Fire Chris Ash

DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

Right... don’t make excuses for your stupidity. Just to prove this isn’t an Aggy troll and you’re a fucking hater that shouldn’t be allowed to step in DKR for the remainder of your pathetic life go follow my Twitter.[mention=5065]TexasTrue1[/mention] I bleed burnt orange bitch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like Michelle Herman found surly.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'll go on record saying I like the hire. I really don't understand the hate. Fundamentals and playing to your players strengths. That's what he preaches and what brings.

Bill Belichick could have left New England today to be the DC here and there would be posts bitching about he's never recruited. 

• Like 2

Bill Belichick could have left New England today to be the DC here and there would be posts bitching about he's never recruited. 

And then they get offended whenever you take up for their team that they are fans of! I don’t understand that lol. It’s like they want Texas to fail. No one can be happy about the program everyone should be miserable.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, TexasTrue1 said:

And then they get offended whenever you take up for their team that they are fans of! I don’t understand that lol. It’s like they want Texas to fail. No one can be happy about the program everyone should be miserable.

You stumbled on this site and haven’t noticed the name, have you?

• Like 1

Ash brought quarters defense to Columbus. That combined with rugby tackling turned our defense around.

Quarters defense seems like it was a flash in the pan, so I don't know of he'll use it in Austin. Regarding the "will he teach tackling?" question upthread, yeah. He teaches tackling real good.

You guys got a good one.

• Like 2

Ash brought quarters defense to Columbus. That combined with rugby tackling turned our defense around.

Quarters defense seems like it was a flash in the pan, so I don't know of he'll use it in Austin. Regarding the "will he teach tackling?" question upthread, yeah. He teaches tackling real good.

You guys got a good one.

We’ll have none of that here. Only bitching and moaning.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Living in B10 country I followed Ash at OSU and Rutgers. Throw out anything that happened at Rutgers - it’s irrelevant and he was never going to do anything productive there abd most of it was out of his control. He see Ed OSU extremely well and that program is light years ahead of Texas’ the past decade so I can’t fault this hire.

Just now, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Curious if Texas takes the high road and offers him the going rate for a dc or trying to save some money by low balling it.  Rutgers owes him for two more years so unless he gets more than $2.5 million per year, it should make no difference to Ash. 

Was just wondering about this too. Would be great to go splurge on OC and position coaches if we got him cheap

1 hour ago, nunna yo bizness said:

The problem is the most likely scenario is that the defense plays better, but not lights out, so we end up 9-3.  No playoff.  No conf champ.  But better, so Herm and CDC can say we should give it another year.  From there perpetual 9-3, never winning anything but just good enough to say they can't justify a change.  Perpetual purgatory.

Not a winning scenario.

Nebraska wouldn't tolerate 9-3, not for a second.

5 hours ago, gmr548 said:

The defense will be better in 2020 under Ash. New approach that opponents have limited tape on, emphasis on fundamentals, experienced roster. Texas will go 9-3, maybe play in Arlington depending on how things play out for Baylor/Ok State/TCU, and Herman and Co. will get another year. 2021 is when the wheels will come off as c/o 2018 begins to depart.

Another delusional Strong lover.  Unreal.

4 hours ago, Chooky said:

Any chance we just absolutely whiffed on a couple guys because they didn't want to get mired in a situation with a walking dead asshole of a head coach?  Did Scalley lift his leg and hold the phone next to his ass when they called?

No.  DCs mostly are not stupid like Surly posters.  Do well here and you write your ticket.  People who don't want to come here, we don't want.

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'll go on record saying I like the hire. I really don't understand the hate. Fundamentals and playing to your players strengths. That's what he preaches and what brings.

He did a good job at Ohio St.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt.  But I can't say I'm thrilled with a comfort hire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasTrue1 said:

Of course you don’t... You’re a hater who gets online to complain and then as soon as Texas starts winning you’ll be there giving BEVO a hand job. I can’t stand people like you

I can't imagine what an entire decade of blue balls(if he had them) means to BEVO

If Ash was an analyst this year, what was his impact on the D, if any?

Did Orlando just do the opposite of Ash’s analysis....or did he employ Ash’s suggestions and we still sucked?

Seriously  doubt we would get answers to that question but if we knew, we could figure out if Herman is just

functioning as a very expensive placeholder or Ash is a decent DC who’s opinions were ignored this season by

New Potato.

Edited by El Squared

4 minutes ago, El Squared said:

If Ash was an analyst this year, what was his impact on the D, if any?

Did Orlando just do the opposite of Ash’s analysis....or did he employ Ash’s suggestions and we still sucked?

Seriously  doubt we would get answers to that question but if we knew, we could figure out if Herman is just

functioning as a very expensive placeholder or Ash is a decent DC who’s opinions were ignored this season by

New Potato.

That’s impossible to answer - we have no idea what Ash was tasked with during OUsucks week. 

For all we know he was asked to self-scout Orlando’s defense to identify tendencies. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That’s impossible to answer - we have no idea what Ash was tasked with during OUsucks week. 

For all we know he was asked to self-scout Orlando’s defense to identify tendencies. 

Fair point. I hadn’t considered the opposition D analysis angle. But that would also be revealing if that was his role given offensive decline with the season’s progression. Pity that it will take 10 months to know what we really have.

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He coached at Ohio State two seasons (Urban asked all his assistants to commit to two years). He replaced Everett Withers and the back end of the defense improved dramatically and they won a championship his first year in Columbus. He coached with Bielema in Wisconsin for a few years and their defenses were always stout. I didn't really follow Arkansas that closely while he was there, I just mocked Bielema from a distance. It sounded like a good hire to me at the time and the results on the field seemed to bear that out.

The Bucks have to replace Jeff Hafley who had Ash's old job. I wouldn't have a problem if they brought Chris back. 

