Anyone use a weighted blanket?

Sbbruin

I got my fiancee (no pics) one for her birthday, and she loves it.  Her daughter (also no pics) also has one and can't live without it.

If you tend to sleep cold and/or you want the deep pressure calming effect that some people get from 'em, then you might want to try one.  I tend to sleep warm and don't like a ton of covers, so it's not for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pacman said:

Same as Carl here. Wife loves it but she sleeps in a tomb of blankets.

I can't do it for deep sleep because I get way too hot while sleeping. I will occasionally nap with it, if the house is cold enough.

Ditto. I got one off Amazon and tried it a couple nights, but it didn't take. Too hot and I toss and turn around a lot at night so it became overly restrictive. 

i've had restless leg syndrome for 20 years.  noticed it was worse after physical activity.  only cure for it was having pillows under the knees or having heavy cushions over my legs.  spent a lot of nights on the sofa because the cushions provided convenient solutions for that. probably once or twice a week i'd be on the sofa. 

my wife bought a 20lb weighted blanket for my birthday in aug 2018.  instant change in sleep quality.  i haven't slept on the sofa once since then.  it's amazing.  i've tried the cheaper ones from amazon but they don't work as well as mine because mine have the weighted beads sewn in to smaller quilt-like boxes and the weight doesn't redistribute as much.  not sure which brand this is exactly but if you're interested i can find out.

16 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Then I’m out cuz I can’t sleep if I’m hot.  Thx

I absolutely can't sleep when hot, but if I cool down the room enough, the weighted blanket really does help with sleep. I toss and turn substantially less and wake up less often. When my wife forgets to turn on the heat before a temp drop, I sleep like a champ in the mid 60s.

• Like 1

Bought one for my wife a year ago; she had issues sleeping.  Picked up a Queen size (we have a King bed) so she could use it and I wouldn't have the blanket on my side of the bed.    They come in different weights (hers is a 20 lb model).

She absolutely loves it.

Oh, as posted above, make sure it's the beaded blanket with the small square quilted thing to keep the beads from settling in one area.  

My wife got me one a while back. I liked it but I would wake up in a pool of sweat, I mean standing water on my chest and arms. And my room gets cool in the winter months but it still made me sweat like hell. I don't use it anymore but it works as far as getting me relaxed and to sleep quickly.

23 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

my wife bought a 20lb weighted blanket for my birthday in aug 2018.  instant change in sleep quality.  i haven't slept on the sofa once since then.  it's amazing.  i've tried the cheaper ones from amazon but they don't work as well as mine because mine have the weighted beads sewn in to smaller quilt-like boxes and the weight doesn't redistribute as much.  not sure which brand this is exactly but if you're interested i can find out.

11 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Oh, as posted above, make sure it's the beaded blanket with the small square quilted thing to keep the beads from settling in one area.  

so...whats the brand?

25 minutes ago, achooloco said:

so...whats the brand?

Had to look it up, here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073451HTY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Interestingly, it's cheaper now than when I bought it. And I stand corrected; I purchased her a 15lb blanket, not a 20.

Oh, weight recommendations.  They are all over the place; my wife weighs 125, and some recommendations say that is too much blanket for her, while other recommendations state that is the correct weight.  I do know this; once you get under it it's a heavy bitch.  I tried it out myself, but didn't care for it.

One of my pet peeves is when getting into a tightly made bed I have to untuck the bedding by the sheets, as I hate having weight on my toes if I'm lying on my back.  Same thing if it's hot and we've got the comforter bunched up down around the wooden footboard of our bed.

do these weighted blankets feel restrictive like that?

My wife sleeps very poorly; she usually takes an Ambien and crashes out at 9:30 but is up at 3. . .I can tell because all of a sudden the darkness starts to brighten when she gets on her phone.  Maybe something like this would help her sleep better?  The older I get, the earlier I wake up - it's been a few months since I slept later than 6, can't do it, even when I try.

Thinking this might be an awesome Christmas gift.

