Hillary on Howard Stern

Gil Bang

On 12/6/2019 at 2:49 PM, Jive Turkey said:

If only she’d done this before the 2016 election. 

19 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

He tried publicly to get her on. She had some real dumb shits advising her. 

In his latest book, he talks about this a bit.  Here's an excerpt:

Spoiler

I saw long before anyone else that it wasn’t going to be easy for her to beat Donald. I didn’t see her connecting. My audience spans the entire country, including the swing states. I know these people. They’ve been listening to me my entire career. I could tell that they were just not feeling Hillary and that they were really embracing Donald. As I said in this book’s introduction, I consider Donald Trump one of the best radio guests ever. He just knows how to connect with an audience. Hillary does not.

I was talking to my agent, Don Buchwald, about this. I said, “If Hillary did the show, my listeners might appreciate her commitment to public service and her decency and humanity.”

Don immediately became obsessed with this idea. We both did. We wanted to do whatever we could to make it happen.
This wasn’t the first time we set our sights on a Moby Dick–type interview subject. In the early nineties, we tried to arrange an interview with Michael Jackson. He was looking to rehabilitate his image after the child molestation allegations, and his team reached out to us. They had the idea of me organizing some kind of rally in his honor in New York. I thought that was stupid and had my own idea of doing a TV sit-down with him at halftime during the Super Bowl. Don and I got as far as meeting Michael at his manager’s Central Park apartment. Michael walked in dressed in his full military getup and the tape on his nose. We talked for about ten minutes. I couldn’t stop staring at all the makeup on his face, which was practically dripping off. He was like the Elephant Man. After the meeting, we never heard from him again.

I knew I probably shouldn’t get my hopes up about Hillary. I couldn’t help it. I really believed that by coming on my show she would win over the type of voters she so desperately needed. I also thought my time on AGT might have made me more palatable in her eyes. I had been so astonished and humbled by how the American public had come to embrace me, thanks to that show. 

Thinking about the Michael Jackson Super Bowl idea and AGT, Don and I wondered if TV was the answer. Maybe Hillary would be more willing to do an interview on camera than on the radio. As fervently as I’ve championed the radio format throughout my career, I know there are still plenty of people who see TV as more desirable. There were a few big TV networks that had been after me to host an interview show. It wouldn’t be a regular thing, just a few specials. SiriusXM was cool with it, since it didn’t conflict with my radio show. But I’m very loyal to Sirius, and I wouldn’t consider doing one of these TV specials unless it was for a really big guest.

The head of one of these networks was a huge financial backer of Hillary. Don went to him and said, “You get Hillary, and we’ll get equal time with Trump. Then you’ll get two specials."

It would’ve been easy to get Trump for an interview. All throughout the campaign he had been reaching out to me. He even asked me to speak at the Republican National Convention. In my calculation, all I’d have to do is ask and he’d do it.
So this network honcho presents the idea to Hillary. And she says no.

This only makes Don more determined. He’s got a lot of connections of his own in the Democratic Party. Don went to them. He told them that we would even be willing to do a rehearsal before the show, so Hillary could see the line of questioning ahead of time. I wasn’t going to bring up Monica Lewinsky. The old me would have tried that. That would have been the first thing I said. Now I see how that could only be viewed as an attack. I wasn’t interested in that anyway. The interview would have been, “Who are you as a person? What makes you tick? Talk to me about your life as a young girl. What were your dreams? When did you first realize you wanted to be in politics?” I could have talked about her childhood for an hour. I wanted to get to know her as a human being. That Lewinsky stuff is pointless unless you get to know her first. Hearing her talk about the disappointments in her life? The audience would’ve fallen in love with her.

I’m telling you, I was obsessed with this. I was Captain Ahab. I wanted it more than anything. I did all this research on her and discovered she liked gardening. I ordered a huge gift basket of gardening supplies, thinking I’d send it to her.

