Black Widow

Parliament

My kids have seen the Spider-Man shows, captain America, and first avengers.  How does this compare on the appropriateness scale?  Did they go really dark with Natashas background?  
More language than most of the Marvel movies. My 10 year old was pretty freaked out during all the parts about kidnapping, enslaving and murdering children. There also wasn't nearly as much humor in this one. My kids (6 & 10) probably wouldn't have been into the plot at all if they weren't already into Black Widow. If it didn't have there Avengers tie in, I would pass on this for kids.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

It was ok. They really needed to cut out a lot of the "family" shtick. We get it, you guys were a fake undercover family for a few years. We don't need a reminder every 5 minutes. And David Harbour (fake dad) is only 8.5 years older than Scarlett.

Nitpicky, but the Antonia thing annoyed me. When the mask came off, it was Olga Kurylenko, who is 5 years older than Scarlett IRL....who blew her up when Natasha was an adult agent and Antonia was a child.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RPM said:

Just finished watching. Didn't hate it. David Harbour was good as the male comic relief in a chick flick.

This is the kind of chick flick I can get into including the United Colors of Benneton supermodel assassins.  Not so much Ghost Buster reboots where they lazily shoehorn an all female leads cast just because they are too lazy to write interesting scripts for women. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Without Florence Pugh and Harbour this movie would be a total piece of shit and possibly the worst of the MCU.

Nah. Not with Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 and Captain Marvel around. Also I liked it as much or more than Black Panther and Ant Man 2

30 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

No. Just sucked less than it could have.

I know it’s a superhero movie and all but like fuck. We see her in Iron Man 2 and she dominates and whatnot. Then she goes through that shit in The Avengers, then more shit in Cap Winter Soldier, then age of ultron, then that horseshit in cap civil war. We saw what she did in InfinityWar and End Game. Then this. Yeah she’s a spy I get it. But she couldn’t just take a break and go see some Japanese baseball or something between civil war and infinity war!?!? Go fishing or something. But yeah besides me being like “FUCKKK!!!!! Go rest!!! Do anything besides what you do!!!!” It was pretty solid. 

Spoiler

So the end credit scene. Yeah I’m no comic book nerd but I know JLDs character is big shit in the comics and whatnot. But like why would her fake sister want revenge after Natasha sacrifices herself for half of all life across the universe? Is Hawkeye that shitty of a story teller? Did PBS not get the full story? Idk. Revenge of all things seems odd there 

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

Hide contents

So the end credit scene. Yeah I’m no comic book nerd but I know JLDs character is big shit in the comics and whatnot. But like why would her fake sister want revenge after Natasha sacrifices herself for half of all life across the universe? Is Hawkeye that shitty of a story teller? Did PBS not get the full story? Idk. Revenge of all things seems odd there 

Spoiler

She isn’t tight with the Avengers, and therefore probably doesn’t know Nat sacrificed herself for Barton (refusing to let him sacrifice himself for her) and his family on Vormir. Val’s spinning lies for her own yet-to-be-revealed devices. 

Hawkeye’s D+ series will probably explore this storyline further. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched it last night on Disney+ since the damn Alamos here are closed till August. It was enjoyable. Florence Pugh was great. It was a tad eye-rollie but it's a Marvel Bourne movie and that's okay. Maybe Natasha has some Wolverine healing ability because she takes quite a lot of punishment and seems okay and ready to keep kicking ass. I'd love to watch one of those YouTube videos about how much stuff she would break or bleed internally after the falls, punches, and kicks she takes. 

As far as the after credit scene:

Spoiler

Obvious Hawkeye series setup, which oddly we've seen nothing of yet and it's supposedly out in the fall. I'd imagine he's wanted by some of the members of groups he killed while he was Ronin after the snap. Can't send just anyone to kill an Avenger and Val seems like the fixer type that will hire out questionable heroes for mercenary type jobs.

Edited by mdmost

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

Watched it last night on Disney+ since the damn Alamos here are closed till August. It was enjoyable. Florence Pugh was great. It was a tad eye-rollie but it's a Marvel Bourne movie and that's okay. Maybe Natasha has some Wolverine healing ability because she takes quite a lot of punishment and seems okay and ready to keep kicking ass. I'd love to watch one of those YouTube videos about how much stuff she would break or bleed internally after the falls, punches, and kicks she takes. 

As far as the after credit scene:

Hide contents

Obvious Hawkeye series setup, which oddly we've seen nothing of yet and it's supposedly out in the fall. I'd imagine he's wanted by some of the members of groups he killed while he was Ronin after the snap. Can't send just anyone to kill an Avenger and Val seems like the fixer type that will hire out questionable heroes for mercenary type jobs.

