2019 Alamo Bowl: Texas vs. #11 Utah - Pregame Discussion Thread

texifornia

12 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The Alamo Bowl is not a lower tier bowl anymore. Not sure why people don't get that. It gets top choice after NY6, it has the second highest payout of any non-NY6 bowl, it has a good time slot. 

Things have changed. 

Your welcome, Alamo Bowl

00f73850-7da6-4cb2-b6ed-9ef40cf11454-mac

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Is this the game where the native horn fans from San Antonio show up and make it a huge home field advantage for the Horns? Thus going 8-5 and giving Tommy boy momentun into the 2020 season?

Yes, It wont be the typical wine and cheese crowd. It's going to be fans that have probably grown up on UT but never went to school there so rarely have been to a game. They will be loud and drunk. Haters like to call them T shirt fans. I call them Die hard fans. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Well coached teams kill Tom's teams.  This is potentially a very horrible match up for Tom.  I feel bad for Utah. A few days ago they went from potential playoff talk to playing 7-5 Texas in the Alamo Bowl. What a fall. 

So in his three years here Tom's teams have played...two well coached team? Is that right? What is your definition of "killed" here?

I mean Utah could certainly kill us but I fail to see where you are getting your conclusion from here. No matter how shitty his team plays they tend to keep it close...and likewise no matter have well his team plays they still somehow keep it close.

Edited by Valmy77

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I see that there's no year on there, so they can just, you know, reuse it from time to time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TrueUte said:

Ute fan here coming in peace. Yes we drink, a lot. BYU fans like to “bash” us about our alcohol. Our online fans can be retards, but the fans who will be at the game should be chill. Sounds like the team is excited to play a blue-blood. We actually have quite a few Texas recruits on our team and Cam Rising who transferred from you guys, (Rising is obviously ineligible this year). It’s sounding like most of our seniors should play. We lost our first and second string safety in the championship game. We’ve got a solid team, over rated most of the year which you guys saw why Friday but we’re solid. We have a young o line which got blown up by Oregon. Our defense has 5-6 nfl dudes on it. Zack Moss our rb is a nfl back. He loves contact and is an animal. I didn’t watch Texas once this year other than a quarter of the LSU game. If you guys have a good DL/OL you will be able to keep the game close and probably win. If you let us dominate the line of scrimmage then be prepared for a long night. We love to control the time of possession until we wear defenses down then hit them with big plays. Hope it’s a good game. 

screwed the office GIF

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Valero Bowl shirt looks like it sells at a Valero store.  Not surprised.  

One bit of optimism to consider with the Alamo Bowl matchup against a #11 team is that there are intangibles that make a bowl 'prestigious' like how long it's been around, how many times its name/venue have changed, conference alignments which come and go for most bowls, the sponsor attached to it, how many people attend and how many watch at home and on what channel, and just how long its been around (the Sun Bowl is still a big deal that for that one simple reason).   For these reasons, the Alamo Bowl is a much bigger deal than it was when we first played there in 2006, and even since we played there last in 2013.  There's also a more objective metric to take into account-the bowl payout.  The Alamo Bowl will pay out $8mm, just slightly less than the Citrus Bowl at $8.6mm.  It's $2mm more than Camping World and the Texas Bowls.  $4mm more than the Liberty, $6mm more than the First Responders, and $7mm more than the Cheez-It.  It's nearly $2mm more than the Outback Bowl (long considered the second biggest deal after the Citrus Bowl---obviously after you take out the CFP/NY6).  

We're gonna need that extra cash to buyout Herman's contract in precisely 364 days.  

10 hours ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

You obviously haven't been on the BYU campus.  The hotest talent in the state is down in Provo and it's not even close.  Talent with brains. since it takes basically a 3.9 GPA to get in to the Y.  

I actually agree with this. However, them being Mormon means most of the attractive ones are married by like 24.

I'm good with this match up.  Two weeks removed now from the Tech game perhaps there is a tad of optimism in the air.  We did much better against Tech and I was among those thinking this team completely mailed it in during the Baylor debacle.   Tom surprised  many of us with his quick dismissals of Orlando and other staffers and demoted Beck.   We beat Utah and it sets the tone for the spring.  Beating a team who could have been playing in OU sux place in the playoff had they took care of Duck would put some sugar on what other wise was a shit sandwich of season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

We should be able to beat Utah by 14. That's going to make losing 46-17 even harder to swallow. This games has 2015 Peach Bowl written all over it.

What are you talking about?  We should lose to Utah by like 10-14.

2 hours ago, joeycovers said:

Yes, It wont be the typical wine and cheese crowd. It's going to be fans that have probably grown up on UT but never went to school there so rarely have been to a game. They will be loud and drunk. Haters like to call them T shirt fans. I call them Die hard fans. 

Wife and I are both alums and we've been to 2 other Alamo Bowls (comeback W vs Iowa, and comeback W vs Oregon State). Fuck all the bitchass, this is gonna be another fun one. We will definitely be loud and drunk.

11 hours ago, TrueUte said:

If you guys have a good DL/OL you will be able to keep the game close and probably win. If you let us dominate the line of scrimmage then be prepared for a long night.

