New Cannonball Run Record

Viper

Man, gotta think this is a good time to try it.  Would think Highway Patrol would not be out in force.
I have two friends who are county sheriff officers in different counties and a dps friend. All 3 said they aren't running radar right now but you can get a ticket for reckless driving (guessing rolling 95 on the interstate).

My Valentine One hasn't gone off passing local, county, or state in two weeks. So maybe some truth to that.

So, yea.

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

I have two friends who are county sheriff officers in different counties and a dps friend. All 3 said they aren't running radar right now but you can get a ticket for reckless driving (guessing rolling 95 on the interstate).

My Valentine One hasn't gone off passing local, county, or state in two weeks. So maybe some truth to that.

So, yea.

That apparently isn't the case in Wise County. They're still running radar and have license plate scanners set up on 287. Denton County SO was set up on 114 yesterday, but you really have to be an asshole for them to put down their iPads and pull you over.

I have no problem with someone doing the run right now. Hell, it's divine intervention.

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

So, yea.

That's not the case in Round Rock. I have to drive through there on IH35 to get to my office in Georgetown. I've only been working in the office sporadically, but when I do, RR traffic enforcement is as thick as thieves on I35.

• 5 months later...
On 4/9/2020 at 9:03 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Many (most?) states have a super speeder enhancement that puts things into felony territory, usually around 30-40 over the posted limits. Not to mention any sort of fleeing/eluding, reckless endangerment, equipment violations (laser jammer in an illegal state, any concealment done to the license plate, illegal scanners, etc.) and anything else that a clever patrol officer could think up. 

Don’t forget Mann Act violations and kidnappin 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

@Lobo

I didn’t want to continue derailing the other thread…Here is an interview with Brock Yates you may find interesting:

https://buffalonews.com/news/an-interview-with-brock-yates-the-brains-behind-the-cannonball-run-tells-why-people-are/article_3a8a998f-a817-51b0-9e8b-d785c54365bf.html

Two things from the interview: I had no idea he wrote the screenplay with Steve McQueen as the lead. And I never went to his Cannonball Run Pub when I lived in the area as it was in a very small town with no college-age girls. Sad it’s gone now. 

Your past experience with long distance driving is interesting. I’d love to something like that. Maybe when my oldest is old enough to drive. After Thanksgiving, we drove from Houston to Oakland in 27 hours (including stops for gas). We beat the estimate by an hour! I was very proud of that. 

BUFFALO: The movie "Cannonball Run" with Burt Reynolds -- were you happy with it?

YATES: No, it was a big disappointment to me. The screenplay was originally written for Steve McQueen and it was a good screenplay. I was proud of it. Reynolds got involved in it, through a series of strange events related to the fact I had co-written a picture for him called "Smokey and the Bandit II."

When McQueen dropped out of the project because of the illness that ultimately killed him, Reynolds came on board. Reynolds just butchered the plot, he didn't care about it. It was not a happy time for me; made a lot of money but artistically . . . I'm not proud of it at all. It made a lot of people laugh but I didn't like the picture.

Based on how bad Smokey II was and how enjoyable the Cannonball Run was, I'd guess that Reynolds probably saved Cannonball, not butchered it.

• Hook 'Em 4