The basket was enormous. There was all sorts of gardening crap in there, like packets of seeds. Then I reconsidered. I thought that might be coming on a little strong. That’s not me. I don’t beg. What I did instead was agree to give an interview to the New York Times. They had contacted me a while before about doing a profile. I said no. I hate doing interviews. I hate being on the other side of the microphone. I told Don to tell them yes.

The article came out, and we heard nothing from her campaign. Then Don remembered this writer at the Washington Post who had been after him for a  while about interviewing me. A few days after the Times story, another one dropped in the Post. This headline was even more direct: “Howard Stern Makes His Pitch: Why Hillary Clinton Should Do My Show.” If you look at that interview and the Times story, I’m basically telling her the plan. I don’t do that with guests, but I wanted her to know that she didn’t have to worry. She’d be in good hands. She could trust me.

The Post story came out. Again, we heard nothing from her.

Then I saw her in the debates. Donald was shredding her. He knew how to do this. He was talking like a dude. He was saying things in a clear and definite way. People were digging it.

I don’t want to sound arrogant. I don’t want to say that I could’ve tipped the election. But how many votes did she actually lose by? In Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida—a couple thousand votes here, a couple thousand votes there. SiriusXM has thirty-three million subscribers in America. We consider each of these to represent at least two people, since households often share a subscription. Do the math. Because I can’t—multiplication isn’t my strong suit. I’m not saying all SiriusXM subscribers are Howard Stern listeners. But let’s just say that half are. Would that not have done something?

All it would have taken is for some guy to go, “You know, I work hard for a living. I drive a truck. I’m a contractor. I’m a store owner. I heard Hillary Clinton on the Howard Stern Show talking about her passion for people, and I was damn impressed."

Who knows what would have come out of our conversation. Some little story that people could identify with. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve done an interview where someone in my audience writes me and says, “I never cared about Lady Gaga.” Or, “I never listened to Sia.” Or, “I always hated Rosie O’Donnell.” And then they go, “But damn I love her now!”

To some people it wouldn’t have mattered what we talked about. Just the fact that she had the guts to show up might’ve done the trick.

So why didn’t she? I’ll tell you why. She was afraid. She got tight. She thought it was in the bag, and she thought, “I could go talk to Howard and really screw things up.” She thought it was a gamble. In my mind, the gamble was not coming on the show.

I was right. Had she done the show, it might’ve changed the election.”

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yes, calling her a POS is obsession. I think it's more you're obsessed with the idea I'm obsessed with her.

Your selectivity and frequency is almost impossible not to notice. But I'm all ears- list all the heinous acts committed by Hillary "since before she stepped into the national spotlight" that has rendered her a POS in your eyes.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yes, calling her a POS is obsession. I think it's more you're obsessed with the idea I'm obsessed with her.

I don't think I've said much about her since she finally did go back to ground for a while.  Meaning yeah, if the Hillary thread pops up I'm gonna more than likely post something about her.  Ohhh noes.... obsession. 

She's still testing the waters.  She has nightly, fitful visions of riding in on her broom.... err ........ white charger, and saving the day by winning the 2020.  

THAT my friend is obsession.

Please tell us more about her emails and what a terrible president she would make. I mean you couldn't possibly think of anyone worse than this woman

Edited by Michael Knight

13 hours ago, Nivek said:

I disagree with so much. Hillary was the victim of a successful multi-decade long smear campaign that worked. So many people don’t like her and even hate her for exactly no reason.

She was a fine candidate, experienced, poised, but she made enemies because she had something so many people were afraid of, guts. She is smart and accomplished. She likely kept her personality hidden and hardened because she grew up in a time when the rules of conduct were more different than today based on gender.

Russians and Facebook took advantage of the smear campaign and shifted the election. If we had a real government we would have stopped this and/nullified the results in favor of a do over. The media trying to play it even was even more asinine. Those idiots got played. They were never going to win over the morons who watch alex jones. Intelligent media does not appeal to rush/fox/oan viewers. Never will.