Bro, your dose of reality is not what we are looking for right now.  Our pets heads are falling off (have been for a decade) and everything that should work turns to shit.  Each of our past 3 DCs have looked lights out their first year, then like runny dog shit for the next two years.  

Everything about being a Texas fan sucks now.  Not only do we suck at football, but the rest of the nation loves every second of our sucking.  Our ability to do less with more is incomparable and anyone with the first drop of burnt orange blood is absolutely fucking sick of it.  This is just another straw on the camels back, but it broke a long time ago.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

And Ash has been on our campus since he got fired yet Tom didn’t have the balls to fire Orlando like Mack fired Diaz.

Exactly! With 4 or 5 games left and still a chance to get to the Big12 CCG we could have fired Orlando then and gotten a test drive with Ash to see what we might get.  I was an advocate of this but a lot of posters thought that it would be absurd to do that since Herman wouldn't make someone like Ash the DC for next year anyway once the offseason came and other options would be available

Welp, here we are in the offseason and despite other options Ash is now our DC.  Except doing it this way now means the test drive will be the start of a whole new season to potentially throw away if he's a bust.

Mack had more balls firing Diaz midseason than Herman, and that's saying something.

• Like 3

Next Herman press conference: 

"We've also filled out our defensive staff with two of my best bros, Smitty and JBug. These guys, man, they are just the fucking best. Smitty is probably the best wing man I've ever had, just a total bloodhound when it comes to trackin' down trim. And JBug, don't even get me fucking started on him man. Jesus. Putting these guys in a room with Ashy every day is going to be fucking wild man." 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Exactly! With 4 or 5 games left and still a chance to get to the Big12 CCG we could have fired Orlando then and gotten a test drive with Ash to see what we might get.  I was an advocate of this but a lot of posters thought that it would be absurd to do that since Herman wouldn't make someone like Ash the DC for next year anyway once the offseason came and other options would be available
Welp, here we are in the offseason and despite other options Ash is now our DC.  Except doing it this way now means the test drive will be the start of a whole new season to potentially throw away if he's a bust.
Mack had more balls firing Diaz midseason than Herman, and that's saying something.

The way this was handled tells me that Herman was forced to cut ties with Orlando.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

That’s where I am.   I actually think he will be fine, but Herman having the audacity to once again hire a buddy without a real search and vetting process to find the best candidate is pretty infuriating.

And it’s also just dumbfounding considering Herman’s own ass is on the line for doing precisely this same thing 3 years ago.  It’s troubling that he still thinks his shit doesn’t stink.

This more or less mirrors my thoughts when @closetojumping made his "only two camps" statement. No, there is definitely a 3rd camp, those of us who agree this was an incredibly stupid hire, but not for on-the-field reasons.

Ash's stated approach to defense is actually pretty sound. He's just not the guy we would have preferred to implement it.

There is, nevertheless, a fair chance (based on returning talent) that the defense improves enough that Ash can get himself another HC gig after a 10+ win season next year.

Call it a one-in-ten shot, and then gamble with somebody else's money. Herman is likely to fail anyway, so I won't begrudge him putting all his chips in on a gamble of his own choosing. If he wins, Hallelujah! If he loses, well, good luck at that next G5 gig.

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

This more or less mirrors my thoughts when @closetojumping made his "only two camps" statement. No, there is definitely a 3rd camp, those of us who agree this was an incredibly stupid hire, but not for on-the-field reasons.

Ash's stated approach to defense is actually pretty sound. He's just not the guy we would have preferred to implement it.

There is, nevertheless, a fair chance (based on returning talent) that the defense improves enough that Ash can get himself another HC gig after a 10+ win season next year.

Call it a one-in-ten shot, and then gamble with somebody else's money. Herman is likely to fail anyway, so I won't begrudge him putting all his chips in on a gamble of his own choosing. If he wins, Hallelujah! If he loses, well, good luck at that next G5 gig.

2 camps. You either like the hire because Herman, or you don’t, for whatever reason, and feel like it’s another terrible fucking sign that the Head Narcissist in Charge was sent here as a hermanator from the future, here to buttfuck our fandom in order to destroy mankind. 

17 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

The problem is the most likely scenario is that the defense plays better, but not lights out, so we end up 9-3.  No playoff.  No conf champ.  But better, so Herm and CDC can say we should give it another year.  From there perpetual 9-3, never winning anything but just good enough to say they can't justify a change.  Perpetual purgatory.

Not a winning scenario.

9-3 is a tall order when OU and LSU will be likely losses.

11 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

OU, I'll buy, but unless LSU finds a grad transfer QB to their liking, they are taking a pretty big step back next season.

The only teams that take a step back when they lose graduating talent are those that are poorly coached, like here at Texas. Assuming LSU will go backward substantially seems specious at this time. They probably will find a grad transfer, just as OU probably will, and they’ll keep right on moving. If you can’t find the sucker at the table, it is probably you. 

You can *hope* that the circumstances play out otherwise, but hope is not a strategy. We have a fuckface running this program without a vague hint of understanding his own weaknesses and tendencies. 

I’m sure Texas can go 9-3/10-2 in the regular season next year. They should with the talent and experience on hand. I just don’t see any reason to expect that, given how fucking stupid and incapable of change the guy in charge appears to be. Other teams will continue to figure Texas out and Herman will continue to get pathetically outcoached. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

OU, I'll buy, but unless LSU finds a grad transfer QB to their liking, they are taking a pretty big step back next season.

Brady/Aranda versus Herman/Ash. Pretty clear who comes out on top there. Herman will trot out those repeated gay ass QB Power, inside zone, and bubble screens to nowhere, and I'm sure we'll make a few special teams blunders as well that will lead to a blowout loss.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1