Definition of Insanity

AustinMT

Things went bad for Mack, so he made numerous coordinator and staff changes.  We saw how that turned out

Things went bad for Charlies, so he made numerous coordinator and staff changes. We saw how that turned out.

Things went bad for Tom, so he made numerous coordinator and staff changes...

This “definition of insanity” bit seemed to pop up ten years ago and is overused by the ignorant and the insane. 

in·san·i·ty
/inˈsanədē/
noun
  1. the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.
    "he suffered from bouts of insanity"
    2. extreme foolishness or irrationality.
    plural noun: insanities
    "it might be pure insanity to take this loan"
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Things went bad for Mack, so he made numerous coordinator and staff changes.  We saw how that turned out

Things went bad for Charlies, so he made numerous coordinator and staff changes. We saw how that turned out.

The Ogre is on his way to a title...

35 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

That's how coaching tenures work at literally every school...

Orgeron totally revamping his offense seems to have gone rather well, dontcha think?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

We totally should have kept the staff around to watch the full implosion next year

I don’t disagree with the decision.  I am suggesting that we should not be crowing and expecting a turnaround.  I hope the trend doesn’t repeat, but changing staff has not been a panacea here or elsewhere, for the most part

It depends on who the coach is and how he adapts. If you are stupid , or arrogant, or a douche bag, or some combination of these, you will continue to suck and drag “your” program to the bottom of the Marianas Trench, while cashing big checks. No incentive to change except ego/ will to win.

The  insanity rests with the ridiculous contracts and extensions accepted  and backed by BMDs. Until there is a performance link, nothing will change.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That's how coaching tenures work at literally every school...

Orgeron totally revamping his offense seems to have gone rather well, dontcha think?

That Darrell K Royal fellow made some major changes that seemed to have worked out alright.  I saw an interview years back where he took a chance on somebody who had been a high school coach just a year or two prior, and he made them one of the coordinators (can't remember if it was OC or DC, but want to say OC).

Note: I'm not saying Herman should be scouring high school coaches for his assistants.

54 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

What do you think the other options were in this case? He wasn’t getting fired this season regardless, so we should have just rolled with Orlando and Beck for 2020?

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

That’s usually how it’s done. Even more insanity is allowing the HC to do it more than once. (See mulligan clause in HC employment contract).

40 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Paging Futureman.

fear not, friendo, we will win out in 2020.  national champions.  everyone stays healthy, we become DBU again, coburn is an outland finalist (wins it in 2021), jared wiley and liebrock catch 8+ tds a piece, rojo and ingram both top 1,000 yards, and sam has the senior season we all know he’s capable of.  hold on to your butts because it’s gonna be one hell of a next 13 months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

my attorney prohibits me from speaking of my mental condition unless she's present.  However, I can act out all I want.  Right now I want another vodka.

That's something you do over and over again expecting, and getting, the same result. There's nothing crazy about that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

Thanks for this astute observation.

I will pump the breaks on expecting a title next year.

Isn't it "tap the brakes" though? I mean, if you feel like you are getting ahead of yourself, and you pump the brakes the car is going to come to a complete stop. No, what you wanna do is tap them, you know, turn off the cruise control, start coasting, checking your speed & etc.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This “definition of insanity” bit seemed to pop up ten years ago and is overused by the ignorant and the insane. 

in·san·i·ty
/inˈsanədē/
noun

THANK YOU!!!!

As you said, I've heard people using that axiom for many years and it always makes me cringe a bit.  Trying to act so damn smart..."The definition of insanity is doing the same..." 

Yeah dumbass, it's actually not.

11 hours ago, Lhorn said:

THANK YOU!!!!

As you said, I've heard people using that axiom for many years and it always makes me cringe a bit.  Trying to act so damn smart..."The definition of insanity is doing the same..." 

Yeah dumbass, it's actually not.

If you actually think I believed that is the definition of insanity, you are insane.   It was used to address an issue and, yes, I understand it is a cliche.

Mr. Literal lives on this board apparently....

Sorry, no offense intended and it definitely wasn't directed at you.  It's become so cliche that It's used ubiquitously even by many people who I suspect realize that it's not an actual definition, just a trite way to make a point.  I just find it a bit annoying, but it wasn't trigger by your post, just the other post listing the actual definition.  

17 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

in·san·i·ty
/inˈsanədē/
noun

I was told it's doing the same thing over and over expecting different results?