2020 Little League Thread of Dominance

pepper brooks

Pending what Abbott says today, our league is apparently looking at restarting games on June 6 and running through most of July to finish the season. They're talking about things like having only 1 ump and putting them behind the pitcher, limiting the dugout to the first 3 players in the batting order when your team is hitting, having designated areas for the other kids, etc. Of course, getting the kids to stay away from one another will be the trick. Should be interesting. Normally CenTex All Stars runs through June. I guess that probably just won't happen this year.

Somewhat related: My 16 yo's volleyball team started practicing again on Friday, but outdoor in the sand, everyone with their own ball, just doing ball control and conditioning drills with distance between everyone. That went pretty well.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, jkates said:

Our league is also waiting for the Governor's words today. I think we'll make a go/no-go decision in the next couple of days. We can't keep dragging it out.

Governor Abbott said Little League can open on May 31st. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jkates said:

Governor Abbott said Little League can open on May 31st. 

Yep. Looks like that's what we're probably gonna. 

I wonder if the high schools will get their June camps going, too.

our all-star season ran the weekend before and during father's day - it's a very limited season - but hoping this will coincide with our league in houston. we don't play a summer season so hoping we can just push everything into the summer season and at least play a few games so it's not a total wash. it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out and what we actually end up doing. at least this is me talking optimistically - we've been working out 2-3 times a week since the season ended up not the same as actual game experience. 

*fingers crossed*

5 hours ago, jkates said:

I just received a text message that says, "POLL (Post Oak Little League) canceled officially - unanimous board decision."

Boo.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Sounds like we're gonna start practice on the 31st and start playing games on June 20th. Maybe a 2-weekend all-star tourney at the end of July.

Yes!!

As a Board Member in our league, I'm in charge of the youth umpires and the scheduling for all ages. It's going to be a ton of work and a total cluster if we end up having a short season. So....a big part of me wants us to cancel.

But, for the sake of the children, a part of me wants to play/coach.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You guys going to be sharing helmets and catching gear?  Allowing high fives?

We already don't share batting helmets. Use of catcher's gear will have to be addressed. No post-game high fives or handshake line. We'll probably only allow a certain number of kids in the dugout with the rest beside or behind, spaced out. Hand sanitizer available. A designated safety rep. Limited spectators, spaced out, masks encouraged. 

Personally, I don't think much of that matters for the kids. They are going to run, sweat, and jump all over each other. 

Best of luck to all  !

No matter the level achieved,  we all can remember our Little League days.

Not frequently in public due to protocol,  but when at the grocery market and see kids,  it is noticeable they are not happy as before.  May this be the first step in a safe, healing process.   

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 2:58 PM, jkates said:

We'll see. Devil's in the details. But I'm choosing optimism! 

On 5/19/2020 at 5:47 PM, bschoolprof said:

Boo.

Yes!!

Yeah, so ... it was looking really good. Then they talked to the lawyers. Game over. Liability is too big and the potential cases too winnable by the plaintiffs if a kid gets sick.

expect our league to announce cancellation in the next day or two.  The conditions LLA and the state have set out as requirements are simply not attainable or feasible.  Disinfecting dugouts after every game, social distancing, one in/out for restrooms, no concessions operating, etc.  Logistically that just doesn't work and even if you tried it it's not going to be a great experience for the kids.  

has anyone checked the USSSA site and seen that absurd waiver they're requiring, and also note they have raised prices $105 per tourney to $625 now.  Nations has no such waiver and still $425 for an event. Looks like if your tournament team plays this summer it will be all nations.  

Edited by pepper brooks

LT will announce 5/25 or so. Expecting to have a season. I’m glad, my youngest just made it to national league after 3 seasons on the edge. He played one game competitively, had a successful tag out at the plate where he threw off his helmet went for the wild pitch he blocked and recovered to make the tag. Just that kind of moment where you see hours of explaining and coaching coming together then - WHAM! Covid. My middle son is in his last season and hasn’t won shit, ever. He cried to me last season that he just wanted to win once. Well he got on THE team this spring. And WHAM! covid. These two boys really do seem to need this spring more than any other season. I hope they get it.

• Like 1

When I posted about the cancellation before, it wasn't official yet. It is now. Just got the email. 

It's really too bad, not just for my kid, but for all of them. They're in 14U now and most of them have been playing together since they were 8 or 9. They've taken their lumps over the years, but had a lot of heart and have steadily improved. They are finally at that age where a lot of the mental stuff starts coming together and they're really developing physically.

