Houston Brewery Hosts Black Mass: Local Papists Not Amused

MaybeACoordinator

Winningham said members do not believe in the existence of Satan or any supernatural being, instead using Satan as a “symbol against arbitrary authority.”

“A black mass is a made-up thing created by the Catholic Church in medieval times,” Winningham said. “It’s not exactly what you think it is.”

A Nov. 24 post on the temple’s Twitter account, however, said, “The Catholics and their fat mama Mary did not stop our Black Mass. The consecrated host was defiled, destroyed, and swept into the trash where it belongs.”

Well, the brewery is named Brash.

Least unsurprising thing ever. I've been here a few times and follow them on FB, they're always making Satanist jokes. It's a bunch of speed metal enthusiasts that make beer in a warehouse, nothing under like 9%. They're definitely a unique brand of dudes, with a cool space full of old arcade games. But yeah, they love taking the piss out of people. I don't really like their beer much, but they seem to just be a handful of guys brewing small batch mostly for themselves and trying to break even, which I respect. I don't think I've ever seen any of their beers in a bar. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 6:20 PM, MissingInAction said:

Hail Satan , a documentary about the Church of Satan, is on hulu.

Check it out. Their whole goal is exposing the hypocrisy of relgion, especially how it influences our govt.

I'll check that out. I don't see anyone (other than maybe a few whack jobs) would believe the stories to be literally true and choose the satan side of it. It's a pretty obvious troll job, but one that makes a legitimate point, and sometimes brings the lulz. 

NPR had an episode about dyslexic kids who have written letters to Satan, audio a the link below

Thanks to minor misspellings and poor penmanship, hundreds of children’s requests for holiday gifts are accidentally sent to Satan. And Satan, always in the market for the souls of innocents, often takes the time to respond. Matt Passet’s Daily Shouts piece is performed by Kathleen Turner, in the role of Satan, with assistance from Indie Pollak, Biel and Mina Cuadrado, Wilder Barron, and Luisa Tripoli-Krasnow.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/tnyradiohour/segments/childrens-holiday-letters-satan-rerun

On 12/23/2019 at 4:24 PM, 'stache said:

I'll check that out. I don't see anyone (other than maybe a few whack jobs) would believe the stories to be literally true and choose the satan side of it. It's a pretty obvious troll job, but one that makes a legitimate point, and sometimes brings the lulz. 

I definitely chose the side of Satan. 

Join me in hell.

Well if the Black Mass gathering isn't raping altar boys then maybe it is a better organization than the RCC and many other organized religions, and Joel Osteen
Exactly. The hypocrisy among the people bashing them for it was staggering. Some people really have a difficult time seeing the big picture.