Austin students want professor fired for writings on age of consent; UT says it’s protected speech

Mappable

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Fuck NAMBLA, but some students tend to get in hysterics at the drop of a hat over over more innocuous things.

Nothing new, saw the same mentality in the early 1960s when integration cranked up.

....buuuut in this instance they're right and I hope mister pederast advocate is processed out of my university. 

Also I've only read references to teenage boys. Why is this exclusive to one sex? Say it's a 14 year old girl and this is an entirely different discussion. 

11 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

....buuuut in this instance they're right and I hope mister pederast advocate is processed out of my university. 

Also I've only read references to teenage boys. Why is this exclusive to one sex? Say it's a 14 year old girl and this is an entirely different discussion. 

bbd93643-9a46-4f7e-a126-d53e29a7a43b-m.jpg

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Slavery was socially accepted in much if not all of the world at one time or another throughout history. 
what do you suppose would happen if a UT professor decided to open a conversation about how we should maybe look at bringing slavery back?

some others have touched on this, and while some might consider that violence and subjugation (apropos on this thread, i reckon) are a fundamental part of the human condition, they do not necessarily match up to the biological imperative that begins at puberty.

we people have one goal and everything we do really orbits that. reproduction. this drive even lives in gay couples, as os many have adopted or had kids themselves.

and it all manifests itself in one thing: getting off.

that does things to our brains that are hard to explain. we go through the stupidest shit to get off. people have hung themselves to get off. people have married crazy people because that sex is so good.

and we do all this crazy stuff starting at puberty, and that's where things get very complex. just a blip of human history ago, teen marriage, conception and pregnancy were considered a normal thing. and we aren't talking 14 year old boys marrying 14 year old boys. we were talking 18+ boys marrying 13 year old girls. 

now there's an argument that marriage was largely a form of slavery then, as fathers frequently arranged who their daughters would marry - i would entertain that argument. 

but that biological imperative is important to consider as part of this argument. and that starts at puberty.

however, i've always found the idea of older gay men grooming and taking advantage of younger boys as creepy as i would consider a 20+ year old creeping on a 15 year old girl.

i do think of that as more societal than biological, though. we've drawn lines and live by them. it also wasn't all that long ago that hanging a horse thief was normal.

society progresses, but talking about how reproductive urges affect the teens among us can be a good thing. i just don't think that's what this dude is doing.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I think it's one thing to have an intellectual discussion about whether or not our sexual mores are repressed, outdated, paternalistic, etc. It's another thing to specifically advocate that the age of consent be lowered so that grown men can fuck teenage boys without repercussion. 

Almost exactly my take while reading that.

Ugh.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I agree with your bolded statement above.  Poorly worded on my part.  But even just acknowledging that the way kids, and women, were treated as no more than commodities, and attempting to take action to prevent it is a large step in the right direction from where we were even one hundred years ago, pablum or not.  Workplace regulations, rape related batter laws, and age of consent laws have all been attempts to draw a line in the sand, and have no doubt improved conditions from what they were.  But if we're going to let the perfect be the enemy of the good, we may as well just throw up our hands and tell predators to have at the kids without concern for consequences.

I probably came at you a little strong, there, sorry. 

I think we have some jacked up ideas about what our criminal and other "protective" laws do and don't do in terms of actually enhancing anyone's safety.  And we are particularly susceptible to actively harmful laws that prey on our fears.  Fears that themselves are unjustified, making the laws that address them even more unjustified.

One of those fears is the "child predator."  They exist, but are less common than you think, particularly those that are strangers to you.  A given child is many more times more likely to be victimized by a family member or close acquaintance than a random "predator."  The predators exist, but the last clear chance for avoidance in most cases is an engaged family, not a bunch of laws and registries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I probably came at you a little strong, there, sorry. 

I think we have some jacked up ideas about what our criminal and other "protective" laws do and don't do in terms of actually enhancing anyone's safety.  And we are particularly susceptible to actively harmful laws that prey on our fears.  Fears that themselves are unjustified, making the laws that address them even more unjustified.

One of those fears is the "child predator."  They exist, but are less common than you think, particularly those that are strangers to you.  A given child is many more times more likely to be victimized by a family member or close acquaintance than a random "predator."  The predators exist, but the last clear chance for avoidance in most cases is an engaged family, not a bunch of laws and registries.

How about the fact that we're all apparently FIERCELY protective of hypothetical 14 year old boys when it comes to creepy old guys, because "won't someone think of the children."  But when that same hypothetical 14 year old boy commits a crime, we're all "try him as an adult!!!"  (It particularly helps when he's a minority, but hell, we don't even have to go there).

There's unquestionably a double standard, and we seem to be a-ok with it.  That's messed up.  And by the way, I'm not on the "let anyone who wants to bang a 14 year old" side of the equation when it comes to fixing that double standard.  Rather, I think trying 14 year olds as adults is messed up.

