Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

Those are sharp.  Because you have never owned anything suede, you will need a suede brush.  Even though it says "waterproof," you will probably need some silicone spray to keep em water-resistant.  The brush will keep them clean and "nappy."  The problem is that they get wet/dirty and kind of smooth in spots like the toe and heel counter.  The brush will help keep that at bay.

I finally said screw it - I've wanted a pair of black lizard skin boots for ~25 years, so I pulled the trigger.  The Nash in Midnight Lizard.  When I pulled them from the packaging, I was pleasantly surprised by how truly beautiful they are.  Pic won't do them justice.

45948268035_20ff45d7ca_b.jpg

Tecovas' customer service and pricing makes it too easy.  shutupandtakemymoney.jpg.  Ordered Tuesday, had them by 10AM Wednesday.  Not pictured: the matching belt.  The belt isn't as robust as I'd like but it's more than adequate for a dress belt.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2019 at 12:13 PM, MAROON said:

Well hell.  Just placed an order for this boot, based on this thread.  Been looking at them for awhile, finally pulled the trigger.

1_Cole_Chocolate_Pair_1200x1200.jpg?v=15

Hope they fit.  I have a hard time getting boots to fit due to a really high instep. 

well they showed up today.  Great looking boots, but I could not get my foot in them.  Sending back for a 12.5.  Hope that works because these are seriously nice boots.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, solamente73 said:

I finally said screw it - I've wanted a pair of black lizard skin boots for ~25 years, so I pulled the trigger.  The Nash in Midnight Lizard.  When I pulled them from the packaging, I was pleasantly surprised by how truly beautiful they are.  Pic won't do them justice.

Tecovas' customer service and pricing makes it too easy.  shutupandtakemymoney.jpg.  Ordered Tuesday, had them by 10AM Wednesday.  Not pictured: the matching belt.  The belt isn't as robust as I'd like but it's more than adequate for a dress belt.

Nice looking boots!

Edited by Art Vandelay

On 1/25/2019 at 1:49 PM, MAROON said:

well they showed up today.  Great looking boots, but I could not get my foot in them.  Sending back for a 12.5.  Hope that works because these are seriously nice boots.

Just an FYI, I hard a hard time getting my foot in for my caimans, but they fit perfectly once on my foot.  It just took a lot of work, but they are getting easier every time.  Still the perfect fit once on.

I was just getting ready to ask how true the sizes run.  I wear a 10.5-11 in most brands, but always have to take into consideration if the prosthetic foot will fit alright.

Ordered the same boots and couldn't get them on.  Went with the wide size and they fit great.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:26 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

So I don’t have to travel back to the Eskino Hut wasteland, can we re-list the places to go to get your boots fixed?  After much horror I found a place in Dallas (actually, the Colony) that was great.  

Then I up and moved to Houston.  Where do I go here for real repairs (not just soles and heels). Please don’t say anything that ends in “Shoe Hospital.”

Oh, and the place in Dallas is the The Colony Cobbler. David is the man. 

I highly recommend The Colony Cobbler...  I brought in a pair of 35+year old Justin Elephant boots that I got as a gift when I got accepted to UT.  They took a lot of drunken abuse and started to split on the outside at the widest part of my foot.  I had taken them into Palace Boots in Houston ( now gone) who said the only repair was to stick a patch on the split.  I bailed at the time as I thought it would look like crap.  Years later (based on recommendation here) I took them into Colony Cobbler and he was able to break the boots down (new sole and liner) and repair the damage and they look like new...

Edited by Grimas

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

you won't regret it.  i was wondering if their prices will change at all when they get their retail shops up and running.

Are they really opening retail shops? I thought their whole business model was dependent on direct/online sales. I know they've had the "pop-up store" in Austin, where you can try on boots but they still order them for you online.