Facebook should be taken over by the government since they cannot seem to stop being fuckheads.

One of the things I've found befuddling and frustrating is the number of people who will volunteer how much they hate Hillary but are hard pressed to explain why. After mumbling something about her being some kind of crook, they just repeat the I hate Hillary talking points. I'm most angry about the fact that we'll never get to see her grap Putin by the pussy and make him behave.

• Like 2

Hillary hasn't done anything worse than most mainstream politicians in terms of bad acts or terrible specific behaviors. The idea of her as a murderer is especially hilarious in its stupidity as is the whole Benghazi thing of troops saying, "WE CAN SAVE THEM!" and Hillary saying, "NO I WANT THEM TO DIE FOR SOME REASON!"

16 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Your selectivity and frequency is almost impossible not to notice. But I'm all ears- list all the heinous acts committed by Hillary "since before she stepped into the national spotlight" that has rendered her a POS in your eyes.

You must be 12. Do your own homework. PRO TIP: She was embroiled in shit starting with Whitewater, and then her magical cattle future scam, then her attempts to smear the women her husband was fucking behind her back, the Clinton foundation was a slush fund. Piss off with your attempts to just ignore her history.   Now go hump somebody elses leg.

You, and knight can spoon together, and whisper sweet lies about how great she was into each others ears.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

All of Onboard’s reasons for hating Hillary are incredibly stupid, because he’s incredibly stupid. If you’re going to hate her, hate her because she thinks free public college is “chocolate milk for everybody!”

Heeeey fuck you very much....  Hillary is a POS, end of subject.

31 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah he's my hero, He beat that POS that was glorious.  He's done his own dirty shit. She was living on the publics dime when she did much of her BS.

That's like saying "I don't want Urban Meyer coaching Texas because he's a piece of shit. So my vote went to Jeffrey Epstein, who's bringing in Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby as his coordinators."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You must be 12. Do your own homework. PRO TIP: She was embroiled in shit starting with Whitewater, and then her magical cattle future scam, then her attempts to smear the women her husband was fucking behind her back, the Clinton foundation was a slush fund. Piss off with your attempts to just ignore her history.   Now go hump somebody elses leg.

You, and knight can spoon together, and whisper sweet lies about how great she was into each others ears.

If I was 12 I would make hysterical, drama queen characterizations of her riding a broom or smelling of sulphur. I would probably demonstrate an inability to make any distinction between an accusation made in the media, a sworn accusation opening the accuser to legal liability, sworn accusations contradicted by other multiple sworn testimonies, indictments, legal settlements, convictions, and investigations that find no wrong doing.

Whitewater

Three separate inquiries into a failed Arkansas land deal finding insufficient evidence of criminal conduct by Hillary.

You certainly know how to bring the fire, Onboard. Citing a case in which Hillary wasn't charged, indicted...anything...as your opening number is a face plant right off the stage. Your hero NY real estate developer would call this a Tuesday except the investigation would include a lot more mobsters.

Magical Cattle Futures Scam

See? This is the one you should have led off with. This is the one that probably has the most merit- and, as BT alluded to and as I have previously stated on this board, probably falls around the typical median for political corruption or wrong doing. Unfortunately, this is standard fare and doesn't rocket her to the top of the pile that includes the former GOP speaker of the House sentenced to prison for covering up his kid fucking despite your previous claims on this board that "NOBODY" is more corrupt than the object of your obsession. I have no problem giving you this one.

SMEARS

Hoo boy....Trump supporter strikes a taking offense at smears pose. This is a "where to begin?" situation, particularly when it involves sexual assault/harassment and your contention is Hillary's a bigger POS than Donald- I'll take that up later, cuz I wanna see the end of this Chiefs game... 

