Recommend me a soft-shell jacket

I bought a Mountain Hardware ATherm a few years back and it is amazing. Went back last year to get another color, and its discontinued. Bummer. The Arcteryx Atom and North Face Ventrix are very similar soft shells. Looks like the Kor from Mountain Hardware replaced it, but without the Polartec Alpha insulation.

Patagonia anything, for ethical reasons.  Heard some interviews with founder/owner that triggered some more reading.  The company, its history, its ethos, its current day business practices are all legit.

Its functional clothing, not fashion, so Columbia and Marmot and Mammut and North Face are all all functionally identical.  They're all made in China with the same DWR and PrimaLoft and GoreTex and and Windstopper and polar fleece and whatever the fuck.  And they're all owned by big public companies, or, hell, the exact same conglomerate/holding company. 

So unless there's a specific cut or fit or design or color you're uniquely attracted to, at least support a company that has some values

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Parliament said:

"Micro fleece" lining is all the rage today, and I hate it.  Makes it too "rough" inside the sleeves and taking it on and off is a beating.  I need something slick in the sleeves.

Something less than $130 plz. Go

Your mom is slick in the sleeve.  
/kipD

North End All Climate Wear.  I have one where inner part covering the trunk is microfleece, but the inside of the sleeves is whatever waterproof hybrid material the outer shell is.  Mine came from Nautique Parts probably 12 years ago and still going strong.  They probably have one without custom logos somewhere.

Edited by dcbc

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

What’s different about Patagonia?

the garments?  nothing. 

the company, they participate in environmental activism and sustainability, promote reusability and recycleability, shun large private debt and investor-control, etc.  the original founder still runs the it ethically rather than selling out

is it all just the slickest marketing campaign?  doubt it, they have a good track record of doing what they preach

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

the garments?  nothing. 

the company, they participate in environmental activism and sustainability, promote reusability and recycleability, shun large private debt and investor-control, etc.  the original founder still runs the it ethically rather than selling out

is it all just the slickest marketing campaign?  doubt it, they have a good track record of doing what they preach

It's not just slick marketing..  I'm a big fan.   Good listen here...

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/06/572558864/patagonia-yvon-chouinard

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, G650 said:

Uh, no.

Patagonia performs significantly better than almost any other brand.

Yeah, patagonia stuff is pretty clearly better made and designed than most.  At one time, the nichey brands, even including North Face, were quite well made and "engineered."  Now most of them are mostly fashion.  Patagonia stands out.  Arcteryx and some of the brands only gearheads and mountaineers have heard of do too.

That said, I have been pretty pleased with the couple of Columbia things that I have.  Not as "critical" as patagonia, but functional.  Hell, I have a patagonia "monkey fur" fleece that is too warm to wear most of the time.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Uh, no.

Patagonia performs significantly better than almost any other brand.

they dont have exclusivity to any materials or construction of significance difference. 

take a basic coat which is a nylon/polyester shell with down fill.  same density fill, same down pocket sizes, and same fabric thickness, and the coats are going to have the same functional properties. 

my housebrand-stuff from decathlon performs just as well as patagonia and the rest of the assorted rei-stocked shit i have.  but buying from patagonia gives me more warm-fuzzies

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

they dont have exclusivity to any materials or construction of significance difference. 

take a basic coat which is a nylon/polyester shell with down fill.  same density fill, same down pocket sizes, and same fabric thickness, and the coats are going to have the same functional properties. 

my housebrand-stuff from decathlon performs just as well as patagonia and the rest of the assorted rei-stocked shit i have.  but buying from patagonia gives me more warm-fuzzies

Nope not true.  They build their clothes to be repaired and rebuilt.  I'd be willing to bet if took your housebrand stuff and carefully inspected it next to Patagonia you'd start to see a bunch of subtle differences.  Patagonia wants you to have 1 jacket you love and keep forever and they do things to help you achieve that goal.   Hell they will repair your Patagonia gear for life.  They are just as invested in that jacket after they sell it to you as they are when it's on the rack. If they built it the cheapest way possible they'd be one the hook 10 years down the road when they have to take the jacket apart to replace a zipper.  They think in the extreme longterm.

