North Dakota county to vote on whether to stop accepting refugees

Parliament

A county in North Dakota is set to decide Monday whether it will stop accepting refugees, potentially becoming the first since President Trump issued an executive order making it possible.

Burleigh County, home to nearly 100,000 people and the capital city of Bismarck, postponed a vote last week after more than 100 people showed up and overflowed the commission's normal meeting space.

"The overwhelming public opinion is so clear to me, that I think if you vote for it, you're not going to be reelected if you choose to run again," said Chairman Brian Bitner.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/north-dakota-refugees-burleigh-county-vote

Besides Texas, I lived in Arky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Florida as a kid, as well as a couple of years in in North Dakota, and ND was by far, the most racist of places.  The others were not even.  They loved the money my dad’s employer (oil) brought in, and while there were plenty of supposedly good folks there, the fucking racist shitheads were openly racist.  Other places we lived at, the racists would at least look over their shoulder before putting their garbage beliefs into display.  But not in ND.    That’s why I was happy to see the oil boom of the past few years, because that brought a shitload more minorities into ND, far more than we did in the ‘80s.   

"The overwhelming public opinion is so clear to me, that I think if you vote for it, you're not going to be reelected if you choose to run again," said Chairman Brian Bitner.

Great.  What's "it"?  Assuming they are taking up a new proposal that prevents the immigrants from settling there, it sounds like the overwhelming consensus is that the measure will fail and the refugees will continue to settle there.   But it's not clear, and with additional information that the mayor and state rep were for a measure to stop refugee settlement, it's hard to believe that it is a very unpopular measure. 

Looking at a different source, it sounds like Bitner believes that public opinion would prevent accepting additional refugees. 

This is one of those instances where I say fuck rural America.  Population reduction is probably the biggest issue facing small towns in rural America.  If you own a home, and there are more homes available than buyers, your house just isn't going to appreciate.  All retail businesses are facing shrinking markets.  But, despite that, they hang a giant "Immigrants need to apply" sign on the window.  Fuck them.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mchookem said:

refugees=more mormons

If I escaped Syria or Mogadishu in the hopes of being an American, I can't think of a worse place to go than ND. There may be a few months per year that it's bearable but screw when the average high is 20 in the winter.  Send me back my war torn home.

Our unemployment rate is 2.5%, and our population is growing. ND's economy is good, and not just because of oil.

Lutheran Social Services brought people in to Fargo 10+ years ago and they didn't do it well. They didn't communicate; just went and did it. That's mostly what has the folks in Burleigh county honked off.

• Like 1

-Parliament, 

Sure.  That makes sense. If only the racists in Fargo had advanced knowledge, the racists in Burleigh County would have been totally onboard.  Damn you Lutherans. 

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 1

I still don't understand why the US doesn't copy a Canadian program that has worked wonders in integrating refugees while at the same time giving lonely Canadian seniors a sense of purpose and socialization. The US has a plethora of lonely and forgotten seniors who would be happy to help integrate refugee families into American society. It makes too much sense for the idiots in charge to ever allot any resources to it. 

• Like 2

That would be even more reason for democrats to do it if they take over the white house. It's easy for these old whites to hate boogie men they don't know. Give them a young family with children to spend time with and get to know and help and those hate filled attitudes tend to change really quickly. 

For what it's worth, Bismark has had a total of 200 refugees settled there since 2004. 

117 Iraqi; 61 Congo; 12 Ukraine; 5 Somalia; 4 Ethiopian; 1 Serbian.  200 total people for a population of 135,000 over a course of 15 years.  (Bismarck includes area outside of that particular county.) And there is a very good chance that the Iraqis resettled there were ones who had assisted our military. 