A pair I bought about three years ago recently started squeaking in the heel. I sent them a message asking if there was anything I could do to fix it. They asked for the warranty number on the inside of the boot shaft and ended up sending me a brand new pair at no cost to me. The new boots arrived in two days, and they only asked that I return the used boots in the box that the new boots were in so that they could QC them. Fantastic customer service.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Coyote said:

A pair I bought about three years ago recently started squeaking in the heel. I sent them a message asking if there was anything I could do to fix it. They asked for the warranty number on the inside of the boot shaft and ended up sending me a brand new pair at no cost to me. The new boots arrived in two days, and they only asked that I return the used boots in the box that the new boots were in so that they could QC them. Fantastic customer service.

Oh man, I bought a pair of them at their first trunk sale (no warranty) and had this issue. Randomly started these super loud squeaks after like a month of wear - like can't wear in public loud. Took them to my local boot guy who is pretty good at what he does. Tried everything he could short of putting a new sole on them without getting it resolved. 

Unfortunately, no warranty on trunk sale purchases so I can either get them totally re-sole'd to (maybe? hopefully?) fix the issue or have a pair of boots sitting in a box forever. Hard to pay that amount to maybe get them fixed. They are beautiful boots - just don't buy anything at their trunk sales. 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, solamente73 said:

those are literally the best looking lizard skin boots I have ever seen and that includes when I went to the Leddy's showroom.  Wow.  

1 hour ago, Dry Elbows said:

One thing I don't like about the Tecovas (admittedly never seen a pair in person) is that they all have the same upper, just in different colors.

Yeah, the sameness doesn't bother me as much as I prefer a stitching pattern over the simple corded shaft.

16 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

those are literally the best looking lizard skin boots I have ever seen and that includes when I went to the Leddy's showroom.  Wow.  

how easy/difficult are lizard skin to take care of compared to say full quill ostrich?

what do you need to do to take care of and condition them?

2 hours ago, NoName said:

how easy/difficult are lizard skin to take care of compared to say full quill ostrich?

what do you need to do to take care of and condition them?

Per Tecovas:

Ostrich:  "In general, you may care for your ostrich boots in the same way that you’d care for your smooth leather or calfskin boots."

Reptilian Leather:  "In general, you may care for your caiman and lizard boots in the same way that you’d care for your calfskin or ostrich boots, except that we would recommend conditioning every month, regardless of the frequency of wear, to avoid leather cracking between scales."

Additional info for Lizard/Caiman in the spoiler.

Spoiler

General Care:

• In general, you may care for your caiman and lizard boots in the same way that you’d care for your calfskin or ostrich boots, except that we would recommend conditioning every month, regardless of the frequency of wear, to avoid leather cracking between scales
  • Store boots in a dry and dark place
  • Alternate boot-wearing days to let boots properly dry out
  • Ideally, store with tissue, newspaper, or a cedar shoe tree that does not stretch the leather
  • Brush dirt off after every wear with a horsehair brush; use a damp cloth if necessary

Conditioning:

We recommend conditioning every 1-2 months, depending on how often they're worn. This process may leave the boots with a slightly 'matte' finish. Here’s how to condition:

•     Remove all dirt or dust with horsehair brush or damp cloth
  •     While boots are still damp, lightly apply a conditioner over the entire boot, ideally with your fingers but can also do with a brush
  •     Let conditioner dry, then buff with horsehair brush

Polishing:

Should be done only after any conditioning, but it's entirely based on preference. If the boots are clean and you don't have time to condition, using spray shine sparingly should be fine! Use a neutral polish to avoid colors not matching. Here’s how to polish:

•     After conditioning and buffing the boots (so they are dry), apply a thin coat of wax-based neutral polish to all the areas you wish to shine. The entire area to be shined should be covered with a slightly shiny layer.
  •     Let the polish dry, then brush off with a soft cloth
  •     Buff with a horsehair brush to the desired level of shine

https://www.tecovas.com/pages/product-care

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 9:04 AM, solamente73 said:

Per Tecovas:

Ostrich:  "In general, you may care for your ostrich boots in the same way that you’d care for your smooth leather or calfskin boots."