https://www.patagonia.com/returns.html

Edited by Loco
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

Nope not true.  They build their clothes to be repaired and rebuilt.  I'd be willing to bet if took your housebrand stuff and carefully inspected it next to Patagonia you'd start to see a bunch of subtle differences.  Patagonia wants you to have 1 jacket you love and keep forever and they do things to help you achieve that goal.   Hell they will repair your Patagonia gear for life.  They are just as invested in that jacket after they sell it to you as they are when it's on the rack. If they built it the cheapest way possible they'd be one the hook 10 years down the road when they have to take the jacket apart to replace a zipper.  They think in the extreme longterm.

https://www.patagonia.com/returns.html

i know their sustainable vision.  im selling them back an MLC bag so they can pass it on.  the policies are not dissimilar to the other reputable brands.  ive successfully invoked repairs and replacements for super old stuff from big agnes, rei, and so on. 

ultra long term durability is 1 thing sure.  but if we're just talking about a a normal garment for waterproofness, windproofness, warmth, whatever people need, all the other mass market stuff can do the same. 

if you want to spend just a tad more, and are conscious about your decisions, absolutely go with patagonia

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

i know their sustainable vision.  im selling them back an MLC bag so they can pass it on.  the policies are not dissimilar to the other reputable brands.  ive successfully invoked repairs and replacements for super old stuff from big agnes, rei, and so on. 

ultra long term durability is 1 thing sure.  but if we're just talking about a a normal garment for waterproofness, windproofness, warmth, whatever people need, all the other mass market stuff can do the same. 

if you want to spend just a tad more, and are conscious about your decisions, absolutely go with patagonia

Yeah I agree that the materials can be found in cheaper garments, but I think we agree the quality of construction is different.  Not magically light years different, but that little bit you pay more does get you a better product, better support, and supporting a company that does it right.   IMHO that's a lot of bang for the buck.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, 52-80 said:
2 hours ago, G650 said:

they dont have exclusivity to any materials or construction of significance difference

They actually do. I don't have time at the moment to go into all of it, but there are big differences. For the dude walking his dog and needs a rain coat, they will probably never notice, but someone climbing the Eiger or sailing across the ocean absolutely will. Even their wetsuits are better than the surf brands. Hell, they make workwear on par with Carhartt in its heyday.

The sustainability aspect is enough to get their stuff, but the gear is objectively superior as well.

I personally dont have a Patagonia rain shell anymore btw, as I think people who go for the athleisure look should be beaten with a rubber hose.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

They actually do. I don't have time at the moment to go into all of it, but there are big differences. For the dude walking his dog and needs a rain coat, they will probably never notice, but someone climbing the Eiger or sailing across the ocean absolutely will. Even their wetsuits are better than the surf brands. Hell, they make workwear on par with Carhartt in its heyday.

you dont think people dont walk their poodles up the eiger in the freezing rain?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Didn't know they make wetsuits, I will check those out.  We are supposed to go to the Galapagos Islands this summer and I have to get one for it.

They are fucking fantastic. They have a quilted capilene liner.

• Like 1

In the summer, Patagonia has a big sale on previous season's winter wear.  I picked up a down sweater (really just a down jacket) a few years ago that is my favorite winter jacket - IIRC I paid 50% of the $229 retail.  From what I can tell, the only thing they change year to year is the color palate.

10 hours ago, millhouse said:

Costco has a Kirkland signature one that is water and wind proof for less than $30. Other than that I'll echo Patagonia 

$16. worth the try for the price alone (also easy to return)

the patagonia soft shell is $149. I have a hard time believing it's x10 better than the Costco jacket 

Edited by tx 3 putt

18 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Not a softshell, but the Patagonia Better Sweater is the goat. I have three of those fuckers.

I only buy shells...  it's never cold enough to justify a sweater...  That way I can use it on Ski trips with a decent base-layer or like a rain jacket the 3-7 days a year a rainey cold-front pushes through.

Buy the best quality waterproofing you can get. (even on a soft shell)