Does anyone think this is a question of economics or overwhelming social services?   
link

Edited by Tuco

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Besides Texas, I lived in Arky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Florida as a kid, as well as a couple of years in in North Dakota, and ND was by far, the most racist of places.  The others were not even.  They loved the money my dad’s employer (oil) brought in, and while there were plenty of supposedly good folks there, the fucking racist shitheads were openly racist.  Other places we lived at, the racists would at least look over their shoulder before putting their garbage beliefs into display.  But not in ND.    That’s why I was happy to see the oil boom of the past few years, because that brought a shitload more minorities into ND, far more than we did in the ‘80s.   

My wife is from South Dakota.  Her brother lives in Minneapolis, and has a cabin on a small lake in Wisconsin.  Every year we make a family road trip up to Minneapolis and then on to the cabin for a week of relaxing, fishing, wake boarding, drinking, and all American summer fun. All the grown ups get along and the cousins do to.  It is really a good time.

Without fail, every year on this road trip my wife and I have this conversation where she brings up much nicer the little farms and ranches in Minn, Wisc., SD are  with their fur tree wind breaks, lush mowed pastures, and general well kept appearance are than the ones in Texas with our trailer homes, abandoned cars, scrub, and deteriorating fences.  I gotta say overall she is right about that.

However, when I make that drive every summer I see three times the number of Confederate flags that I do in Texas...and I see quite a few in Texas, especially at the beach. Every one I see up there I point out to the Mrs., just out of state pride.

As a side note: Kansas truck stops have the most MAGA gear. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

My wife is from South Dakota.  Her brother lives in Minneapolis, and has a cabin on a small lake in Wisconsin.  Every year we make a family road trip up to Minneapolis and then on to the cabin for a week of relaxing, fishing, wake boarding, drinking, and all American summer fun. All the grown ups get along and the cousins do to.  It is really a good time.

Without fail, every year on this road trip my wife and I have this conversation where she brings up much nicer the little farms and ranches in Minn, Wisc., SD are  with their fur tree wind breaks, lush mowed pastures, and general well kept appearance are than the ones in Texas with our trailer homes, abandoned cars, scrub, and deteriorating fences.  I gotta say overall she is right about that.

However, when I make that drive every summer I see three times the number of Confederate flags that I do in Texas...and I see quite a few in Texas, especially at the beach. Every one I see up there I point out to the Mrs., just out of state pride.

Interesting on the Confederate flags.  I wonder if those are a by-product of Yankee rednecks like the ones around Detroit (Bob Seger, Kid Rock), that went up there in search of work like African Americans.

I dated a gal from upstate Minnesota.  All Swedes and Norwegians.  They were very progressive about "their blacks," like Prince and Rod Carew and Kirby Puckett, but don't get them started on the Indians (feather, not dot).  

Right, wrong, or indifferent, it's easy not to be racist when everyone around you looks the same.  Suddenly (or not) drop in some browns with different customs and cultures and it's Nelly bar the door.  It's probably like this most everywhere.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Interesting on the Confederate flags.  I wonder if those are a by-product of Yankee rednecks like the ones around Detroit (Bob Seger, Kid Rock), that went up there in search of work like African Americans.

I dated a gal from upstate Minnesota.  All Swedes and Norwegians.  They were very progressive about "their blacks," like Prince and Rod Carew and Kirby Puckett, but don't get them started on the Indians (feather, not dot).  

Right, wrong, or indifferent, it's easy not to be racist when everyone around you looks the same.  Drop in some browns with different customs and cultures and it's Nelly bar the door.

After leaving UT, I lived and taught English in Argentina for a while.  

I remember a conversation once where a grown, educated women of European ancestry was discussing race relations in the U.S. with me (she was probably in her late 40s at the time, I was 22).  She said with a straight face, "We don't have racism in Argentina because there are no black people." 

Just seems like that fits here. 

/csb

14 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

There are confederate flags in Minn, Wisc, and SD?  Unless they've had a mass migration of southerners, THAT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE.

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

After leaving UT, I lived and taught English in Argentina for a while.  

I remember a conversation once where a grown, educated women of European ancestry was discussing race relations in the U.S. with me (she was probably in her late 40s at the time, I was 22).  She said with a straight face, "We don't have racism in Argentina because there are no black people." 

