Florida >> armed robbery >> UPS truck jacking >> fatal shooting

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Street/patrol cops should not be allowed to carry guns.

Given this countries adoration and propensity for promoting self-defense through gun ownership, this is a retarded statement. Our police problem is one in same and has gotten us away from credence of 'To Protect And To Serve' (the public) and we have arrived at "I've got to make it home safe and alive to my family".

There are way too many pussies with guns out there, way too many sad/desperate/angry people, and way too many armed criminals. If one needs a gun, you probably need it in the next 10 seconds. Police officers need guns.

But they also need much higher hiring standards, increased pay, less stigma for addiction PTSD and depression, and to drill back into that motto "To Protect And To Serve".

Given this countries adoration and propensity for promoting self-defense through gun ownership, this is a retarded statement. Our police problem is one in same and has gotten us away from credence of 'To Protect And To Serve' (the public) and we have arrived at "I've got to make it home safe and alive to my family".
There are way too many pussies with guns out there, way too many sad/desperate/angry people, and way too many armed criminals. If one needs a gun, you probably need it in the next 10 seconds. Police officers need guns.
But they also need much higher hiring standards, increased pay, less stigma for addiction PTSD and depression, and to drill back into that motto "To Protect And To Serve".

Cops kill nearly 1,000 civilians per year. Civilians kill fewer than 100 cops a year. Cops are ten times more dangerous to civilians than the other way around.

I'm sure many of those killings are truly defensive or are neutralizing someone dangerous. But we know they're often not necessary. Cops are killing fewer unarmed civilians in recent years only due to increased scrutiny.

I'm with you in that there are multiple issues at play here. No doubt. However, if we're going to put one party of the cop-civilian interaction in increased danger, that burden should go on the cop. It's what they signed up for, what they're paid for, what they're trained and equipped for, even without a firearm. They've proven without a shadow of a doubt that they can't handle guns.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

I've heard that in Britain,  patrol cops don't carry guns. Assuming that is actually true, it would be interesting to compare the statistics. Of course that is complicated by the fact that the bad guys and the general public have far fewer guns as well.