This is actually going to be the interesting story for this game, football-wise. Most of the true drama for Texas will have nothing to do with the game, of course, but the bottom line is, Herman is going to be the default OC for this game, more than likely, so it will be interesting to see what happens if he's actually, you know, dialed in for once on offense. And losing Orlando means we're going with a lot of inexperience at DC, but it may be addition by subtraction, because our DL are a hell of a lot better than scheme has allowed them to be. Will the simple act of turning them loose make up for the lack of sophistication in the rest of the scheme?

Texas could actually play a whole lot better in this game despite (or maybe because) of missing so many coaches.

Or, the wheels could come completely off. Either way, the game will be interesting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joeycovers said:

Yes, It wont be the typical wine and cheese crowd. It's going to be fans that have probably grown up on UT but never went to school there so rarely have been to a game. They will be loud and drunk. Haters like to call them T shirt fans. I call them Die hard fans

We could use a few more of them.  They actually make noise which even when we are winning and playing well in pick your game at DKR, it's like sitting at a funeral at times.  

55 minutes ago, B00M said:

Wife and I are both alums and we've been to 2 other Alamo Bowls (comeback W vs Iowa, and comeback W vs Oregon State). Fuck all the bitchass, this is gonna be another fun one. We will definitely be loud and drunk.

Going to bet Utah gets up by 14-17 points, we make a comeback and briefly take the lead but ultimately blow the game on a missed Dicker field goal or something.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

And losing Orlando means we're going with a lot of inexperience at DC, but it may be addition by subtraction, because our DL are a hell of a lot better than scheme has allowed them to be. Will the simple act of turning them loose make up for the lack of sophistication in the rest of the scheme?

I'm cautiously optimistic on your point about the D. Throughout the season when it looked like TO was just running a "boring" defense (i.e., no dumb-as-shit blitzes) we did a pretty good job. Then we'd inevitably go back to the dumb-as-shit blitzes and we'd get torched. Tone down all the silliness, play fundamentals, and let our athleticism do its thing. 

8 minutes ago, Colonel Mustard said:

We will either get our ass kicked, our fan base will go into another rage wanting Herman fired again

He was one?  

9 minutes ago, Colonel Mustard said:

We will either get our ass kicked, our fan base will go into another rage wanting Herman fired again

or

We kick their ass, and our fan base still gets pissed at Herman because we all think "Where the fuck has that been all year?!"

Both would be valid positions.

15 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well the state is 62% Mormon so 36% is actually not much.

The State of Utah began keeping records of in-state Brethren membership, independent of The Church Corporation, only in 1989.  Prior to 1989, Brethren membership as a percentage of Utah's population was what The Corporation said it was.  So we only have 30 years of 'indpendent' data to assess.  However, despite what schmitty and any other window cougar will preach in their testimony, The Church is losing ground quickly for a variety of reasons.  The cost of property in California and Cascadia being the primary reason.  Regardless, by 2030 less than 50% of Utah will be Brethren.

1989: total population 1723000.  71% Brethren: 1223000.  29% Not Brethren: 500000.

2018: total population 3100000.  62% Brethren, 38% Not Brethren.

2030: (projected).  48% Brethren, 52% Not Brethren.

Gratuitous off-topic anti-Brethren content just to piss off schmitty; here's an illustration from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper in 1882:

Mormonism-in-Utah-Cave-of-Despair-page-0

34 minutes ago, Colonel Mustard said:

or

We kick their ass, and our fan base still gets pissed at Herman because we all think "Where the fuck has that been all year?!"

Going to need one of these to erase memory from 11:00 a.m. on 10/12 to the present for this to not be correct.

image.png.b702f6f9c48a26c8ba202aba21eaa810.png

image.png

Edited by UTEX90

5 hours ago, joeycovers said:

Naw, T-Shirt Fans is correct.

17 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

29 year and 3 missed home games during that time.

Made most of the bowl games. 

No interest in spending more money to hang out in San Antonio for new years just to watch the Longhorns lose.

If that qualifies me as fair weather and a realist, so fucking be it.

Username fits..

I personally am glad we are playing somebody I think is currently a better team than we are.  I think that the idea of getting whipped may bring the kids and coaches together.  I also like the fact that we should be able to get a little more healthy from a depth perspective.  If they can't get up for the game then that's on them.  

The good news is we have an opportunity.  A real opportunity to take a step forward.  Was I disappointed in this season?  I would be a liar if I said otherwise.  But we still have an opportunity to end on a high note, and beat what I think is one of the better teams in the country.  It's honestly going to be a gut check.  The team is gonna see a team they played to the end as well as anyone all season is going on and play in the National championship. They need to get their level of play back to that LSU competition level again, and they have 21 days to do it!

Kicking some ass in the Alamo bowl would be a very good way to finish the season. Getting our ass kicked in the Alamo bowl is not what the coaching staff, the team or the fanbase needs going into 2019. I think the kids and the coaches are gonna be motivated. I expect a good game and I think that we may end up coming out on Top here.  If we do win we are going to have to play a good game. Not a good quarter, not a good half, but a good game from start to finish.  Get a few kids healthy, and proper motivation I think our best game might again be good enough. 

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

• immamac locked and unlocked this topic
  • immamac locked this topic