Free Guy: GTA the movie

MillerEP

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Wife and I saw it last weekend. Had zero expectations for it. It was hot outside, we wanted to see a movie and it was on at a good time at the theater we like. That said, it ended up being a really fun summer movie. Two hours went by quickly, had some laughs and the visuals are pretty cool.

• Hook 'Em 1

I completely enjoyed it.   loved the multiple happy cameos. 

overall I give it a 7.5 good summer movie.   plus its kind of a date movie as well. 

there was a whole sceen missing though the trailers showed Guy driving a car for the first time, that wasnt in the movie. 

• 3 weeks later...

This movie was a ton of fun. Reynolds and Comer were great. 

One major gripe though - Taika Waititi was absolutely awful. Weird because he's been good in other movies, but this, this performance was bad. Every time he said a line it took me out of the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked Free Guy - they did a good job playing with all the video game tropes, and it really does feel like "GTA Online: The Movie" to an extent. They did a decent job too with their adaptation of the "ghost in the machine" trope, where a sufficiently complex system starts authoring its own emergent behaviors. 

Definitely something I'll watch again at some point, made my wife and I laugh out loud a few times

• 3 months later...

Got tired of waiting for this thing to hit a streaming service so i bought it on my Fire Tv. Well worth the $10. Some of the best parts are watching what the characters are doing in the background, especially if you've played GTAO

"Oh, he found the button" I laughed too hard at this, mainly cause i'm a giant pervert. 

• 2 months later...

we saw this in the theater.  one of the few movies we saw in a theater during the pandy.  we loved it.  as said by many, no expectations whatsoever.  there were very few movies to choose from, and we settled on this because who cares.  we're finally going back to Alamo Drafthouse.  but we had a blast.  very surprising emotional elements to it.  

and who doesn't root for Steve from Stranger Things.

finally saw this on a plane and fucking loved it.  i had about an hour left on the flight and almost watched the first half again.

i don't think it was marketed properly.  they went for the gaming crowd who probably thought it was fine, but they could've easily gone a couple different ways with it and been successful.

23 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

finally saw this on a plane and fucking loved it.  i had about an hour left on the flight and almost watched the first half again.

i don't think it was marketed properly.  they went for the gaming crowd who probably thought it was fine, but they could've easily gone a couple different ways with it and been successful.

$331M worldwide ain't bad. Was delayed for a year and still set pandemic BO records. But I think it definitely slipped past a lot of people. A sequel is in development so we'll see if the audience blows up. A four-quadrant franchise based on original IP? Disney/20th Century probably already charted the next two decades of content.