2019 Fiesta Bowl: Ohio State vs Clemson

USMCHorn

With tOSU and Clemson as a semi-finals CFP match-up, seems like the damn committee is trying to protect SEC and ratings for the Finals by giving LSU the easier path to get there.. 

May have not wanted Grinch going against his former team??  Also blOU just got an easier path to Finals imo...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

With tOSU and Clemson as a semi-finals CFP match-up, seems like the damn committee is trying to protect SEC and ratings for the Finals by giving LSU the easier path to get there.. 

May have not wanted Grinch going against his former team??  Also blOU just got an easier path to Finals imo...

Blame Ohio State for giving them the excuse last night.

We have unfinished business with Clemson; narrowly lost to them in 2016, then got smoked in 2016.  Also that Woody Hayes thing.

Our defense dominated all season then looked a bit more normal the last 2 games.  Teams double-teamed Chase Young and the other D linemen didn't step up.  We were down a good DB for about 6 of the last quarters as well.  That may be a factor.

Fields has also played poorer.  Could be his knee, and it could be him playing like a freshman.  If we're gonna win this our D and our QB need to get back to their old ways.

29 minutes ago, Parliament said:

We have unfinished business with Clemson; narrowly lost to them in 2016, then got smoked in 2016.  Also that Woody Hayes thing.

Our defense dominated all season then looked a bit more normal the last 2 games.  Teams double-teamed Chase Young and the other D linemen didn't step up.  We were down a good DB for about 6 of the last quarters as well.  That may be a factor.

Fields has also played poorer.  Could be his knee, and it could be him playing like a freshman.  If we're gonna win this our D and our QB need to get back to their old ways.

Clemson offense significantly better than Wisky but played suspect early in season. I think the coasting they were doing since last year’s natty hangover has cleared. It could be a long night for the Woody Bucs.

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

That was in 2013.  

I think the line is about right for Clemson-OSU.  Fields does not recognize pressure well and Clemson will get to him.  tOSU defense should be back to its best after getting some rest following the PSU, Michigan and Wisconsin gauntlet.  Chase Young needs to get to Lawrence repeatedly. 

Clemson's biggest issue will be the step up in class.  They have played absolutely no one and Ohio State's speed and depth on offense and defense will be an adjustment.

LSU's biggest concern will be the 7 week layoff after Alabama.  OU as a warm up is the perfect situation for them.  

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I don’t think anybody should have a problem with LSU at #1.  Wins at Texas and at Bama and beat Georgia on a neutral field and beat Florida and Auburn.  That’s worthy of a top seed. Clemson beat nobody and should have lost to Mack. Ohio State had a chance to make its case against Wisky and didn’t do it. 

I’m fine with the seeding. 

I’m also very much looking forward to this game. 

• Like 1

LSU got lucky by playing their gauntlet of Florida (H), Auburn (H) and Alabama (who they beat by an average score of 37 - 30) over a 4 week stretch in October and early November instead of late-November and early December like OSU.  Ohio State beat PSU (H), Michigan (A) and Wisconsin (N) by an average score of 39-22.  When Ohio State played their version of UGA (Wisconsin) following cupcakes, they killed them 38-7.

The bottom line is that the SEC gets every benefit of the doubt when it comes to the playoff.  If Ohio State had given up 614 yards in November to a team that fired its coach at the end of the season, they wouldn't have even been in the conversation for the 1-seed 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 8:25 AM, alincoln said:

LSU got lucky by playing their gauntlet of Florida (H), Auburn (H) and Alabama (who they beat by an average score of 37 - 30) over a 4 week stretch in October and early November instead of late-November and early December like OSU.  Ohio State beat PSU (H), Michigan (A) and Wisconsin (N) by an average score of 39-22.  When Ohio State played their version of UGA (Wisconsin) following cupcakes, they killed them 38-7.

The bottom line is that the SEC gets every benefit of the doubt when it comes to the playoff.  If Ohio State had given up 614 yards in November to a team that fired its coach at the end of the season, they wouldn't have even been in the conversation for the 1-seed 

If you look at it objectively, LSU played a tougher schedule, and looked more impressive on Saturday.  That was the difference.  

On 12/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, SwanderedTalent said:

If Ohio State starts as slowly against Clemson as they did against Wisconsin, they'll never be in the ballgame. There is a much smaller margin for error in this game as they've had in their big games up to now. 

I don't think that will happen. Fields should be back to 100% and neither team will be saving players or plays for another day. 

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I don't think that will happen. Fields should be back to 100% and neither team will be saving players or plays for another day. 

It's not very likely, but there's this idea that Ohio State is battle-tested and Clemson has just had a cakewalk all season long. I think in reality, Ohio State has been so much better than its opponents that it's been able to overcome bad ball security, slow starts (against Wisconsin in total, and on offense vs Wisconsin and defense against Michigan), and some fitful stretches (Penn State) and just blow people's doors off when it focused. 

If anything like that happens against Clemson, I don't see them being able to just decide to exert themselves and imposing their will to overcome their own mistakes. I know this point might seem obvious, but neither team HAS any glaring weaknesses. The one thing I've seen from either that I think could be a shatterpoint in the game is, Ohio State has opened the door a few times and none of its opponents have been able to take control of the game; Clemson will, if presented the opportunity. 

Trevor Lawrence's hair will get tangled up with Chase Young's hair and the players will be rushed under the medical tent until ESPN can run eight car insurance and wireless provider commercials.  Dabo's and Ryan Day's heads will implode like little black holes.  The ghosts of Frank Howard and Woody Hayes will duel with down marker poles at midfield to decide the game.  I'm saying give the points and bet the Bucks.  Reckon Nick Saban will be on the field set pregame and halftime to toss stink bombs with the ESPN guys?  A grand time will be had by all.

A few power ratings systems consider Ohio State to be one of the best teams of all time.  They are third in the BCS/playoff era in Sagarin behind 2001 Miami and 2005 Texas and Huck's system has them as the best team since 1946 and the 8th best team of all time.  The only other team in his Top 40 from the 2000s is 2018 Clemson at 40th.  Ohio State also achieved the highest FPI of all time earlier in the season.

It's hard to overstate how awful Clemson's schedule was.  They played the equivalent of SMU's schedule.  aggy @ Clemson was their toughest game and by some distance.  It will be very interesting to see if a team can immediately step it up against historically elite competition after playing no one for an entire year.

• Like 1

The one thing I've seen from either that I think could be a shatterpoint in the game is, Ohio State has opened the door a few times and none of its opponents have been able to take control of the game; Clemson will, if presented the opportunity. 

But as you state, Clemson hasnt played anyone that could walk through an open, other than aggy.

Clemson's weakness is that we don't know if they even belong. They are the only CFP team with that weakness. Doesnt mean they can't win, but until they do, it's a weakness.