Just seems like that fits here. 

/csb

Haha yeah.  Actually a very candid statement.  Unfortunately, upon first exposure to foreign appearance and culture, some racism is to be expected.  It's how it's dealt with over the longer term that is more important.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

There are confederate flags in Minn, Wisc, and SD?  Unless they've had a mass migration of southerners, THAT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE.

It's about their heritage. Unfortunately, their racist parents and grandparents didn't have a flag to easily identify them as racists, so this generation needs to somehow make sure everyone know that they come from a long line of racists. 

Edited by Tuco

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

For what it's worth, Bismark has had a total of 200 refugees settled there since 2004. 

117 Iraqi; 61 Congo; 12 Ukraine; 5 Somalia; 4 Ethiopian; 1 Serbian.  200 total people for a population of 135,000 over a course of 15 years.  (Bismarck includes area outside of that particular county.) And there is a very good chance that the Iraqis resettled there were ones who had assisted our military. 

Does anyone think this is a question of economics or overwhelming social services?   
link

hard to believe that there isn't some level of xenophobia and most likely racism. I also not sure that a state can flat out refuse refugees. 

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Haha yeah.  Actually a very candid statement.  Unfortunately, upon first exposure to foreign appearance and culture, some racism is to be expected.  It's how it's dealt with over the longer term that is more important.

They have their own problems in this regard, which she seemed to recognize at time while being wholly oblivious to the lack of insight displayed by her comment.  

13 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Not just that, but while we were fighting the civil war over race issues, they were engaged in a wholesale campaign of slaughtering natives.  It's one of the many reasons their neighbors harbor what may most kindly be referred to as "resentments" towards the Argentines.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conquest_of_the_Desert

Anyhoo, appears modern day racists needed a flag to get behind.  So they gathered up the banners of the loser confederates and nazis.

10 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It is a question of the Feds assisting in those resettlements. Trump has stated that the Fed program will not resettle refugees in areas unless the local governments okay it.  

Executive order

Ah yes, local control is okay for me, but not for thee. 

The Texas GOP way, ladies and gentlemen! 

25 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I live in Wisconsin and we drive up to Minneapolis to visit family pretty regularly. I can count the number of Confederate flags I've seen on one hand. (Which isn't to say there's no racism here but just that it's not something I ever see.)

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

After the civil war and at the dawn of the industrial revolution there were plenty of southern Confederate rednecks that migrated north for work. It's ok when white people do it apparently. 

state border=/= national border; but nice try.

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If I escaped Syria or Mogadishu in the hopes of being an American, I can't think of a worse place to go than ND. There may be a few months per year that it's bearable but screw when the average high is 20 in the winter.  Send me back my war torn home.

If you were truly racist, and somewhat intelligent (I know, the two don't go together), you would want to relocate people from Syria or North Africa to North Dakota, because you might have quite a few die during the first winter.

Western North Dakota is the most God-forsaken place in the US.  At least if you were in Minnesota or Alaska, or Montana, you could have nice scenery to look at, and a decent amount of snow and hills to do shit.

And don't get me started on the Indian reservations.  Third world.

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

There's one at the State Capitol that was captured by the few survivors of the First Minnesota's counter-charge at Gettysburg that saved the Union line on Day 2.

https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/minnesota-has-been-refusing-to-return-a-captured-confederate-flag-to-virginia-for-more-than-a-century/

Joking aside, there is a lot of latent racism in this state. 

23 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

North Dakota seems like it sucks 

Williston, ND (my old stomping grounds - Forecast highs and lows for the week:

• Monday:  18° / -12°
  • Tuesday: 12° / -9°
  • Wednesday: 15° / 2°
  • Thursday: 29° / 17°
  • Friday: 20° / -1°
  • Saturday: 14° / 5°
  • Sunday: 23° / 10°

Sucks is an understatement.