Kai Jones

Goo Punch

If you'll allow me to be positive and negative in one post: Kai looks like the next highly touted recruit to show immense promise as a freshman only to demonstrate little to no improvement over the course of his college career under Shaka.

But I keed, I keed.

Love his energy and athleticism. Offense is going to take a while, but he's already looking like a potential force on the defensive end.

He's 

15 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

If you'll allow me to be positive and negative in one post: Kai looks like the next highly touted recruit to show immense promise as a freshman only to demonstrate little to no improvement over the course of his college career under Shaka.

But I keed, I keed.

Love his energy and athleticism. Offense is going to take a while, but he's already looking like a potential force on the defensive end.

It'll be really interesting to see how he develops (and if that development happens here or on the next level). 

He has a better basketball skillset that than Sims does right NOW. He just needs more seasoning, imo! The more he plays the better he'll get. You can tell he just hasn't played enough ball yet. But I saw him last night pointing out missed rotations defensively to other players. So you can tell he's a confident bright kid (although an upperclassmen did have to get him in the right position a time or 2 as well. So he's far from knowing what he needs to to contribute more). Definitely a promising future though.  

He’s definitely got the athleticism to play at the next level.  It’s pretty impressive how well he guards on the perimeter when he switches on pick and roll.   If he can develop a shot and add some bulk he will have something, although not having a shot and being a bean pole didn’t stop Jackson Hayes from being drafted high.  BTW Lance Blanks said on the broadcast last night that there were actually scouts on hand to see him.  It’s a little deflating to think he could be yet another early leaver. But that’s why Shaka keeps getting these guys despite his record.  He’s running a system designed for athletes who can shoot and big men who can cover a large amount of floor. 

23 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s definitely got the athleticism to play at the next level.  It’s pretty impressive how well he guards on the perimeter when he switches on pick and roll.   If he can develop a shot and add some bulk he will have something, although not having a shot and being a bean pole didn’t stop Jackson Hayes from being drafted high.  BTW Lance Blanks said on the broadcast last night that there were actually scouts on hand to see him.  It’s a little deflating to think he could be yet another early leaver. But that’s why Shaka keeps getting these guys despite his record.  He’s running a system designed for athletes who can shoot and big men who can cover a large amount of floor. 

Yep guys his size with his athleticism that guard on the perimeter - WITHOUT FOULING are a really rare breed. And he does a great job of it, especially for being so inexperienced!

Kai's development is basically going to be the key to this season, imo. 

Right now this is not a tourney team. This four guys camping out beyond the arc shit will beat shitty ass A&M but not much else. 

I am a little bit intrigued by a lineup with Sims-Jones-Coleman and then a mix of the other guards depending on situation, who's hot, etc. 

10 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I am a little bit intrigued by a lineup with Sims-Jones-Coleman and then a mix of the other guards depending on situation, who's hot, etc. 

I think there's little chance Andrew Jones won't be logging starter minutes as the season progresses.  He's at 24.5 minutes and 12.4 PPG now.  He's not likely to fall off.  I'd say Sims-Jones-Jones-Coleman plus a mix.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

If I'm honest, Texas was fortunate to have him for two years. We as fans were, as well.

If anyone's been watching Nets games of late, Nicolas Claxton is a minimum example of what Kai could become--a rangy, athletic big who can run the floor and flush with authority. Kai's already a better shooter and defender, but he'll need to work on his rebounding.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

he's still young. he's got plenty of time to grow into a role, and with his athleticism, he's going to get all the chances in the world to do so. 

Meh. He may get another 100 games in the league. I haven't seen any noticeable development when it comes to his basketball skills and he isn't playing like a professional in summer league. His chances are about to be over unless he starts working his ass off.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

sucks to say but kai appears to just be one of these incredibly fragile and mentally ill gen z’ers that are popping up everywhere, and he needs help that doesn’t seem to want. he posted a video yesterday claiming that his mentality is that he is the greatest of all time at everything that he does. he needs help but he’s not a serious person, so i don’t see him getting it any time soon. 

and for anyone who isn’t aware, he’s been actively tanking his career and acting manic at best and tweaked out at worst on social media, while claiming to be the greatest mba player of all time, as well as calling out wilt, lebron, and even trashing his own teammates on twitter. antonio brown level head case. it’s sad. 

Edited by shadow_operative