Mental Excercise: Should CFB do away with conferences and form leagues like soccer?

MillerEP

No I wasn't high, but I've been thinking about this. And yeah, yeah"fuck the offeseason."

Anyway, the more I see the 4-team playoff debacle and conference favoritism, part of me wants to do away with the conferences altogether and go with a relegation/promotion league system like soccer. The thinking is, let's watch the best of the best play each other every year and do away with these bullshit conferences like SEC jumping the ranking by playing 3 community college teams every year. Why should we have to play Kansas every year, when they could be doing their thing dominating League 5, while we're battling to keep up in the premier leagues against the likes of Ohio State, Alabama, and theOSU every year. Also think of the sweet sweet vision of watching BlowU get relegated down to the League 2 for a year or two, or the sweet taste of victory as we win the League 2 championship and get promoted to the premiers with high hopes next year.

Anyway, what are y'alls thoughts, what would it look like, how would the leagues be determined? Or shoud I just put down the beer?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Texas would have been relegated by now to the Mountain West equivalent after 10 years of suckitude.

yep, and deservedly so. i would prefer OP's option to what we currently have. it would make every game/season infinitely more important. the biggest problem is the whole "BUT WHAG ABOUT THE BOWLS?!?" deal. for some reason it was apparently set in stone that CFB has to have 45bowl games every year or else the sport will collapse. 

3 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Why should we have to play Kansas every year, when they could be doing their thing dominating League 5, while we're battling to keep up in the premier leagues against the likes of Ohio State, Alabama, and theOSU every year. 

Yeah I'm against any idea that gives us two Ohio States. 

Give me your proposal on keeping leagues but having a Champion's League. I'd like to see a proposed schedule as well. 

• Like 1

The best way to solve all of this is to form 4 16-team, football-only conferences which each have a CCG, with the 4 winners going to the playoff.  No more rankings/beauty contest, it’s just like every pro sport where it’s totally cut and dried who makes it and who doesn’t.  It not only eliminates the subjectivity but also allows you to preserve traditional rivalries.  Best of all, you aren’t penalized at all for losing out of conference, so we might actually return to the good old days where you saw a lot of great matchups on September....

3 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

We should go to running time, and at the end the referee announces how much injury /replay time to add on. Also, the players should hold hands with a bunch of kids before the game and promise not to say or do anything hurtful.

And ad an "off sides" penalty if the WR gets behind the DB before the ball is thrown.

*At least until UT's secondary improves

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

The best way to solve all of this is to form 4 16-team, football-only conferences which each have a CCG, with the 4 winners going to the playoff.  No more rankings/beauty contest, it’s just like every pro sport where it’s totally cut and dried who makes it and who doesn’t.  It not only eliminates the subjectivity but also allows you to preserve traditional rivalries.  Best of all, you aren’t penalized at all for losing out of conference, so we might actually return to the good old days where you saw a lot of great matchups on September....

na, do 8, 10 team conferences, run it like the B12, except you play everyone and best team goes to 8 team playoff.  If theres a tie at the end, head to head winner of most games played between teams involved goes.  easy peasy.  You can keep your big bowls for the 6 playoff games, smaller bowls can pick and choose the whoever the fuck they want