Airport Restaurants/Food Go-To's (Any City)

Rougarou

For those who do a fair bit of travel but might be going to a new city/airport, perhaps some good insights might be helpful. I type this because I had one of the better airport meals at MSY at Emeril's Table. Great gumbo and excellent pork chop. Destroys IAH's Pappadeaux offering.

• Like 1

PDX has several good options, but I usually end up in hopworks or getting beer to go past security. Deschutes is also an option

I enjoy the less sucky Bayless torta joint in ohare. I’ve been told there are better options but I haven’t branched out yet. 

DIA I end up in Root Down. 

Chicago Midway: Gold Coast Dogs
O'Hare: Frontera Grill, Publican Tavern (Terminal 3) 
SFO Terminal 2: Plant Cafe
SFO Terminal 3: Limon Rotisserie, Super Duper Burger
Houston Hobby: Pappasito's in the food court 
Bergstrom: Salt Lick, Taco Deli, Eastside Pies

The owner of Gold Coast dogs is a cool dude.
Terminal 3 at ORD has good options, the United terminal sucks.
Pappadeux at DFW term A is awful.
Love Field has Whataburger
LGA should be good in 2 years.
JFK terminal 5(JetBlue) has decent options
ATL has a lot of fast food
SFO (terminal where virgin flies from) has solid options
SNA sucks
Newark sucks
Pittsburgh sucks

ATL:  One Flew South.  Sushi bar and southern food with some fusion.  Really, really good, even buy non-airport standards.  Always in the top 5 lists of best airport restaurants.  Eat there, then go drink at the Sky Club

PHX:  Matt’s Big Breakfast. All scratch made.  Pretty much considered the top breakfast airport restaurant, and it is good.

Love: Stephen Pyle’s Sky Canyon

Often at  DFW, IAH, SFO, and PHL but I am usually at the Centurion, so not much help.  There are some good restaurants at Terminal D at DFW (Abacus, White Tail)

• Like 1

I can’t remember the names but Sacramento has some excellent options that I’ve tried in visits this year.  Terminal B (Southwest) is really nice.

San Diego has several good bars with local drafts.

Phoenix has multiple good spots and one of the better connection cities for short layover.  Some serious talent I’ve noticed on my visits this year as well.

Newark and Kansas City suck ass.

Edited by MalibuSheriff

18 hours ago, 6th Street said:

O’Hare Terminal 1: Billy Goat Tavern & Grill

21 hours ago, Rougarou said:

For those who do a fair bit of travel but might be going to a new city/airport, perhaps some good insights might be helpful. I type this because I had one of the better airport meals at MSY at Emeril's Table. Great gumbo and excellent pork chop. Destroys IAH's Pappadeaux offering.

The pizza place at the new MSY is pretty good as well.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

KC is bizarre in that most of the restaurants are before you go through security. At the SWA gates, the best place is the fucking premade sandwich stand. I hate that shitty airport.

But on the other hand, there's no reason to go through security at MCI until it's time to board, because each gate has a security gate and once you're through security all you can do is sit at your gate with your thumb up your ass.

55 minutes ago, TornACL said:

But on the other hand, there's no reason to go through security at MCI until it's time to board, because each gate has a security gate and once you're through security all you can do is sit at your gate with your thumb up your ass.

Just went through MCI last week. They’ve torn down one of the old terminals and they’re building a brand new airport. They’ll finally have one main security gate. 

22 hours ago, 6th Street said:

I know a shit-ton of people on here know Bergstrom like the back of their hand, but the brisket breakfast burrito, if you're on an early connection is most satisfactory...

2 hours ago, hookem17 said:

Just went through MCI last week. They’ve torn down one of the old terminals and they’re building a brand new airport. They’ll finally have one main security gate. 

As long as they kept that hilarious display case that shows items not allowed through security, one of which is a full size chainsaw. 

DFW has gotten way better even though it's mostly chains. Shake Shack, Wing Stop, the two Pappas, Salt Lick. Haven't been to Terminal B in a while but they had good sit-down options on both ends.

PHL has also stepped it up, though I rarely eat there. Bud & Marilyn's is a great local place and they just opened a huge space at the front of Terminal C. There's also a Jim's Steaks in B, Geno's in B/C food court and Tony Luke's in F. So cheesesteaks are covered.

Everything always seems packed in LAX, PHX and the two Chicago airports. Kansas City just says fuck it, let people starve.

• Like 1

Everything always seems packed in LAX, PHX and the two Chicago airports. Kansas City just says fuck it, let people starve.

Yep.  LAX is a damn zoo.  However, if you rent a car (especially since new Uber LAX pickup is so f’ed up), there is an absolutely bad ass Greek restaurant called Aliki’s Greek Taverna directly across the street from Hertz at the SE corner of Airport and Westchester.  It right in front of super sketchy looking motel but restaurant is separate family owned business that is awesome.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:05 PM, drt said:

PDX has several good options, but I usually end up in hopworks or getting beer to go past security. Deschutes is also an option

I enjoy the less sucky Bayless torta joint in ohare. I’ve been told there are better options but I haven’t branched out yet. 

DIA I end up in Root Down. 

Henry's Tavern is also a solid option at PDX. PDX has a lot of good options.

I'm usually in SeaTac which as a whole really sucks for food and overpriced beer. Sadly I am usually more excited for Pei Wei at SeaTac than anything else, and also grabbing as many samples of Beachers cheese as possible.

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Tortas Frontera at O'Hare.

This.  Second time it was mentioned in this thread and it's legit.  The Milanesa is what I've always ordered. 

In FLL I love Sergio's near the C gates.  The chicken chimichurri plate with beans, rice, and fried plantains is excellent.  

IAH terminal B has a Whataburger.  

This.  Second time it was mentioned in this thread and it's legit.  The Milanesa is what I've always ordered. 
In FLL I love Sergio's near the C gates.  The chicken chimichurri plate with beans, rice, and fried plantains is excellent.  
IAH terminal B has a Whataburger.  

I think this place was the runaway favorite on the other sites thread that’s similar to this one.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:37 AM, Bartles said:

Ain't been roun' Termnal E since nigh-on and two 

Yes, Terminal E is the Wal-mart Terminal for sure (heavy Spirit presence).

if you are flying a small airplane to a small market city it was always Terminal B. For the longest time Terminal B didn't have a tsa precheck queue (I think they had the card out, and you still have to take your laptop out, and such?), so I'd go through precheck at Terminal A. The precheck line spits you out right at the Dallas Cowboys Bar/Grill, which has a pretty solid omelette if it's the first flight of the day. Otherwise you can go down to the Lorena y something-or-another Tapas place and they have a good South American breakfast with eggs and steak. There is a Johnston & Murphy at A30 where I've got my last few pairs of shoes and belts the past couple of years as well.

If it's lunch or dinner, I'd walk down to A16 where the Salt Lick is and order $30 worth of food and expense it. You can't get the ribs a la carte (per ounce, actually) like you can the sausage and brisket. From there the SkyBridge is up the escalator. 

However recently I've been eschewing that routine and going straight to Terminal B and eating Cousin's BBQ which is better than Salt Lick, really.

If you have time at DFW, the right play is to take Skylink to D and eat at one of the many fine options there. Especially the places in the corner areas of the terminal. 

Some spots are upstairs on the second floor, there is tons of room, and you can find a quiet table away from the idiot masses. In the right spot, it doesn't even feel like you're at the airport. 

• Like 1