Cowboy Boots

Silky Johnston

On 3/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Cuero Eastwoods in black. Just couldn't pass up the price and I don't currently have any black boots.

Ordered some Saturday. They’re definitely not winning the shipping battle with Tecovas. Mine are still sitting in Houston. 

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:
Ordered some Saturday. They’re definitely not winning the shipping battle with Tecovas. Mine are still sitting in Houston. 

Ordered mine Sunday and they were supposed to arrive yesterday but ended up arriving today. Still pretty fast. They're nice boots. Almost identical in look, fit and quality to Tecovas (I have two pair of those -- the ostrich and the caiman). In fact I wonder if Cuero is using the same manufacturer in Leon, Mexico.

175395acf42eae9c84829b806620280c.jpg

However there's a flaw in the stitching just above the heel on one boot. Trying to decide if I should return them or not. It's small and probably not noticeable with jeans (it's on the inside ankle), and I could probably cover it with polish, but still...

16f1144b06e1cf67130a20fe58f3b46a.jpgfef86b8728bf29c84e4688708a04beed.jpg

Edited by Art Vandelay

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not bad!  Yeah, youre entitled to an exchange I would think, or return if you want, but I don't think that's ever going to amount to anything.  Some black shoe polish would fix the discoloration and make that tuft sit down.

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards. I don't think it's a big deal. I will say they're very comfortable right out of the box, just like my Tecovas. All in all, well worth $150!

• Like 1

Gawd that's so weird looking without stitching coming through the lining.  It's really common among less-than-high-end boots from what I've seen at the western stores.

With stitching, it actually stiffens the shaft of the boot some, in addition to being decorative and keeping the lining tacked down  I sense, though, that it doesn't do that as effectively if it doesn't come through the lining. I suppose that "cording" would have the same effect, depending on how it's done. Will be interesting to see if the tops flop over on all these.

Also seems odd to me that there's much cost saving not stitching through the lining.  Either way you gotta glue the lining to the shaft, but then I guess you have to stitch through more material, but they use a damned sewing machine, so what's the big deal?

Edited by TwiceHorn

I believe the whole traditional reason for stitching through the lining came from back in the early days of cowboy boots when they only had stuff like wheat paste for glue. It just didn't hold very well, so the stitching held the liner in when the glue broke down. I suspect the same goes for the toe bug. You also have to remember that these boots back in the day were worn in all weather conditions and every day, so that probably happened pretty quickly. It's not such an issue now as long as the glue is even and there isn't a problem with the leather, but glue does regularly break down in the soles, so proper construction there is important.

16 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Also, it takes a lot more skill to sew up the side seam perfectly, trim it properly, and then hammer it flat so that it isn't a nuisance. If you make the shaft inside out you hide that seam and speed up your process.

Didn't even notice that (the lining covering up the seam).  That may be unconsciously part of why I think it looks so weird.

I am not following how making the shaft "inside out" avoids the seam, though, and I think  I have seen custom makers working shafts inside out?

Edited by TwiceHorn

i got the same suede cuero's but i'm exchanging them.  i just don't think i'd wear them very often or pick them over my tan tecova's.  they're sending me the cherry ropers in return.

there was a funky stitch or knot right on the sole by the heel.  i wish i would've taken a picture before sending them back.  i hope they work out the issues before they start selling the exotics.

The leather on the Cuero Eastwoods looks weathered while the leather on the Tecovas Cartwrights is smooth. They're both calf skin, but I think the Tecovas look like traditional calf skin boots. 

Can anybody speak to the comfort of the Eastwoods? I need a severe beater for rodeo committee work next year. 

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The leather on the Cuero Eastwoods looks weathered while the leather on the Tecovas Cartwrights is smooth. They're both calf skin, but I think the Tecovas look like traditional calf skin boots. 

Can anybody speak to the comfort of the Eastwoods? I need a severe beater for rodeo committee work next year. 

Mine were very comfortable right out of the box. The fit is almost identical to my Tecovas.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 10:20 PM, thestud said:

I love it when someone looks at my boots and says “oh hey I’ve got a pair of black full quills just like those!”. Then I lift my pant leg up and show them they don’t own anything like what I’m wearing. Very pretentious I know.

I do this too, but mainly so I can surprise them when they discover the length of my penis. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
...just enough to win.

On 4/5/2019 at 10:33 PM, BearSchlong said:

Caught a stingray last week. If I catch one tomorrow then I'll certainly look at it differently. Haven't thought about them in terms of boots.

I'd keep catching them and not wear them. They look like black boots dipped in silver glitter. It looks dumb as heck. 

I have a pair of pecan colored eel boots, and some tan shark boots. I love them both. They were a b**** to find, but they're really unique. I've gotten countless compliments on them. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

So, almost 10 years ago on the refuge forums a Texas boy told about getting some boots made from snapping turtle. Went by the call sign of brazosboyt. The pictures from the thread I could find are of course dead, but I think these are the ones:

gZhByfDF_o.jpg

Nice boots, but I'm really more curious about the leather as I can't find much else about snapping turtle. Specifically I'm looking for more information about what size turtles it took to get the leather and what was the cost to tan them. I know a lot of folks from the refuge forums migrated over here, so if anybody has any info I'd sure appreciate it. 

So, almost 10 years ago on the refuge forums a Texas boy told about getting some boots made from snapping turtle. Went by the call sign of brazosboyt. The pictures from the thread I could find are of course dead, but I think these are the ones:
gZhByfDF_o.jpg
Nice boots, but I'm really more curious about the leather as I can't find much else about snapping turtle. Specifically I'm looking for more information about what size turtles it took to get the leather and what was the cost to tan them. I know a lot of folks from the refuge forums migrated over here, so if anybody has any info I'd sure appreciate it. 

From what I recall the turtles were pretty big! My brother is friends with him. If you have something specific you would like to know I can ask him.

I'm breaking in a pair of Tecovas Cartwrights right now. They are one of the most comfortable boots I've worn. As long as they don't pinch anywhere or kill my heels, I'll be happy. 

Tecovas claims to use a Brannock Device to size their boots. I guess they're pretty close, but I had to go up a half size from my Allen Edmonds. 

• Like 1

Just sent back the Cuero Eastwoods and exchanging them for same boot, 1/2 size larger. 

Seems the Cueros are 1/2 size larger for me than comparable Tecovas and Luccheses that I own. I'll know for sure when they come in. 

Got the Eastwoods two weeks ago for $150, and now they are priced at $184. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedDirtTexan said:

Just sent back the Cuero Eastwoods and exchanging them for same boot, 1/2 size larger. 

Seems the Cueros are 1/2 size larger for me than comparable Tecovas and Luccheses that I own. I'll know for sure when they come in. 

Got the Eastwoods two weeks ago for $150, and now they are priced at $184. 

wish i had seem them at 150, would have jumped on them just to see if they were decent with free returns :(

Slightly related, but any good recommendations on a good boot sock? I’ve been wearing my old thorlos from my Marine days but they’re getting up in wear, too thin, and are made with a different boot and purpose in mind.

Still work fine, but if I need to replace them I might as well reshop around.

Slightly related, but any good recommendations on a good boot sock? I’ve been wearing my old thorlos from my Marine days but they’re getting up in wear, too thin, and are made with a different boot and purpose in mind.

Still work fine, but if I need to replace them I might as well reshop around.

852bb4607291f5c4db7d28644fc199c1.jpg
  • Like 1