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

How about the fact that we're all apparently FIERCELY protective of hypothetical 14 year old boys when it comes to creepy old guys, because "won't someone think of the children."  But when that same hypothetical 14 year old boy commits a crime, we're all "try him as an adult!!!"  (It particularly helps when he's a minority, but hell, we don't even have to go there).

There's unquestionably a double standard, and we seem to be a-ok with it.  That's messed up.  And by the way, I'm not on the "let anyone who wants to bang a 14 year old" side of the equation when it comes to fixing that double standard.  Rather, I think trying 14 year olds as adults is messed up.

Or how about that the creepy old guy is a predator, but when the 14 year old is banging his hot 28 year old female teacher, everyone is virtually high fiving and wondering where all the teachers like that were when they were in school. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Or how about that the creepy old guy is a predator, but when the 14 year old is banging his hot 28 year old female teacher, everyone is virtually high fiving and wondering where all the teachers like that were when they were in school. 

I have bolded the relevant portion for contrast with:

thomas_k_hubbard.jpeg

Because, double standard.

• Haha 1

So... this thread has morphed from a debate about whether John Q. Pederast, Ph.D. should be shitcanned for having an intellectual discussion about the age of consent based on historical cultural norms to an actual intellectual discussion about the age of consent based on historical cultural norms? Advantage pederast.

Also, I'm not about to go read this deviant's publications or defend his position, but it's got to be extremely easy to cherry pick a few quotes out of context from an academic article about a subject like this to put the guy in as bad a light as possible. Just saying.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Someone look at the title of the course he teaches and we will all understand where the liberal arts is worthless memes are born. 

Not only that. This is where dipshits take 100k+ in student loans out for degrees with minimal future earning power and then bitch when they can’t afford to live. 

22 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Slavery was socially accepted in much if not all of the world at one time or another throughout history. 
what do you suppose would happen if a UT professor decided to open a conversation about how we should maybe look at bringing slavery back?

Um, they would get poached to become a dean at Ole Miss?

57 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

congratulations_to_professor_thomas_hubb

Look into those eyes.  Look at that outfit.  Look at that facial hair.  That is the confident face of a man that has fucked over more teen boys than a navy recruiting station.  No other way anyone would event ATTEMPT to pull that look off.

That's the look of a man who wishes he was a junior high teacher at an all-boys prep school, instead of a college professor. 

4 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

congratulations_to_professor_thomas_hubb

Look into those eyes.  Look at that outfit.  Look at that facial hair.  That is the confident face of a man that has fucked over more teen boys than a navy recruiting station.  No other way anyone would event ATTEMPT to pull that look off.

Yeah, that totally disguises the massive double chin. 

On 12/5/2019 at 3:00 PM, burntorangebongos said:

I wonder if he is reasoning is influenced by writings like the novel, The last of the wine that takes place in Athens and features Socrates as a character. 

I remember stumbling onto this book in high school and being intrigued by the male homosexuality that figured prominently in it. The gist of the plot were that young dudes were courted by older men like they were debutantes and that they were encouraged to learn honor, courage, and dignity from the older man. But isn't that what a dad is for? Why do you have to be butt fucked to learn these things? 

New Surly motto?

On 12/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

The feeble minded and sjw would go bat shit.  Keep in mind we are in a thread talking about raising questions and issues on the periphery of cultural acceptance.  So in an age where you can choose to identify as whatever the fuck you want to why shouldn't someone be able to take the risk of arguing there is a place for chosen adult slavery.  Maybe it benefits their family or is a better existence than what they know or maybe, just maybe, they like being a cuck.  The view of slavery in this country is most influenced by the treatment of blacks in this country .  History has shown that not all forms of slavery were like this.  That said it is easy to see more often than not there were/are too many injustices to argue that any form of slavery is a positive thing.  Certainly if one was born or became a slave involuntarily. So while slavery has shown to abhorrent and wrong there should be room for anyone to argue that its existence in some form somewhere may be acceptable.  Then everyone else has the right to criticize and take action regarding how full shit that person and their idea is.  Maybe just maybe public tax dollars shouldn't fund that shit either, jmo.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I wondered what the reaction would be if he was discussing about the times when men could basically get a wife by over powering her and claiming ownership

or the idea that there is no religion and humans are just like other animals and thus if a stronger male can find whatever method to breed a female well he is just doing what he is naturally inclined to do....all the more so if he has a group of them that he dominates and physically fights off or even kills other males to keep control of...and of course he makes little contribution to the care and upbringing of any offspring

or if he was advocating for the idea that other species of animals including domesticated ones will breed mother to son, father to daughter, and brother to sister so why are humans not doing that (which of course we all know the genetic issues associated with that) but hey other animals give that no consideration so why are all humans expected to give consideration to that

