49ers suspend radio analyst for kindaracist.jpg remarks

markstanco

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28227397/49ers-suspend-radio-analyst-tim-ryan-lamar-jackson-comments

BRADENTON, Fla. -- The San Francisco 49ers suspended radio analyst Tim Ryan on Wednesday after he said on a Bay Area radio station that Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson's dark skin helps him disguise a dark football when running fake handoffs in Baltimore's zone-read-heavy offense.

Ryan will not broadcast Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints while serving the suspension. The Niners released a statement on the matter Wednesday evening from Florida, where they are practicing at IMG Academy in preparation to play at the Saints after losing 20-17 to the Ravens last week

"We are disappointed in Tim Ryan's comments earlier this week, and have suspended him for the upcoming game," the statement said. "We hold Tim to a high standard as a representative of our organization and he must be more thoughtful with his words. Tim has expressed remorse in a public statement and has also done so with us privately. We know Tim as a man of high integrity and are confident he will grow and learn from this experience."

Ryan made the comments early in an interview on the "Murph & Mac" show on KNBR radio in San Francisco on Monday morning when discussing Jackson's success running the ball against the Niners. KNBR is the Niners' radio partner and broadcasts all of the team's games.

"He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said on air. "I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point."

Jackson led Baltimore to the win against the Niners after rushing for 101 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries and throwing for 105 yards and a touchdown on 14-of-23 passing. Much of that production in the running game came on the zone-read plays that have become a staple of Baltimore's offense with Jackson and offensive coordinator Greg Roman.

Jackson gained a career-high 70 yards on zone-read runs, the most a quarterback has rushed for on those plays since Robert Griffin III in 2013, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

So... When I played HS ball, our OL all started sporting some type of black gloves/pads one season.... Sure enough, holding calls increased. OL coach went nuts. He told them to get rid of the gloves because they stood out and looked like holding. They got rid of the gloves and holding calls dipped.

So... When I heard all this commotion about Jackson, my thought was, well yeah... He does a great fake and any camouflage of skin, ball, jersey adds to it... And with him, off you hesitate, you're screwed.

It was not, imbo, 'racist'.

Hell I hope our brown skin QBs and RBs execute threat fake with the brown ball against our brownorange jerseys....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Snacks said:

So... When I played HS ball, our OL all started sporting some type of black gloves/pads one season.... Sure enough, holding calls increased. OL coach went nuts. He told them to get rid of the gloves because they stood out and looked like holding. They got rid of the gloves and holding calls dipped.

this is why in college, gray was the only color glove the linemen could wear for a time (and still should be)

it matters

I think it's probably pretty far down the list of reasons why Lamar Jackson is really good at the fake, but at some level it matters. I also think it's not racist to point something like that out until you say "that's the only reason he's worth a shit" or something similarly odious. 

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I also think it's not racist to point something like that out until you say "that's the only reason he's worth a shit" or something similarly odious. 

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

An example of the vapid elevation of purported colorblindness as if it's some sort of virtue. How the fuck is pointing out someone's skin color a bad or racist action? 

The reason people get defensive is because they assume that the comment is an attempt to lead to the first post I quoted. Which in this case it obviously wasn't and therefore the fault truly lies with the people making that assumption.

There is no logical counterargument to the point that it is harder to tell if someone is holding something if their skin is close to the same color as the object.

Instead of worrying about how it might be some attempt to be subtly racist, what people should be asking is why their team's quarterback doesn't wear football colored sleeves.

Just now, Landomatic said:

Wait...Lamar Jackson’s datin a white girl?

No just pointing out sometimes they take the race baiting shit too far and say some totally crazy shit that even Stephen A Smiff was uncomfortable with. 

Who cares, he was making a valid point about his skin and black uniform disguising the mesh point. It's a good point, as said previously, QBs should wear long sleeve black UA to hide the mesh point if they run the read option and they don't have dark skin. Not racist at all, just seeing that the skin color could potentially provide an advantage in obscuring the view of the ball in the mesh. It's a good point, guys that are being read have a split second to make the decision to slow play, go for the back, or go for the QB. Any of which could get them burned if they choose wrong, and any of which could be harder to read if it's difficult to see the ball with a dark jersey and dark skinned arms. 

Jesus all these looneys are so uptight about race they don't even care what point you are making, anyone talking about race could be a target to them. I guess he should've spoken in more jargon to be sure to be inclusive to 'folks' who are peoples of colors.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The reason people get defensive is because they assume that the comment is an attempt to lead to the first post I quoted. Which in this case it obviously wasn't and therefore the fault truly lies with the people making that assumption.

There is no logical counterargument to the point that it is harder to tell if someone is holding something if their skin is close to the same color as the object.

Instead of worrying about how it might be some attempt to be subtly racist, what people should be asking is why their team's quarterback doesn't wear football colored sleeves.

Do the sleeves cover the hands?  

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Pointing out that a black person's dark skin gives him an advantage above and beyond his talent and skill is a little bit racist.

No it's not.  It's pointing something out.  True or not, dumb or not is debatable.  But it wasn't racist.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Pointing out that a black person's dark skin gives him an advantage above and beyond his talent and skill is a little bit racist.

I think you’re confused on the definition of racist.  It was in reference to his skin tone disguising the football.  It’s not like he said, “he’s fast because he’s black.”  That would be racist and fit your argument...when someone claims something is because of skin color that actually has nothing to do with skin color.

“You couldn’t even tell she was wearing white shorts because her skin is so white.”  = not racist

”She’s got no ass and she can’t dance because she’s so white.” = technically racist

Saying what Tim Ryan said, especially in San Francisco of all markets. = dumb but not racist

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This is fucking regarded when what matters is that dark colors look less distinct against other dark colors. Log off, bud.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I thought race was a social construct like gender

race is absolutely a social construct. i wrote my senior thesis at texas about this.

but that's neither here nor there. this due was talking about physical characteristics. he didn't say that lamar ran faster because he was black. he said his dark skin color and dark uniform made locating the ball more difficult. 

i mean. i dunno, that's true. sure maybe he should have exercised caution in what he said and how he said it. but, i mean, i don't sense any kind of real racism there. and i like to feel i'm pretty sensitive to racism. as someone above posted, he didn't go fast twitch muscle jimmy the greek on this shit. 

but yeah, as a media figure, you maybe should be more careful. take your slightly unfair suspension, but don't get fired. that's my hope for the big dummy.

As a HS outside linebacker who had to defend against a fast 6'6" black QB with huge hands, whose team wore maroon jerseys and ran the triple option, I can confirm there is something to what Ryan said. I've been saying the same thing about that guy I played since 1985. 

You could not see the fucking ball until you'd fucked up.