Reptilian Leather:  "In general, you may care for your caiman and lizard boots in the same way that you’d care for your calfskin or ostrich boots, except that we would recommend conditioning every month, regardless of the frequency of wear, to avoid leather cracking between scales."

Additional info for Lizard/Caiman in the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

General Care:

• In general, you may care for your caiman and lizard boots in the same way that you’d care for your calfskin or ostrich boots, except that we would recommend conditioning every month, regardless of the frequency of wear, to avoid leather cracking between scales
  • Store boots in a dry and dark place
  • Alternate boot-wearing days to let boots properly dry out
  • Ideally, store with tissue, newspaper, or a cedar shoe tree that does not stretch the leather
  • Brush dirt off after every wear with a horsehair brush; use a damp cloth if necessary

Conditioning:

We recommend conditioning every 1-2 months, depending on how often they're worn. This process may leave the boots with a slightly 'matte' finish. Here’s how to condition:

•     Remove all dirt or dust with horsehair brush or damp cloth
  •     While boots are still damp, lightly apply a conditioner over the entire boot, ideally with your fingers but can also do with a brush
  •     Let conditioner dry, then buff with horsehair brush

Polishing:

Should be done only after any conditioning, but it's entirely based on preference. If the boots are clean and you don't have time to condition, using spray shine sparingly should be fine! Use a neutral polish to avoid colors not matching. Here’s how to polish:

•     After conditioning and buffing the boots (so they are dry), apply a thin coat of wax-based neutral polish to all the areas you wish to shine. The entire area to be shined should be covered with a slightly shiny layer.
  •     Let the polish dry, then brush off with a soft cloth
  •     Buff with a horsehair brush to the desired level of shine

https://www.tecovas.com/pages/product-care

thanks!

43 minutes ago, NoName said:

thanks!

Pro tip on ostrich.  Get a liquid conditioner and/or polish.  If you're like me, you probably grew up using kiwi or meltonian polish on shoes/boots.  Those thicker paste or creme polishes can be harder to use on a highly textured leather like ostrich.  Meltonian is better than kiwi for that purpose, but bick4 or some actual liquid is better still (I don't mean "Scuff Magic" with the foam applicator either).  As you can easily imagine, the thicker it is, the harder it is to apply around all the bumps without kind of clumping up.  It can be done, though, but with very light coats.

Same is sort of true for lizard.  And I think a liquid is better able to get between and under the scales.

1 minute ago, Masshole Horn said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a waterproof western boot? I'm killing my soles way too fast up here.

No square-toes.

I found these, but have no experience with Dan Post.

There are lots of western-styled work boots, not too different from those.  The classic answer is this, though.  Makes a pretty good work or hunting boot.

5 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

Those are classics and I should probably get another pair just because.

Looking for black though.

Double H has a lot of worky styles that might do.  Maybe Chippewa.  Dan Post is probably ok.  I think some "hecho en mexico" company has taken over the brand. 

Looks like your main deal is leather sole?  The Justin Tekno Crepes are pretty good.  If you really want waterproof as in GoreTex or similar, I don't think I have seen any others.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Anybody ever buy boots/shoes in León, Gaunajuato? We're going to the inlaws place nearby in about a week and a half, and I need to convince the womenfolk it is worth a trip there so I can pick up some boots and maybe some exotic leather for other projects.

No, but the Messkins are very good with boots and leather generally.  I probably wouldn't hesitate to buy boots that I could get my hands on.  However, it has been rumored that lots of Mexican leather is tanned old-school, with piss and brains and can stink to high heaven when wet.

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

No, but the Messkins are very good with boots and leather generally.  I probably wouldn't hesitate to buy boots that I could get my hands on.  However, it has been rumored that lots of Mexican leather is tanned old-school, with piss and brains and can stink to high heaven when wet.

Brains would be an entirely different method of tanning than any of the methods used for commercial, however some old school veg tanning used urine and animal waste in part of the curing process. Supposedly comes from the Moroccan influence in the Iberian Peninsula and then central and south America.

