Breaking news from Hawaii..

Bevo&Pevo

From the link above....

Security forces at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard in Hawaii responded to a shooting Wednesday afternoon, an official with Navy Region Hawaii public affairs said.

NBC affiliate KHNL of Honolulu reported that at least three people were injured,

The shooting at the shipyard, which is on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam occurred at around 2:34 p.m., Jackey Smith with Navy Region Hawaii public affairs said in a brief phone interview.

Smith said more information would be released when available. She could not confirm if there were any casualties.

I was stationed there at shipyard for 3 years.  Those fast attack subs are woefully undermanned and work 16+ hours a day while having duty every 3rd day.  I bet it was a nuke sailor of whatever sub was on drydock 2 said fuck it and picked out whoever he thought was causing him all this grief.  I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

I was stationed there at shipyard for 3 years.  Those fast attack subs are woefully undermanned and work 16+ hours a day while having duty every 3rd day.  I bet it was a nuke sailor of whatever sub was on drydock 2 said fuck it and picked out whoever he thought was causing him all this grief.  I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier.

Shipyard fucking blows.

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Heheh duty. 

Update:

A U.S. sailor fatally shot two civilian Defense Department employees and wounded a third at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard in Hawaii before killing himself, military officials said.

Rear Admiral Robert Chadwick said the civilian shipyard worker who was wounded was stable. The gunman has been tentatively identified as an active duty sailor assigned to a submarine, he said.

"We have no indication yet whether they were targeted or if it was a random shooting," Chadwick said.

The shooting happened around 2:30 p.m. at Dry Dock 2 in the shipyard at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Navy Region Hawaii spokeswoman Lydia Robertson said. The shooting forced the base into lockdown, but the scene has been secured.

One witness who did not give his name told NBC affiliate KHNL of Honolulu in a phone interview that he was at his desk and heard loud pops that he thought to be gunshots and looked out the window to see a person he thought was a shooter point a gun at his head and fire.

The identities of the gunman and the victims were not immediately released, pending notification of next of kin, Chadwick said. The survivor, a 36-year-old man, was in guarded condition, according to The Queen's Health Systems.

Chadwick said the gunman has been tentatively identified as being assigned to the USS Columbia submarine, which was at dry dock at the base for maintenance. He said the three people who were shot were men and were shipyard workers.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

What is A-Gang and what is XOI?

Engineering auxiliary gang. They work on pretty much anything that isn't directly related to propulsion. Think factory maintenance guys, jack of all trade types.

Executive Officer Interview.  A meeting with the XO to determine if you need to go to Mast.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Wow.  So just got the real story. A-Gang member just got out of XOI.  Was told he was going to get sent up to see the old man and after the ass chewing.  They gave him a gun and told him to go stand topside.   Really fucking smart

???

4 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Wow.  So just got the real story. A-Gang member just got out of XOI.  Was told he was going to get sent up to see the old man and after the ass chewing.  They gave him a gun and told him to go stand topside.   Really fucking smart

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Engineering auxiliary gang. They work on pretty much anything that isn't directly related to propulsion. Think factory maintenance guys, jack of all trade types.

Executive Officer Interview.  A meeting with the XO to determine if you need to go to Mast.

so he was about to get demoted?  or sent on a really bad assignment?  seriously do we have to bring a navajo in here to decode this?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

so he was about to get demoted?  or sent on a really bad assignment?  seriously do we have to bring a navajo in here to decode this?

He had done something to mess up.  XOI is the last stage of kangaroo court before you go see the Captain to determine your punishment.  Usually the standard is they take half a months pay for 2 month.  30 days of restriction. And then bump you down a rank.  Right after they told him he was going to see the Captain to get that.  He was sent topside to relieve the Topside sentry watch.  Basically the bouncer for a submarine.  He is issued a 9mm Beretta.  He shoots the 3 shipyard guys and then blows his brains out.  That entire chain of command will be relieved of duty

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

He had done something to mess up.  XOI is the last stage of kangaroo court before you go see the Captain to determine your punishment.  Usually the standard is they take half a months pay for 2 month.  30 days of restriction. And then bump you down a rank.  Right after they told him he was going to see the Captain to get that.  He was sent topside to relieve the Topside sentry watch.  Basically the bouncer for a submarine.  He is issued a 9mm Beretta.  He shoots the 3 shipyard guys and then blows his brains out.  That entire chain of command will be relieved of duty

They most likely will be relieved of command but the scenario that led up to the shooting happens all the time. Here's your ass chewing, by the way you're going to Mast and hey, now go stand your fucking watch. 

No telling why he took it out on the civilians. 

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I doubt we'll ever hear what the motive was. Maybe we will but I kind of doubt it. 

probably not, but it seems he thought the guys had something to do with it in his mind. 

Ive heard some pretty bad stories about situations like the one the killer was facing- if you’re the guy that screwed up. Like 3 months of night watch in the Arctic Circle or mowing dirt fields when the boat is in DD. It’s a pretty big humiliation.  

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Had some buddies that had to do 30 days restriction, that shit sounded like it sucked. 1/2 months pay x2 is a real kick in the nuts also. I would be more pissed about that part. 

Did it several times. When you can't leave the ship money don't mean nothing anyway and if you're not deployed getting off the ship ain't THAT much of a treat either. Can't go party in Norfolk, VA? Whoopty-doo.  Don't get me wrong, it sucks but it's not the end of the world. Pretty much like being at sea only you can see land.

In this dudes case I'm guessing it was something other than showing up late or drunk but if it had been anything serious he'd of been in the brig so it wasn't criminal. Weird deal. 

For context, on a ship there's a "restricted mens muster" twice or three times a day. All the dumbasses on restriction have to show up for a head count. Could be 2 or 3 guys or it could be a dozen but there's always somebody. Nobody got killed though. 

9 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Had some buddies that had to do 30 days restriction, that shit sounded like it sucked. 1/2 months pay x2 is a real kick in the nuts also. I would be more pissed about that part. 

I may or may not have had to stand tall before the man. 30 days restriction is a slap on the wrist. The pay cut is kind of a wash because you're restricted and can't spend it. 

I f'd up once and was restricted when we were in SD at Navy Pier. One night we ordered a pizza and I paid. Got the call the delivery guy was at at the gate so me and my buddy Mario go to pick it up. Halfway down the pier we meet the Captain and he stops up. He wants to know what we're doing in our work uniforms. We tell him we're not going ashore, just to the gate. He gives us a very well, remember the uniform code, blah, blah. Yes, Sir! Salute and on our way. About 2 steps later it hits me. I'm restricted to the ship. I just did a face to face with the man that placed me on restriction. I hand Mario a $20 and haul ass back to the ship then nonchalantly waltz past the quarterdeck and head for the rec area. I was sweating f'n bullets that it never never clicked to him.

On the bright side, I didn't kill anyone.

Edited by RPM