Texas vs UAB- 7pm on LHN

Goo Punch

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

I dunno. They kicked Bryant off the team after three games; I could see their season going either way. They lost by 11 to Utah Valley, for example. On the other hand... yeah.

i chortled. my thoughts exactly. maybe this will be the one game in five where everyone huts their shots and we win by 25. But then again...yeah. 

"Shaka has been stressing to his team to get the ball into the paint at least one time in every possession." 

always important to eschew the natural flow of an offense for something that's largely inconsequential, particularly with our specific post options. great coaching Shaka. 

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

"Shaka has been stressing to his team to get the ball into the paint at least one time in every possession." 

always important to eschew the natural flow of an offense for something that's largely inconsequential, particularly with our specific post options. great coaching Shaka. 

Getting the ball into the paint doesn't necessarily mean getting the ball to the post. 

36 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Defensive effort has been there. Given up some putbacks, but that's going to happen with the D we run.

Helps that Kai Jones has been playing like he's got four arms.

This "no help" defensive strategy goes against everything I've ever known about basketball. I'm not sure I like it. Especially with bigs who are young (Jones & Baker), low IQ (Sims), and spastic (Hamm).

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SDG said:

Not a gif, but perhaps the embedded video can help a surly artist. If not it’s fun to watch anyway.

Got dam, he got up there! Kai Jones will be huge to the arc of this year’s team. We have to have a second big that can play starter minutes. The 4 guard shit won’t work against most teams in conference. I’m glad Jones is starting to get regular minutes. Hopefully he can round into form by the meat of the conference schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

When was the last time a Texas game thread didn’t make it past the first page?

Talk about apathy and disinterest.

I didn't watch it live but  did go back and watch the next viewing on LHN late last night.  The effort is improved in general from last year.  Both Jones' were getting it done. 

Sims is quietly becoming a presence as well with some improved post moves and with a decent free throw shooting routine he looks to have developed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This "no help" defensive strategy goes against everything I've ever known about basketball. I'm not sure I like it. Especially with bigs who are young (Jones & Baker), low IQ (Sims), and spastic (Hamm).

A lot of NBA teams have moved to a no-switching/no-help defense. The Warriors do it almost exclusively, and a few other teams use it frequently or occasionally, depending on situation. 

I do agree that you need high basketball IQ and effort to run it. And like you said, it's counter-intuitive to most of what I'm used to both playing and watching basketball. But it's definitely something that's coming and growing in popularity. 

Edited by BradInATX

15 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

"No Help" is a response to the fact that low post play is no longer the focal point of a lot of offenses. In theory, the improvement in 3-point defense by going "No Help" offsets the reduction in defensive efficiency in the paint. Which means, of course, you have to execute it properly, or you're hosed. But that's true of pretty much every offensive or defensive philosophy.

• Like 1