces some important politician (don't want to spoil who), and while she's riding him, she pulls out a stiletto and shoves it right into his heart and keeps riding him while he bleeds out/dies.

Go on…

• Haha 1

Just got back from the alamo. I thought it was really solid. All the marvel movies are well done. Even the lesser ones still deliver for the most part.

The most disappointing part of the movie was at one point it looked like Scarlett Johansson and Florence Pugh were about to make out. But no dice. If they really wanted to break new ground, kung-fu Russian lesbian incest super hero super model spy sex scene certainly would have taken it to 11.

• Hook 'Em 2