18 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

One of my pet peeves is when getting into a tightly made bed I have to untuck the bedding by the sheets, as I hate having weight on my toes if I'm lying on my back.  Same thing if it's hot and we've got the comforter bunched up down around the wooden footboard of our bed.

My wife sleeps very poorly; she usually takes an Ambien and crashes out at 9:30 but is up at 3. . .I can tell because all of a sudden the darkness starts to brighten when she gets on her phone.  Maybe something like this would help her sleep better?  The older I get, the earlier I wake up - it's been a few months since I slept later than 6, can't do it, even when I try.

yes the weighted blanket is like that, you won't like it.  the good thing is they usually come in twin sizes, so she can use the weighted blanket and you won't be affected at all.  that's what my wife and i do.  

one other thing we had to be careful about was not letting our then 1 yr old get trapped or sleep under the blanket.  it's heavy enough to suffocate them. 

On 12/7/2019 at 10:39 PM, Sandman said:

My wife got me one a while back. I liked it but I would wake up in a pool of sweat, I mean standing water on my chest and arms. And my room gets cool in the winter months but it still made me sweat like hell. I don't use it anymore but it works as far as getting me relaxed and to sleep quickly.

Username doesn't really check out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Discussed weighted blankets with my wife last night and she's interested.  Should I buy one king sized blanket @20 lbs, or two twin sized blankets so that we each have our own?

two twins.  especially since you like the feeling of liberated toes.

Narrator:  "and that's when the company spun-off its new blanket scale division...reaping a fortune large to buy enough horses for the entire H.S. Water Polo team."  

Edited by Lobo

Don't spoil it for him, it's so cute when people figure out my old handle on the old site after three years.  Seriously though, I would have never thought this weighted blanket thing would take off in Texas but you see them everywhere now (despite the sweat factor).  My scale idea would have taken off if not for me being on the spectrum and focusing only on the metric system because it just makes more sense.  

Jokes aside, has anybody used one of these with their young children?  My four year old moves around insanely when she sleeps, it's getting dangerous.  But she also sweats a lot when she sleeps despite being underweight with her mom's metabolism.  I think a light one of these could help calm her down too when going to sleep.  

Don't spoil it for him, it's so cute when people figure out my old handle on the old site after three years.  Seriously though, I would have never thought this weighted blanket thing would take off in Texas but you see them everywhere now (despite the sweat factor).  My scale idea would have taken off if not for me being on the spectrum and focusing only on the metric system because it just makes more sense.  
Jokes aside, has anybody used one of these with their young children?  My four year old moves around insanely when she sleeps, it's getting dangerous.  But she also sweats a lot when she sleeps despite being underweight with her mom's metabolism.  I think a light one of these could help calm her down too when going to sleep.  
That's the thing I dont remember your handle, were you trying to sell mattress scales? What was the story with that?

19 hours ago, Lobo said:

My 7 year old started using one occasionally when he was 5.  It helped.  My niece also started using one when she was 6, she's used it for a couple years now.  She has sensory issues and staying asleep was hard for her but the weighted blanket greatly improved that.  

On 12/7/2019 at 9:36 AM, gsoda3 said:

i've had restless leg syndrome for 20 years.  noticed it was worse after physical activity.  only cure for it was having pillows under the knees or having heavy cushions over my legs.  spent a lot of nights on the sofa because the cushions provided convenient solutions for that. probably once or twice a week i'd be on the sofa. 

My mom has horrible RLS and I can feel the beginnings of it for me occasionally. I'm going to get her one for Christmas, thanks for the info. 

I've considered one for myself, I sleep very hot but also use a really thick comforter because I like the weight.

One of my sons does. He loves it. We don’t travel with it or anything but when he’s sleeping at home it’s in daily use. 

He has had some sensory stuff throughout years. Couldn’t have tags in clothes, shoes had to be tied incredibly tight, only dri-fit type fabric shirts etc. 

On 12/9/2019 at 8:31 AM, BearSchlong said:

"Lupe...no tuck por favor".

• Like 1