Spoiler

I don’t like the forces in fighting set up by lies/false information that should be relatively easy to sort out. I hope they don’t spend too long during the Hawkeye series fighting because of that. 

BW was supposed to kick off the new phase, obviously the pandemic got in the way. Is the biggest part of that Val being essentially Nick Fury for this new phase?  

9 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:
  Hide contents

I don’t like the forces in fighting set up by lies/false information that should be relatively easy to sort out. I hope they don’t spend too long during the Hawkeye series fighting because of that. 

BW was supposed to kick off the new phase, obviously the pandemic got in the way. Is the biggest part of that Val being essentially Nick Fury for this new phase?  

Spoiler

I think we're getting a Dark Avengers/Thunderbolts team. US Agent, new Black Widow, probably Taskmaster being reprogrammed. Armor Wars will probably have someone getting a Mark suit or Iron Man tech. Then Secret Wars will bring them and the remaining Avengers together. 

Saw it.  Really good action sequences, a really good cast, and the story was fine.  Unfortunately the script is dogshit, the dialogue was some of the worst in the MCU, and they waste the cast with some unbelievable plot points.  It was bottom third of Marvel movies, but it was great to be back at the movies and again, the action sequences were fun, if not silly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Saw it at the Alamo last night, my 13yo daughter loves all things Marvel and she loved it, so that enhanced my enjoyment of it as well (as did Scarlett and Florence).

Agree it wasn't the strongest, definitely in the bottom 1/3rd of MCU, but that means it's still pretty good.

Very glad to be back at the movies on the big screen though, that might have been the best part.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

i enjoyed it just fine, but after the main character had been in a bunch of other marvel movies, this simply was a story that didn’t need to be told. 

Agree with this for sure.  Especially because she's already dead and they made a big deal about it.

Just now, utee94 said:

Agree with this for sure.  Especially because she's already dead and they made a big deal about it.

This was her backstory (a/k/a make bank of a dead character/set up a spinoff).

the sucky thing is that there will be plenty of people (assuming a ton of young girls) who will see this movie who haven't seen the other 24 marvel movies required to be completely caught up with the entire saga.

the wife doesn't love marvel, she's seen most of the origin story movies once, but wasn't intimately familiar with the exact timeline at play here, and there was some pausing and explaining and running through ultron and civil war, two movies she did not love and i think she might not have even finished civil war.  if we were in the theater, there would've been some obnoxious shushing, coming from me, which always leads to fun nights.

the casual fan is probably expecting some sort of black widow sequel (is there one planned i honestly have no idea?).  seeing a tombstone at the end wasn't completely necessary and probably caused more harm than good, all for some lame setup of what is sure to be a mid-level disney+ series.

sidenote, if you're now a florence pugh fan, go watch "the little drummer girl", limited series on amc.  we liked it a lot.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i enjoyed it just fine, but after the main character had been in a bunch of other marvel movies, this simply was a story that didn’t need to be told. 

The cash cow that it will be tells a different story. My kids were more excited for this one than most of the others, but they are Marvel nerds and girls. I have no idea what’s going on, but it was still enjoyable as a stand alone movie.

19 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

This movie reminded more of the Anna, Red Sparrow genre with some ‘capes’ thrown in.

It should, since the Red Sparrow genre draws from Black Widow (who came out in 1964), and the Red Room was canonized in the comics in the late 90s (but her background was already fleshed out before that).

This really was a movie that should have been made years ago, so it was always going to have problems.

The logical time for this movie to have been made and released was considered "too crowded" at the time for an additional movie, but now we are getting like 6 MCU movies in 14 or 15 months LOL (I know, covid and all).

I liked the family stuff although I know some of you thought it was corny. Harbour was funny (Crimson Dynamo lol). Florence was fantastic.

It was really good. I think critics are being too hard on this movie.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It should, since the Red Sparrow genre draws from Black Widow (who came out in 1964), and the Red Room was canonized in the comics in the late 90s (but her background was already fleshed out before that).

This really was a movie that should have been made years ago, so it was always going to have problems.

The logical time for this movie to have been made and released was considered "too crowded" at the time for an additional movie, but now we are getting like 6 MCU movies in 14 or 15 months LOL (I know, covid and all).

I agree that this type of background movie would have been great if it was released years ago around the time of the winter soldier type movies.  Giving background on a character we won't see anymore isn't a great idea but I thought the movie was fine like I said in a earlier post.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I agree that this type of background movie would have been great if it was released years ago around the time of the winter soldier type movies.  Giving background on a character we won't see anymore isn't a great idea but I thought the movie was fine like I said in a earlier post.