The little bit that we got to do in the Fall and this Spring was just a blast, and they were looking really good. We were absolutely loaded, had tons of pitching, hitting, speed, and defense. We were definitely ready to make a run for the Centex Championship.

Little did we know that the season would end 2 games into it, and most of the 14 YOs' rec baseball careers would be over just like that, with no warning. It really sucks for them. Some of them might go on to play HS ball, but even if they do, they likely will be playing for different schools. Ah, well. Time to go try to make some lemonade outta these lemons...

PLEASE, PLEASE take your kid's arm into account. 

I know everyone wants to get back into games and tournaments but unless they have been throwing regularly the last couple of months jumping into heavy games (especially if your kid pitches) can do long term damage to their development. 

Winning or losing a youth game/tournament isn't nearly as important than their continued safe development. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoffaJimmy said:

PLEASE, PLEASE take your kid's arm into account. 

I know everyone wants to get back into games and tournaments but unless they have been throwing regularly the last couple of months jumping into heavy games (especially if your kid pitches) can do long term damage to their development. 

Winning or losing a youth game/tournament isn't nearly as important than their continued safe development. 

Good luck! 

This is a big deal. Without proper arm conditioning suddenly using the arm for in game throwing can be really bad, especially for kids going through a lot of growth.

I've seen several kids blow out an arm during games and its not pretty. See you next year type injuries.

Playing in a tournament in Lafayette this weekend. No hand shakes. Just stand on lines and tip hats to each other

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's the protocol in Houston too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our league is squeezing an 11 game schedule in over the next month+. In our first practice I explained to the kids how appreciative they should be that so many people worked so hard to make sure they have a season. 

Lots of requirements and regulations and it will seem very different but they get to play their 12-year-old baseball season. 

• Like 1

City league cancelled. Travel team is picking up one off games here and there and tournaments were moved to July mostly.

got a 250 mile drive to eastern Montana this weekend for a pair. 

also, in yesterday’s game my son got jammed pretty good and his bat is now boomerang shaped. 11 years olds played a team of 12s and were pretty competitive. 

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

I was there. Not much distancing going on unfortunately. Probably caught the Rona.

Funny. People gave zero fucks. The notes were all "Coaches who get within 6' of umps will be ejected". Coaches and umps were not following that plan. Obviously fans could give a shit. There were LOTS of people who per who Covid is impacting (Obese and/or older) should not have been there.

We started this week with both softball and baseball. Our girls 8u team looked amazing. We don’t know what happened (only had 2 practices). 3 games in before the covid they were getting their asses kicked. All of the sudden, making plays and teeing off at the plate. 2-0, 7 game season I think. Daughter was 3-4 with a couple great hits and got 3 outs in the first game back.

The boys did the opposite. We lost our best player (family didn’t want to risk anything) and 2 teams folded. We picked up a kid (worst player in the league - literally). Game on Tuesday and they all look terrible. It looked like they didn’t know anything. We had 4 practices over the last 2 weeks. No one knew where the ball was supposed to go, half of them in lala land. 2nd kid at bat hit the ball and ran to 3rd. My son played pitcher and 1st. He used to go after everything at pitcher, now he moves out of the way (more like tap dancing). At 1B he didn’t stop any throws his way. We had a couple sure outs and he just didn’t move to the ball. Frustrating.

Last, kid we picked up has a helicopter dad. If dad would lay off I think kid would be better. Dad was a coach on one of the folded teams. He’s trying to insert himself on our team, which would be fine, but he’s only interested in coaching his kid. We can only have 2 coaches on the field and they are both needed. Sucks when 1 is working all of them and the other is working 1. My wife told me to forget about it and let head coach handle it. I think head coach is too nice. Game 2 tonight, we’ll see what happens.

Game last night was ho hum. Having problems keeping a lot of these kids focused on the game. 6u, so I’ve got some 5 yr olds out there that like to watch life pass them by. Lost by 1.

Positive note, son recorded 2 outs playing pitcher and hit a legit home run (I say legit because in tball there can be a lot of over throwing). He hits off the pitch a lot during games, but struggles on the tee. I’m the coach at home, so and I set up the tee I told him to block everything out, it’s just him and the ball on the tee; just like home. It worked! I wish I had a picture of the look on his face as he rounded 3rd. He couldn’t believe he was being waved on. Pure joy!

• Like 1