Norvell to Florida State

Hornius Emeritus

Questions about Mike Norvell's past may have made a Power 5  job tougher to get... not sure of the facts though, just Rumors

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/coaching-changes/skeletons-in-mike-norvells-closet-keeping-him-from-getting-an-offer/73797656/

Tiger Droppings Post  from Nov 2017

"Per the MSU 247 message board, Memphis HC Mike Norvell will NOT be a candidate for the MSU job and also likely not for the Arkansas job either due to some things that were found in his background during a vetting process."

"Nobody knows for sure what it is but it has to be something pretty major for him to lose the chance to get a head job in the SEC."

1 hour ago, Rholl said:

I wonder why they didnt want Norvell?

1.  He's never built or rebuilt a program.  Fuente left a healthy program behind.

2.  He shares a lot in common from a resume' stand point from the guy they just fired.

3.  No P5 HC experience.  See above.

4.  No ties to the state or recruiting base

These are the reasons I've heard or read.  Not saying they're valid, but just what's being passed along.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

1.  He's never built or rebuilt a program.  Fuente left a healthy program behind.

2.  He shares a lot in common from a resume' stand point from the guy they just fired.

3.  No P5 HC experience.  See above.

4.  No ties to the state or recruiting base

These are the reasons I've heard or read.  Not saying they're valid, but just what's being passed along.

I agree they should have gotten on the Lane train

Questions about Mike Norvell's past may have made a Power 5  job tougher to get... not sure of the facts though, just Rumors

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/coaching-changes/skeletons-in-mike-norvells-closet-keeping-him-from-getting-an-offer/73797656/

Tiger Droppings Post  from Nov 2017

"Per the MSU 247 message board, Memphis HC Mike Norvell will NOT be a candidate for the MSU job and also likely not for the Arkansas job either due to some things that were found in his background during a vetting process."

"Nobody knows for sure what it is but it has to be something pretty major for him to lose the chance to get a head job in the SEC."

free shoes u gives no fucks about that shit.

That’s straight up Faulkner County representin’, son.
well he's gonna be in Leon county now.

my advice to him is stay away from the marching 100, start drinking heavily, and go apeshit with the quick kick. also enjoy the fuck out of The Whataburgers. BASTARD.

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

....."Nobody knows for sure what it is but it has to be something pretty major for him to lose the chance to get a head job in the SEC."

??

step4.jpg?w=360

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Skeletons in the closet aside, it's pretty clear Memphis might be the easiest job in the AAC.

I guess you could say that as of this moment in time.  Fuente left Memphis in good shape but look what it was before that.  It was one of the worst jobs in the country.   Fuente with a great turnaround then Norvell took it to the next level.  It certainly wasn't thought to be a cakewalk job when Norvell took over.  But as I posted in another thread, I agree that at this point the Memphis opening would be more attractive to an up and comer than the Arkie job.   Go prove you can maintain it and stay in the top 2-3 of the Group of 5 Schools and should be able to write your ticket to a good Power 5 job  

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Coach Mike Norvell tests positive for COVID... Will have to sit out.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/florida-state-head-coach-mike-norvell-tests-positive-for-covid-19-174754988.html

Florida State head coach Mike Norvell tests positive for COVID-19

Sam Cooper

Sat, September 19, 2020, 12:47 PM CDT

Florida State head coach Mike Norvell has tested positive for COVID-19.  The school announced the news Saturday, saying Norvell tested positive in the football program’s most recent round of testing. Norvell will not coach next weekend when the Seminoles play Miami on the road. 

Norvell, in his first season at FSU, said in a statement that he will remain “involved remotely as much as possible.” Chris Thomsen, FSU’s deputy head coach, will handle “in-person head coaching duties” until Norvell can return.

Norvell said he was surprised by the positive result, especially after he tested negative in FSU’s two previous rounds of testing this week. Norvell’s wife and daughter were both negative for COVID-19 on Saturday morning. 

Norvell’s full statement is below:

“In our most recent round of Covid testing yesterday, I received a positive result after being negative in our previous two tests this week. My wife and daughter were tested this morning with negative results but are quarantining. My result was surprising to me, but we have prepared for a potential positive result among anyone in our program and we will put that plan in place while I am away,” Norvell said. 

“I will remain involved remotely as much as possible to help our team continue to prepare. Deputy head coach Chris Thomsen will handle in-person head coaching duties until I am able to return. I’m grateful to the administration, players and staff for their commitment to the protocols we have in place, which have helped us limit contact with others and allowed us to continue moving forward.”

285b60d0-faa0-11ea-bfdf-3ab74356c7c0

Florida State athletic director David Coburn said that Norvell is “feeling fine” and that he doesn’t believe the Miami game “is in jeopardy.”

“This is unfortunate, but luckily Coach is feeling fine. We are proceeding with our Covid protocols as we would with any other case. Coach is isolated, and university tracing staff is handling the contact tracing as they normally do. We will continue to test staff and student-athletes as we have been,” Coburn said. “We have communicated with [ACC] Commissioner John Swofford and Miami Athletics Director Blake James. At this point, based on our testing this week, we have no reason to believe that the Miami game is in jeopardy.”

Edited by LTtxfan

• 3 years later...