10 years ago I did 2 x 6 week hitches in the Free and Sovereign State of Campeche, but did not acquire turtle boots, beautiful tobacco brown pair in my size in the store window.

Sometimes I think, “Why didn’t you buy the boots?!? You didn’t kill them.” Other times I’m quiet happy I didn’t buy them. Not sure of the legalese in getting them in anymore, but I probably wouldn’t have felt comfortable wearing them in public then or now. I did think about it a couple dozen times though when down there.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:44 PM, Grimas said:

I highly recommend The Colony Cobbler...  I brought in a pair of 35+year old Justin Elephant boots that I got as a gift when I got accepted to UT.  They took a lot of drunken abuse and started to split on the outside at the widest part of my foot.  I had taken them into Palace Boots in Houston ( now gone) who said the only repair was to stick a patch on the split.  I bailed at the time as I thought it would look like crap.  Years later (based on recommendation here) I took them into Colony Cobbler and he was able to break the boots down (new sole and liner) and repair the damage and they look like new...

Hmmm, live right next to the Colony in Frisco and I have a pair of Lucchese boots that need some work done.  So good things to say?  Been needing a place to take them in to and at the very least get them resoled.  

1 minute ago, thestud said:

I’m the one that recommended The Colony Cobbler back on the old site. David is bar none the best I’ve ever seen at leather repair. I live 90 minutes away now and I still refuse to even consider anyone else. He’s that damned good.

Can't argue with that - very much appreciate and righteous timing.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

I ended up getting both the Dan Post Black waterproof boots and Red Wing 1155 Pecos.  Breaking them in is going slower than I've encountered in the past.  What do y'all do for breaking in boots that need it?

Only thing I can think of is time.  But, also, get yourself a pair of thin compression stockings to wear when you're breaking them in.  They slide in and out easy and because they are thin and slippery. I got these for that purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6N3DXV?aaxitk=pjVdZmXPuUKA23IH4qvpZQ&pd_rd_i=B01N6N3DXV&pf_rd_p=e037c154-e093-48a4-b127-477e5e294e3f&hsa_cr_id=8494103780801&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F51zj1KK1VnL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B01N6N3DXV

I am a boot slut (31 pairs) and I love the two pairs of Tecovas that I own but damn if I didn't pick up a thousand dollar pair of barely-used  Luchesse classics a couple of months ago  on Ebay for $218.00.  Wearing a size 13 really helps when it comes to these auctions because it cuts down on the number of people who bid on them. The seller included the original receipt from when her husband bought them five years ago. Ironically, they were bought at Allen's boots.  Been wearing them like crazy:

i-stSgmd5-X2.jpg

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Only thing I can think of is time.  But, also, get yourself a pair of thin compression stockings to wear when you're breaking them in.  They slide in and out easy and because they are thin and slippery. I got these for that purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6N3DXV?aaxitk=pjVdZmXPuUKA23IH4qvpZQ&pd_rd_i=B01N6N3DXV&pf_rd_p=e037c154-e093-48a4-b127-477e5e294e3f&hsa_cr_id=8494103780801&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F51zj1KK1VnL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B01N6N3DXV

I am a boot slut (31 pairs) and I love the two pairs of Tecovas that I own but damn if I didn't pick up a thousand dollar pair of barely-used  Luchesse classics a couple of months ago  on Ebay for $218.00.  Wearing a size 13 really helps when it comes to these auctions because it cuts down on the number of people who bid on them. The seller included the original receipt from when her husband bought them five years ago. Ironically, they were bought at Allen's boots.  Been wearing them like crazy:

i-stSgmd5-X2.jpg

Dang...I'm not sure "boot slut" is an adequate description.  31 pairs? Dude that's crazy.

TLDR:  Jealous mofo here.

Edited by SHOOTER12

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

those are nice.  i went by the store yesterday to check it out.  looks great.  i think i'll get the chocolate lizards for my bday.  will be my third pair of tecovas.

Yeah, I think Tecovas may become a serious addiction if this first pair works out as I expect, i.e. comfort, fit, quality.