Yeah, from 2011 - 2016, they stuck to the two-movies-a-year schedule, and even when they to three in 2017, a lot of people wondered if it would work.

Black Widow would have had to fit in somewhere in the following:

1. 2016 - Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange
  2. 2017 - Guardians 2, Spider-Man Homecoming,  Thor Ragnarok
  3. 2018 - Black Panther, Avengers infinity War

The problem is that the movies between Civil War and Infinity War all lead to Infinity War. Guardians 2 would be the weakest of the bunch that Marvel controls (A Spidey movie had to happen for Sony to allow them to use him in Infinity War), and Black Widow's origin story would not be doing anything to setup up Infinity War.  

I think BW's movie would have been better after either the first Avengers movie, or after Winter Soldier.

• Hook 'Em 1

This was the worst MCU movie in my opinion.  Florence Pugh did all she could but everything else was a disaster.  Every joke was performed like they were pausing for a laugh track and no one in the theater ever laughed. 

Also Ray Winstone's Russian accent might have been worse than Dick Van Dykes British accent in Mary Poppins. At one point I thought he was doing Brooklyn then I thought he was doing cockney.

Edited by fellside
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 12:26 AM, fellside said:

This was the worst MCU movie in my opinion.  Florence Pugh did all she could but everything else was a disaster.  Every joke was performed like they were pausing for a laugh track and no one in the theater ever laughed. 

Also Ray Winstone's Russian accent might have been worse than Dick Van Dykes British accent in Mary Poppins. At one point I thought he was doing Brooklyn then I thought he was doing cockney.

Have you seen the second Thor movie?

• Like 1

Upper quartile of MCU movies. (Though thats not saying much). 

Because it is mostly a normal movie and not just a subsidy program for VFX studios. Except the end parts of the movie it wasnt complete senseless supernatural action sequences. 

i liked the humor and the women were good. The facemasks thing were a bit too contrived to ough. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2021 at 9:27 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Saw it.  Really good action sequences, a really good cast, and the story was fine.  Unfortunately the script is dogshit, the dialogue was some of the worst in the MCU, and they waste the cast with some unbelievable plot points.  It was bottom third of Marvel movies, but it was great to be back at the movies and again, the action sequences were fun, if not silly.

Bingo.  Lots of good but the dialogue and plot were contrived.  Still a good popcorn movie and one I won’t immediately turn off it I come across it later.  Hot women fighting and a funny fat Russian character by no means is a bad setup just wish they had done more with it.

Not in the top 1/4, not in the bottom 1/4 somewhere in the low middle tier for Marvel movies which is to be expected since it didn’t really advance the greater MCU world other than giving us a few new characters and backstory on a dead one that helps connect us to her replacement.

I was kinda surprised at the numerous language moments.  

I personally dont care about it, (I curse a lot in my everyday life) but even I noticed the 15-20 curse words sprinkled throughout the movie.     

I could be wrong, but I dont remember a significant amount of easly heard cursing in the other 20+ movies

like others I wasnt super-impressed with the movie.   For me it was a bottom 1/3rd of the last 13 years of the timelines. 

I guess part of the issue is that because of the timeline, so we absolutely knew BW couldnt die, or even be seriously injured. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN

Agree with a lot of the above.  Good not great. The swearing was noticeable (almost like it was intentionally so). And I think it all came from Pugh - perhaps that’s part of her change that we’ll notice in future movies/series as she becomes more of a “hero”?  Harbour was funny.  Tie-ins/call backs are always fun and “Draykov’s daughter” being used by Loki in the first Avengers to antagonize her was a good one. 

Spoiler

End credits - so clearly she’s been working with Val the last few years. Perhaps running down all of the widows brought her into Val’s view. Her new mission sets up the Hawkeye series pretty well. I’d guess she’s ultimately successful as Hawkeye passes the mantle to his successor.  Never read the comics so I don’t know how she fits with Hawkeye at all

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I was kinda surprised at the numerous language moments.  

I personally dont care about it, (I curse a lot in my everyday life) but even I noticed the 15-20 curse words sprinkled throughout the movie.     

I could be wrong, but I dont remember a significant amount of easly heard cursing in the other 20+ movies

2 hours ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Agree with a lot of the above.  Good not great. The swearing was noticeable (almost like it was intentionally so). And I think it all came from Pugh - perhaps that’s part of her change that we’ll notice in future movies/series as she becomes more of a “hero”? 

They are just prepping her for the team-up with Deadpool

Spoiler

I have no idea, but it sounds right