I am of course not advocating for any of those ideas, but similar to what you said about slavery and the acceptability of it at one time or another (or still in some places on earth even today along with caste systems) one has to wonder what the reaction of academia and university administrations and the larger student body would be if he was advocating other ideas

or what would the reaction be if he was looking at India even in present times and advocating that the USA and other westernized countries consider going to arranged marriages for the "benefits" of daughters and families

Renu Khator the current president of UH is in an arranged marriage and has talked about it somewhat extensively and when her own daughters were married she commented that while she likes the choices they made in husbands she still would not have been opposed to them being Indian and having a lot more say so in the process....but she recognizes that is not what always happens here in the USA

further I wonder what many protesting students would be called if this professor was advocating for the treatment of women according to shria laws....which of course a lot of academia seems to give a massive pass to or even embraces

now if he was advocating for fucking sheep well aggy would be protesting that they did not hire him first and be offering him $7.5 million a year to come teach for them

Edited by ButtFumble

18 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I wondered what the reaction would be if he was discussing about the times when men could basically get a wife by over powering her and claiming ownership

or the idea that there is no religion and humans are just like other animals and thus if a stronger male can find whatever method to breed a female well he is just doing what he is naturally inclined to do....all the more so if he has a group of them that he dominates and physically fights off or even kills other males to keep control of...and of course he makes little contribution to the care and upbringing of any offspring

or if he was advocating for the idea that other species of animals including domesticated ones will breed mother to son, father to daughter, and brother to sister so why are humans not doing that (which of course we all know the genetic issues associated with that) but hey other animals give that no consideration so why are all humans expected to give consideration to that

I am of course not advocating for any of those ideas, but similar to what you said about slavery and the acceptability of it at one time or another (or still in some places on earth even today along with caste systems) one has to wonder what the reaction of academia and university administrations and the larger student body would be if he was advocating other ideas

or what would the reaction be if he was looking at India even in present times and advocating that the USA and other westernized countries consider going to arranged marriages for the "benefits" of daughters and families

Renu Khator the current president of UH is in an arranged marriage and has talked about it somewhat extensively and when her own daughters were married she commented that while she likes the choices they made in husbands she still would not have been opposed to them being Indian and having a lot more say so in the process....but she recognizes that is not what always happens here in the USA

further I wonder what many protesting students would be called if this professor was advocating for the treatment of women according to shria laws....which of course a lot of academia seems to give a massive pass to or even embraces

now if he was advocating for fucking sheep well aggy would be protesting that they did not hire him first and be offering him $7.5 million a year to come teach for them

You do realize that arranged marriages are also for the perceived benefits of sons too, right? And it was an extremely common practice in the Western world especially among European royalty. So not sure how that would be remotely similar of advocating of the treatment of women according to sharia.

I still think this guy is more of a very sophisticated troll, basically.

You think about it, he's a professor and academic of classics, one of the oldest fields of study, because it studies the oldest shit we've got.  As a graduate student, he has to come up with some new field or topic of research and writing in this hoary old field.  The more original and outrageous, the better.

So he picks this and gets so neck-deep in it he can barely distinguish reality anymore.  Plus, people just HAVE to talk about it.  In an academic universe, it's gold, Jerry, gold.

47 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

You do realize that arranged marriages are also for the perceived benefits of sons too, right? And it was an extremely common practice in the Western world especially among European royalty. So not sure how that would be remotely similar of advocating of the treatment of women according to sharia.

I was not comparing arranged marriages to shria

I was going through a number of things that would not be popular topics (well with some anyway depending on the topic) while other topics would get a pass from them

scattershooting:

if it's high-fives for the 15-year-old quarterback, how do we feel about the 28-year old supermodel teacher scissoring the ultra-hot 15 year old cheerleader?  what about the martha dumptruck tuba player?  is one exploitative, and the other commendable?

how many of us had sexual experiences before the age of 14, or with others under the age of 14 when we had not yet reached the age of consent?  does this make both participants criminals?

my first 2 intercourse partners were less than 4 months younger than me, but i was 16 and they were 15.   in the early 80s this was normal.  was that illegal?

the age of consent in california, arizona and florida is 18.  this means every day hundreds of thousands of sex crimes are committed by "kids" under 18 in those states.

the mormons in 1850s Deseret needed to rapidly increase their population to get enough of-age males to justify a statehood memorial in washington, so they actively encouraged boys age 14 and girls age 13 to "go to it and get married, or rather get married and go to it".

the prof may be "non-appealing" because he looks like a fag, but this subject deserves a true academic treatment and as a society we would benefit from a frank open discussion of our behavior as animals that have an "uncontrollable" programming to get off.