On 12/7/2019 at 4:18 PM, workswithseed said:

I don't agree with the man, but I still don't understand how this lost him the bid

The expectations were SO HIGH for him in Iowa at the time.  He was supposed to win it in a blowout and ended up coming in distant 3rd.  It wasn’t the “BYAH!!!” as much as it was something clearly wasn’t adding up between the hype and the results of Howard Dean.  The over zealous rant kinda reinforced the narrative.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

11 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Hillary is a national treasure, we were lucky to have her in public service. 

Damn, you are mean AF, Hugo. You know that will trigger a dick measuring contest between BT and Onboard with their diatribes of her awfulness to figure out who hates her more. Yes, yes she was a bitch but she isn't worth a second thought now fuckers....she is in the rearview mirror along with Mary Todd Lincoln and the second Mrs. Wilson.

She got fucked by Putin and it is over for her. But at least she isn't the type that laments what made Putin hate her which is that she ground her heel on his neck while he was down. She did the right thing for the right reasons then but it fucked her hard and kept her from her most treasured goal. Yet she is isn't the type to lick anyone's dick like Ted Cruz or Lindsey Graham to stay in power. I know she is a slimy bitch but I respect that about her.  

• Like 2

I dislike her because she and her neoliberal zombies think "free public college is 'chocolate milk for everybody!'"

It is time to move on. Hillary will never be President. Thank goodness. We don't need dimwits who think a college education is priced correctly today. Absolute idiocy. And a Republican talking point. 

Her buddy Neera Tanden is supporting Boris Johnson - a fucking Tory for fuck's sake. The neoliberal use the Democratic Party label to cover for their Goldwater Girl Republicanism. It is time to move on from them. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 3

And it wasn't Sanders' fault she lost the 2016 Election or his supporters. She lost it. Her campaign lost it. Sanders gave 39 speeches for her after the nomination. His ground people warned Hillary and her advisors she should be campaigning hard in the Upper Midwest. She and her campaign advisors ignored the advice. They rested on their media laurels pronouncing Hillary as the Greatest Football Team, errr. . ., Hillary as the inevitable President.

She had reason to be confident. She ran against the guy her campaign WANTED to run against.

Hillary made some horrible mistakes and I am sorry for those of you who are stuck in that moment. It must suck. But it is not your fault. And there is no need to be defensive. The mistakes were made at the top by Robbie Mook and Hillary (and Bill). Sanders and his people tried to warn them. They ignored and now they make excuses. This display by Hillary is to try and deflect attention away from her stunning loss and her campaign's failure to blame it on anyone, I mean anyone, but them and their mistakes. She does not want that as her legacy and I can't blame her for that want - but it is not what the country needs right now. 

She needs to get up, look at what happened, and do better. Do better for humanity. If she can't try to do better for all Americans, including the people she called deplorables. What a horrible thing to say about a person. And for political junkies, that is the worst political malpractice I have ever seen - ever. If this was Mook's decision, she needs to sue him for political malpractice. I am sure he has some E&O coverage for this. She should fight against his insurance companies if they deny the claim. 

If it was her idea to single out a large group of people who traditionally identified as Democrats in the working and middle class who also easily VOTE,  well . . . she need to dust herself off, actually learn from her mistake, and fight for something real in the lives of others less fortunate than her. And apologize to her supporters for the mistakes of her campaign. Ask them to go out and vote for the candidate who will work for those less fortunate than her - the 99.0%. And then she should speak of ambitious plans to make this a better world.

And for Hillary supporters only: 

Spoiler

Remember what caused the reopening of the server investigation just before the election. Yep - a scumbag named Elliot was married to a Huma - and he just happened to send dick pics to younger women on a computer Huma used for her work. That was on Hillary and her campaign. And the DCCC emails showing active manipulation in the "democratic" process - well that was hubris on display. Brazille giving info to Hillary before the debates?  That is not right in any election.

And her use of unsecured servers for classified docs - that does not show good judgment. Obama warned her about that. 

Hillary supporters did fantastic work for her. They are not to blame. The blames lies at Hillary, Bill and Mook's feet. It is okay to say that and still want Trump to lose. She needs to learn from her mistakes.

Enabling her to continue blaming others does not help. It is time for Hillary to become the selfless Hillary. The poor, the middle and working classes, and those disillusioned enough to vote for Trump, are all looking for a brighter future. Enough with the darkness of the past and on to  polishing up that shining beacon on the hill that is the future.   

Spoiler

Hillary lost the election; Trump did not win it. We can't repeat the 2016 mistakes or we will lose to Trump again.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 4

All the kids in school should get free chocolate milk. And they should get more pizza.

Hillary could prevent this from happening, but she doesn't, because she's genuinely a bad person. She's petty and spiteful. She only wanted power for herself and didn't actually care about anything. For those of you who think that's going too far, answer this question: What has she been doing to make the lives of Americans better since she lost?

She goes into hiding only to regularly surface for the express purpose of spewing bitterness at Bernie and blaming him for her historic failure.

And here is MSNBC, putting up a roundtable and literally just giving Hillary staffers turns one after the other to spout complete BS.

Bernie started campaigning for Hillary the day after they 2016 Dem platform was released (they spent a month negotiating policy planks, because Bernie actually cares about policy) Hillary started campaigning sooner because Obama told her she could be Secretary of State and that was all Hillary cared about, power and prestige

But at the end of the day, Bernie did 3x the events for Hillary that Hillary did for Obama. And Bernie's primary voters were 2x as loyal to Hillary as Hillary's were to Obama.

But it's not going to work. The more Hillary inserts herself into this the better it is for Bernie. Go ahead, loser, keep it up. Get all the attention on yourself and Bernie so you can lose again and get humiliated again.

• Like 1

I half agree with this. I don't think he hates her, but he is absolutely setting her up to step on a rake.

Even if Howard's intentions are to rehabilitate this ghoul's image, his nature is set and his moves as an interviewer are determined by decades of practice. He is here to get the person to embarrass themselves. He can go in thinking, "OK we're going to get real and human and blah blah" but his instinct for baiting is strong and his ability to bait is legendary.

He saw the part of her book that made people angriest and he served it back to her as if it was his own thought.

He genuinely likes Donald as a person, not just as a radio guest. He's so insulated from everything that he has the savior mindset of "I can see the good in everyone!" and, as a result, he launders the evil of power, because that's what he seeks and its what he identifies with. There's no underlying framework of ideology to work from, he just finds a big name and finds an interesting angle and that's good enough for him.

I don't care about Donald's unique vulnerabilities, I care about how he exercises power.
I don't care about Hillary's down-to-earth side, I care about how she would have exercised power.

Are we seriously going to be seduced by the, "Who do you want to have a beer with?" BS again so soon after W?

Howard helped launder the image of a venal monster who will probably go down as the worst or, at least, most embarrassing president in the history of our nation. Doing a down-home interview with the woman who lost to him as she attempts to sabotage her enemies in the process doesn't change that.

I disagree.  Howard liked him as a guest because he's ridiculous. And ridiculous is funny.  He has railed pretty repeatedly on what a shitty president he is, actively campaigned against him during the last election and relentlessly ridicules the people on his staff that voted for Trump.  You feel free to believe whatever you want, but you are factually incorrect here.

13 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Then what are you arguing?

That Howard is part of the reason we have the president he supposedly hates. He constantly gave Trump a platform because he likes Trump personally and was able to make money and grow fame off of promoting Trump's repellant persona and repugnant ideas. Guess who else liked Trump personally not long ago: Hillary Clinton

The idea that he was going to get Hillary elected is absurd and transparently self-serving.

Garbage laundering garbage.

I kind of like Hillary hanging out in public view but powerless.  As long as her name is out there, the conservative machine that spent the past two-and-a-half decades destroying all that is Clinton will focus some of their attention on her, versus targeting the next threat to this shitastic flavor of conservatism.

I'm all about the downfall of Trump and the ideology he champions.  Anyone playing a role in that, no matter how small, is ok in my book.